User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosworth L8 ecu faults possible to repair??

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Cosworth L8 ecu faults possible to repair??

Hello

Does anyone know of any companies that are able to test/repair L8 Weber-Marelli/Magneti-Marelli ecu's???

I have a red L8 which has had an interesting life before I got it. I have repaired a blown track on the rear think it was the TPS polarity that caused it. Second fault I found was a blown diode on pin 10 circuit which is ground ref. for ecu relay, possibly had a type B relay fitted instead of standard ford type A which fired 12v up that leg.

Issue I'm having now when I connect it to my loom and switch IGN II on the Fuel pump runs straight from power up no prime for a second then cuts off and injectors randomly firing which I can unplug one at a time and reconnect and they stop.

I know its old tech by todays standards but must be someone out there with the gear to hook it up and fault find??
    MSD did get back to me saying could be baby board issue or coding but they couldn't check hardware.

Cheers
    Stu

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Re: Cosworth L8 ecu faults possible to repair??

If you cannot find someone in UK try
    https://www.ecu-rc.nl/?Tid=1
    maybe he has experience in fixing Weber ECU's. (he is in the Netherlands)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniliteman For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Do MSD not do any repairs or testing like that ?

Or likes of BBA Reman, ECUDoctor, ECUtesting ? Rp-Lab ? https://rp-lab.com/aboutus.shtml

Would it be cheaper just to source another ?

diagnostic time can be expensive....before any repair.

or a quick google....and holy F'ing expensive. They claim to repair....would need to be a brand new ecu at that price ! lol

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183997167003
    Last edited by stevieturbo; 02-02-2023 at 21:30.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I did mail MSD Stewart said they don't check hardware unless its a know circuit they can fix. Did say sounds like a baby board problem EPROM encoding failure.

Had one company get back to me with prices so might go with them as it gets the ecu checked over before sending into MSD i guess for software side of things.

Thank you for your enquiry

We can test the ECU and if faulty, the estimated cost of repairs will be £225-325 +Vat. All units are stress-tested extensively to a component level. If the unit is not faulty or beyond repair, a testing fee of £125.00 +Vat will be applied. Our current turnaround time is 5-7 working days for a full test & repair. All repaired units are returned with a 12-month warranty and will not require coding when refitting to the vehicle.

Subject to a credit check, for UK customers, we now also offer an interest-free option to spread the cost over 6 monthly payments!

You can have the unit removed at your local garage and sent to our workshop address below.

ECU REPAIRS
    Unit 3 Brookmarsh Industrial Estate
    70 Norman Road, Greenwich
    London, SE10 9QE
    United Kingdom

Going to get a couple hours with the ECU the night and finish tracing the circuit board for that pin checking components on the track as I go. I want to get to the point where I've traced it to a chip then I can say done all I can and get it sent in for a proper check I guess

Thanks

Really..if there are that many issues with it, dodgy repairs etc etc...bin it and buy another.

I'd be surprised if an ecu repair company will want to touch or warranty something someone else has already been butchering at.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

My 1st Project
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Have you tried James at AutoDynamix ?

https://www.autodynamix.co.uk/auto-d...s-cosworth-yb/

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

emailed waiting on a reply

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    Really..if there are that many issues with it, dodgy repairs etc etc...bin it and buy another.

I'd be surprised if an ecu repair company will want to touch or warranty something someone else has already been butchering at.
    Just the email i got back from them bud, dodgy reviews online so patching them.

I get the chuck it and buy another way of thinking but part of me wants to see if it can be fixed! got the dosh to give it a go and if it helps others in the future then fair enough.
    I thought I would have came across a few posts etc when searching online of people having faults on ecu's especially with it being Cosworth stuff but have found very little so will keep the post updated on the outcome.

+ Reply to Thread