User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burton camshaft Bf63

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Burton camshaft Bf63

Hi all has anyone on here used a burton bf63 camshaft in a pinto for race or rally what hp figures and torque figures are possible is it a high torque camshaft cheers mario.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Re: Burton camshaft Bf63

Excellent cam in my opinion and well liked overhere (Netherlands) for tarmac rally. With a proper head and twin 48's I've seen 200 bhp on the dyno.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniliteman For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

As the Man above says, not too much valve overlap @ TDC so plenty of mid range torque.

I have the same cam fitted in a 2.0 engine with an experimental down draught head but as yet it’s not seen the Rolling Road so I have no idea on power.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Cheers guys thanks for your help

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Excellent cam in my opinion and well liked overhere (Netherlands) for tarmac rally. With a proper head and twin 48's I've seen 200 bhp on the dyno.
    Hi Leon,
    Hope all is well.
    What kind of CR you would like to use with BF63 ?
    Since the BF63 has a strong mid range torque ( afaik ) it could also be a good choice for forest/gravel rallies as well, could not it ?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I would say around 11.5 to 12.1 on 98 octane fuel cheers mario

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mariors2000 View Post
    I would say around 11.5 to 12.1 on 98 octane fuel cheers mario
    Thank you very much.
    What is your engine specs with the BF63 ?
    We have successfully used Bf63 in one of our rally cars in the past with 45s 38mm chokes but I have lost the engine build data. Due to the poor fuel over here, we use %20 toluen and some good quality octane booster.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I run a camshaft with 106 lsa and 312 deg duration on inlet and exhaust with 12.5 compression on 98 octane with twin 45mm Webber's and 38mm chokes do you know camshaft bf63 lsa angle is it 110 deg cheers mario

My Race Car
    Thanks

I run a camshaft with 106 lsa and 312 deg duration on inlet and exhaust with 12.5 compression on 98 octane with twin 45mm Webber's and 38mm chokes do you know camshaft bf63 lsa angle is it 110 deg cheers mario
    At the moment, I do not know but in a few weeks time I will know as I am going to have few of my camshafts mapped. However, as far as I remember it was 110deg.
    By the way, you seemed to have a quite a duration. Is it a custom grind to your specs or a known profile ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1903 View Post
    At the moment, I do not know but in a few weeks time I will know as I am going to have few of my camshafts mapped. However, as far as I remember it was 110deg.
    By the way, you seemed to have a quite a duration. Is it a custom grind to your specs or a known profile ?
    Graham has a BF63 camshaft to test along with other cams, however things seem to have ground to a halt after problems with the Dyno and cylinder head.

I have a BF63 cam fitted to a down draught head that’s covered on a thread elsewhere on this forum. Compression’s around 11.8.1 with 110* lobe centres. Basically the 63 is a similar profile to the German Group 1 cam with another 40 thou lift. It certainly drives nicely in the car, I can’t give you any power figures as I have not managed to find a Rolling Road that’s willing to open Saturday mornings.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    Graham has a BF63 camshaft to test along with other cams, however things seem to have ground to a halt after problems with the Dyno and cylinder head.

I have a BF63 cam fitted to a down draught head that’s covered on a thread elsewhere on this forum. Compression’s around 11.8.1 with 110* lobe centres. Basically the 63 is a similar profile to the German Group 1 cam with another 40 thou lift. It certainly drives nicely in the car, I can’t give you any power figures as I have not managed to find a Rolling Road that’s willing to open Saturday mornings.

Hi,
    Exactly, I was also looking forward to Graham’s more cam testing on the dyno. I have also arranged couple of profiles to test for him. However, I did not know he was going to test the BF63 as well. Obviously, test engine must have more or less the right CR for the cams which should be tested.
    German Gr.1 engined RS2000 had the 44IDFs as well back in the days afaik but with less CR if I am not wrong. And when Ford was selling those Gr.1 crate engines with Gr.1 cast manifold those were quoted 165bhp. Do you also happen to remember something like that ? At a certain point with the Gr.2 rules the same engine but probably with a different cam they have used twin DCOEs and headers and power was in the region of 175-180bhp ( again, afaik ).
    It would be very nice If Graham includes the BF63 along some GTS range of cams.
    Our dyno cell is also now operative and will be testing some cams that I have in the near future along with some headers etc etc.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

As said above around 11.8:1 CR. Depends on fuel (and octane booster) used. To get the most out of this cam you will need twin 48's with 40mm chokes.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Thank you very much Leon.
    If I interpret correctly, this makes the BF63 more of a tarmac rally cam rather than a slower forest cam since the 48s with 40mm chokes may be less responsive coming out from the corners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    As said above around 11.8:1 CR. Depends on fuel (and octane booster) used. To get the most out of this cam you will need twin 48's with 40mm chokes.
    I am sticking with 45 Weber’s with 38mm chokes.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    I am sticking with 45 Weber’s with 38mm chokes.
    Drivability and low-mid range in the forest should be better but probably with sacrified top end I would imagine. If I were to use BF63 in our slow top speed rallies with slow corners and rather short straights I would also stick to 45s with the existing gearing.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Hi hawk it's a wade camshaft 520x I'm in Australia but company has closed down a very good camshaft hear in Australia cheers mario.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Hi hawk it's a wade camshaft 520x I'm in Australia but company has closed down a very good camshaft hear in Australia cheers mario.
    Hi Mario,
    I recall that you have mentioned the 520x from Wade before. Do you have dome pistons for the 12.5:1 or skimmed the head to the limit or welded chambers or may be a 1.6 head ?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Flat top piston, piston 10 thou out of block with head machined to get the right compression .it was around 100 thou off the head also we didnt get 1600 pinto in Australia its a carby 2 litre head cheers mario.
    Last edited by mariors2000; 22-10-2023 at 21:27.

+ Reply to Thread