User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tran - X half shafts

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Tran - X half shafts

Have a broken Tran - X half shaft standard English axle with Group 4 style hubs - Any new or second hand shafts available?

Neil 01738 550005

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Tran - X half shafts

If I were you I would invest in a pair off new shafts for Christmas if funds permit. Second hand shafts can be a bit risky as they need to be kept to the correct side of the vehicle to keep wheel rotation in the right direction. Halts shafts running the incorrect way won't last long at all if used in anger.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Why?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Agree totally.
    Unfortunately Quaife no longer supply the Tran - X half shafts. Other that having a custom set made. Its not worth the investment. Talked with Jake from 3Jdriveline. Very helpful turns out he is ex Tran-X. Plan to order one of his kits.

If any one is looking for a Tran X set of rear English Group 1 Hubs and one good driveshaft ?? The other would make a good ornament as the splines are shaped like a banana. (250bhp and big slicks)

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I had a set of Tran X shafts and thought they were very poor quality, i sold them on, the best ones if found are the ones Retroford sell, really nicely machined and no failures as yet --touch wood. I still cant see why a shaft should fail by swapping it onto the other side of the car and changing the direction of rotation???

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

shafts which have had a lot of load through them can develop a gradual twist over time, so subsequently putting torque through them in the opposite direction and twisting them back the other way is more likely to generate a fatigue crack and failure

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    shafts which have had a lot of load through them can develop a gradual twist over time, so subsequently putting torque through them in the opposite direction and twisting them back the other way is more likely to generate a fatigue crack and failure
    That's for the same reason all heavy duty HGV axles have one halfshaft longer than the other so they can't be swapped from side to side.

A known trick with a competition halfshaft is to paint a thin white line along the length of it to monitor the amount of twist in the shaft.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

But i guess if a shaft is passed its yield stress and at a point where its past its elastic limit and wont return, you're likely to get a failure anyway, regardless of the direction of rotation, either way, you're applying a shear stress through a shaft thats exceeded yield strength. You could also argue that it might actually be stronger with the rotation reversed depending on the material structure.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Agree totally.
    Unfortunately Quaife no longer supply the Tran - X half shafts. Other that having a custom set made. Its not worth the investment. Talked with Jake from 3Jdriveline. Very helpful turns out he is ex Tran-X. Plan to order one of his kits.

If any one is looking for a Tran X set of rear English Group 1 Hubs and one good driveshaft ?? The other would make a good ornament as the splines are shaped like a banana. (250bhp and big slicks)
    id, be interested in the flanges, price and condition dependant.

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    A known trick with a competition halfshaft is to paint a thin white line along the length of it to monitor the amount of twist in the shaft.
    I've heard that trick too.

I'm no engineer but I can see that turning them round could cause them to fracture quicker. Only after being reminded about the it though

Makes me wonder about the 2nd hand shafts I bought now, fully floating atlas, not English. But the same basic out come I would think.

+ Reply to Thread