User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electric line-lock solenoid for brakes

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Electric line-lock solenoid for brakes

Hello all,

I see a lot of builds on here with lever type brake line-locks fitted, but has any tried using an electric solenoid type? I was thinking of this one...

www.mattlewisracing.co.uk/product.php/2496/1228

It'd be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Electric line-lock solenoid for brakes

We used a very similar device on a drag car years ago, worked perfectly. It was wired to a button on the steering wheel, so once in the blocks and the brakes applied, the button was pushed, and a burnout followed every time

They seem to be a lot cheaper now than they were in the 80s though, thanks (probably) to the Chinese.

Simon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to runoutofrigos For This Useful Post:

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runoutofrigos View Post
    We used a very similar device on a drag car years ago, worked perfectly. It was wired to a button on the steering wheel, so once in the blocks and the brakes applied, the button was pushed, and a burnout followed every time

They seem to be a lot cheaper now than they were in the 80s though, thanks (probably) to the Chinese.

Simon
    I was thinking of fitting this way, but maybe a switch on the gear lever, or close by.

Another question; if the solenoid were ever to fail on one of these, would you be left with brakes that are jammed on, or brakes that stop working?

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Well, I don't know about the particular device you have chosen, but ours was definitely "fail-safe". It works as a through joint until the solenoid is powered, which then blocks the line. This is why the brakes need to be applied before powering the solenoid, as it holds the pressure to the calipers. As soon as the power is killed, the pressure is released, just like taking your foot off the pedal.

Simon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to runoutofrigos For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runoutofrigos View Post
    Well, I don't know about the particular device you have chosen, but ours was definitely "fail-safe". It works as a through joint until the solenoid is powered, which then blocks the line. This is why the brakes need to be applied before powering the solenoid, as it holds the pressure to the calipers. As soon as the power is killed, the pressure is released, just like taking your foot off the pedal.

Simon
    Yep, very common and safe. Used it on mine for years.

There are a few different styles of solenoid that look a little nicer if that matters to you.

Only one negative with some, is they do not directly take typical brake pipe fittings, and there can be adapters to screw in first. Americans must use odd pipe threads for a lot of stuff, but adapters are usually supplied where necessary

Mine is the TCI brand

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...kr=line%20lock

Many years ago I actually had a little key operated unit with a one way valve in it. Plumbed into front brakes for a security device. With the key "on", when the brakes were applied...they would not release. A neat theft prevention device, but it never really took off.
    Turn the key "off" and brakes released and back to normal
    Last edited by stevieturbo; 27-12-2021 at 21:35.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread