User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlas Axle Trailing Arm Chassis Mounts

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Atlas Axle Trailing Arm Chassis Mounts

This is a question in relation to a kit-car, so apologies if that's not OK.

I have a 300bhp, ca18det powered kit car and I'm suffering with traction issues under hard acceleration and cornering - I have decent tyres and the car has had the suspension 'setup' by ProComp but at the time it was setup Matt noted that the trailing arm mounts on the chassis had been fitted in the wrong place and that the car was already 'squatting' (arms pointing slightly down towards the car) when the car is sat normally.

I intend to move the chassis mounts to rectify the problem - is there a 'correct' angle for the arms to sit at? Perfectly horizontal or with the arms pointing slightly up towards the car?

Thanks in advance

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Atlas Axle Trailing Arm Chassis Mounts

I have a 300bhp, ca18det powered kit car
    to be honest thats your problem! a very light car and oddles of turbo torque im not sure its going to make much difference whatever you do with the arms!

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Atlas Axle Trailing Arm Chassis Mounts

I have driven a number of similar cars (Locosts with too much power) and my experience is that you can gain a good deal of traction by getting the 4-link reasonably correct.

My base setting for a car that needs to handle is to have both links parallell to each other and slighty higher at the front when the car is in "driving mode" (ie with driver and possibly passenger, full tank). If you need more acceleration grip you can move the top link forward mount down a bit (or the lower link upwards but it will give slightly different results).

"Slightly higher" is somewhere around 10 mm IME.

The way you have it set up now, it's quite possible that the engine torque tries to lift the rear axle and that reduces the grip. By changing the link angles you can get the torque to push the axle into the ground instead.

Regards

Gustaf

4. The Following User Says Thank You to therealpinto For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread