User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bike carbs help

Bodger

Thanks

Bike carbs help

Hi all hope someone can help me I'm pulling my hair out.
    Made up a manifold and attached the zx6r carbs to the pinto, connected up fuel hose etc.
    but now Ive come to fitting the throttle cable but I can't get the butterfly on the carb to spring back when the cables attached. I'm using the same cable as I had attached to my twin 40s, the carb themselves release fine when moved by hand.
    Ive searched the net and when on the bike they have two cables one is a pull cable? Not really clued up in bike carbs any ideas of how to get it to snap back to the tickover stop would be very much appreciated.
    Or photos anything.
    thanks in advance

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Bike carbs help

As you say - on a bike they are pulled closed so either rig up a short length of 'return' cable attached to a spring away from the carbs or hook a spring directly to the quadrant although this is bulkier in an area without an excess of space! Bike return springs are quite lightweight so cable friction will stop them closing.

Bodger

Thanks

That's what I'm thinking I've still got my linkage from the 40s so I could borrow a spring and see if this does the trick. Thinking about it I suppose the bike return springs will be more light weight than I originally thought, especially when you factor in the length of the throttle cable I'm using.
    I will have a go with a spring that should do the job hopefully I just can't get my head round how the pull cable works.

Thanks for the reply

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oldskoolrule For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolrule View Post
    I will have a go with a spring that should do the job hopefully I just can't get my head round how the pull cable works.
    You have two cables and a circular quadrant on the carbs and a similar quadrant built into the twist grip on the bars. The cables attach to quadrants and one will run clockwise, the other anticlockwise - there are usually cable end guides to direct them the right way. Twist the grip back to open and twist it forward to close - its easy!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Bike carbs help

I attached one end of my return spring to the quadrant and the other end to the cable guide. Seems to work ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodger

Thanks

Cheers for all the replys, managed to find a spring and rigged it up and it works fine. Even managed to fire the car up with them on and take for a little test drive. Omg what a difference the bike carbs are so much smoother and it Revs so much better, can't believe I've been messing with dellortos and webbers all these years!!

Can't wait to get the new head and cam on...

+ Reply to Thread