Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Re: Live Mapping Cosworth ECUs - A How To

The L8 ones all sit on an encryption board and can not be live mapped by anyone else than the company you buy from and me (That I know of) , there are only 2 sources for these that are any good: Motorsport Developments would be my recommendation if you decide to go down that route.

However the price of a P8 and chip would probably work out less and you can run wasted spark with no hardware mods.
    Cosworth Electronics / Pectel Dealer, Syvecs Dealer.
    Europes Largest Link ECU Dealer - Aim Sportline Dash and Datalogger Dealer, ECU Master for South East UK
    UK Mahle and Reinz Distributor - 3J Driveline Dealer - Corbeau Seat Dealer
    ECU & Dash packages preconfigured and custom looms made to order.
    Professional conversions - Engine Swaps - Complete Project Design
    0% Finance Available on all products and services.
    [B]Engine Parts for most makes, all Ford parts kept in stock, Pinto, Xflow, YB, V4, V6, Zetec, Dratec, Wiring Looms Plugs, Plug Kits and Loom Products, Head Refurbishment and Porting, Engine Rebuilding Services.
    w: www.shopbhp.com e: sales@shopbhp.com
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandshatchperformance

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

i have been reading about RP Lab they have a good software and datalogging systems.

my 1st step will be conect a wideband to the exhaust, ostrich on the board and look for knock, then i will adjust the afr's and work on the ignition table, this should improve a lot the car but without proper software i won't able to do the ALS.

P8 seems to be a good option but it will have to be in the next stage as this car has to run on the 7th.

Management Team Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by veteco View Post
    i have been reading about RP Lab they have a good software and datalogging systems.

my 1st step will be conect a wideband to the exhaust, ostrich on the board and look for knock, then i will adjust the afr's and work on the ignition table, this should improve a lot the car but without proper software i won't able to do the ALS.

P8 seems to be a good option but it will have to be in the next stage as this car has to run on the 7th.
    I think RP can enable ALS on your current chip ( well actually I think they take the maps out of your chip and use a different software version) this option would be best suited as you are modifying the setup often and want to map yourself.

Again though the software is more advanced on the P8.
    Europes Largest Link ECU Dealer - Aim Sportline Dash and Datalogger Dealer, ECU Master for South East UK
    [B]Engine Parts for most makes, all Ford parts kept in stock, Pinto, Xflow, YB, V4, V6, Zetec, Dratec, Wiring Looms Plugs, Plug Kits and Loom Products, Head Refurbishment and Porting, Engine Rebuilding Services.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clint For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

that is a great idea i will contact them for more informations

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

i have contacted them and it will be possible to have ALS but with a weber baby board, should have more news this week.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

RP Lab will do this but i have to send them the bin from my tune and they will return me an encripted file for 250€, that is a bit to much, i'm considering the megasquirt.

Meanwile, i've spent a couple of hours yesterday and we are having some problems, ecu ground was disconnected and the fuel pickup doesn't seem right to me.

the fuel injectors are maxed out and it still runs lean, and i've been thinking about the map sensor is it usual to have problems with them?

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Measure the voltage on the map sensor whith the ecu on and the engine stopped - should be around 2.5v for a 2bar and 1.6v for a 3 bar.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clint For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I made a google search for re-mapping Sierra Cosworth ecu and I ended up here. I got my friends Sierra Cosworth engine ecu in my hand and another chip, which he got with it. I was reading them with my eprom programmer, other one is M27C64 and the other AM27C64. Anyway, I think something happened (same has happened with Nissan S13 stock chips also), that I end up reading zeros or eights various points in the .bin. So I read both of the chips and made a compare on them and I end up finding a lot more than 20 differences on them. Actually even between the read's I end up getting different data, but now they both give same readings when compered to their own files.

I would really appreciate if I could get an original Sierra Cosworth L6 .bin from someone. I have a feeling that neither one of those chips is gonna work properly anymore. I could try to fix them by figuring out which one of the chips files has the correct data in every misread point and change it.

Also if someone could help me out a little bit with the thing, what do I need to do if there is bigger injectors changed? I know what Nissan's need, but this one is completely new to me. My friend told me that the other chip was supposed to be for the bigger injectors, but I didn't find differences from the data I saw with Tuner Pro (and the XDF from Tuner Pro website).

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

I can help, can you post a picture of the inside of the ecu.

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Attached is a STD Chip in Motorolla format.

L6STD.MOT

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Also it sounds like you are reading a chip with a protection board, can you photo the chip and also tell use what you are trying to read them with and on what setting.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

The ecu I am working on looks like level 6 on this page : http://www.bigturbo.co.uk/main1.htm
    I also have Level 8 ecu on my desk, but the one in the car was one saying level 6 on top of the case.

I have Willem eprom programmer, which I bought ages ago, maybe around 2004-2005. Sofware is EPROM 0.97ja for the programmer. Haven't touch any other dip's on board than the one the program is showing to change. I've been programming chips for Nissan without problems with that.

Thanks for help. I managed to find a site with L1, L6 etc. original bin's through this forum, after crawling all 10 pages from cosworth related index

Oh, and what comes to the injector change, I understood that the engine is having injectors from 4x4 sierra cosworth in 2wd cosworth. I made comparison between the bin's I read from the chips I had to the stock rom I found, and they were having some differences on some constants named boost limit etc. and some tiny change on fuel map and also ignition. Those are the only changes I noticed, so I am still a bit confused about the injector changing on ecu side, but I guess I will get that in some point.
    Last edited by tahonen; 26-01-2013 at 21:50.
    Nissan 200SX S13 -90
    www.ta-ve.fi

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I've done a lot of mapping on the ECU's used in the American 2.3 Lima turbo 4 cylinder cars. I use the Moates Quarterhorse with a software called Binary Editor to do that. These are EEC4 based.

I'm very interested in being able to work with the P8 in our Cosworth YB turbo engine. So, I've been having a chat with Dave Blundell at Moates about using the Ostrich. He is not aware of anyone using the Ostrich with the Cosworth w-M ECU's.

Can you provide a bit more description on how you hooked the Ostrich up to the ECU?

I'd also like some more information on the definition file and any modifications to the ECU to allow the connection to the Ostrich.

Go here for a video of a dyno pull on our normally aspirated 2.3 Lima Esslinger ARCA headed road race Mk1 Capri. The video clearly shows real time data logging using the Quarterhorse and Binary Editor.

http://www.amcansolutions.com/amcand...et_On_Dyno.MOV

You can see the Binary Editor data screen pretty well in the video.

* Left side LARGE yellow digital is absolute manifold pressure in Bar.
    * Directly below is manifold vacuum in/hg
    * Directly below is manifold vacuum in psi
    * Left side third down digital is intake manifold air temperature (small hard to read in the video)
    * Left round gauge is spark advance
    * Middle round gauge is rpm; rpm is also shown digitally in green top row second from the right
    * Directly under digital rpm is Load
    * Right round gauge is AFR. In yellow just above is commanded AFR (only works in closed loop)
    * Upper row far right is AFR in digital
    * Bottom row center yellow digital is coolant temperature

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

The Ostrich simply plugs into the 28 pin DIL socket, I use Tuner Pro which directly interfaces to the Moates Ostrich.

If you email me your .bin file I will create an xdf file for you.

I love the P8 ECU its extremely versatile and robust with the right firmware, my current car is running a modified until that does not need emulation to map just simple rs232.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Clint,

I know how to pull a bin from an EEC4 with a Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. At this time I haven't purchased an Ostrich or Tunerpro. I think I need both of those to pull the bin.

Please confirm.

Below are pictures of the P8. Can you identify the correct socket? All sockets are populated. Do I disconnect the ribbon cable to the add on board?

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

That is an old board that added Anti Lag, distributorless ignition and Water Injection Features (the little board wrapped in black tape has a chip and a relay on it) we do it all without the boards now and more - but this is more expensive.

Do you have the ability to read that ROM ? if so send me the resultant file clint@turbosport.co.uk

Mapping that wont be too hard so if its just calibration you need to to I can show you the maps to change, but if you want to change to different strategies then it might be easier to start with an unencrypted chip and getting rid of them boards...

The ostrich 2 should be fine with that 1mbit chip as it can emulate up to 4mb.

You will need the Ostrich 2 and Tunerpro RT.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Clint,

I need guidance on how to pull the bin. The EEC4's have a J3 port to attach to. All my hardware is based on connecting to that port.

I'm still struggling with how to connect to the P8. There are no open sockets. Which socket does the Ostrich connect to? My Moates Quarterhorse can read the bin on an EEC4 once its connected. Can an Ostrich do the same?

Thanks for your help. If I can't sort this out then I'll get a Sierra 2.0 TFI distributor shipped in from the UK and convert the car to EEC4 using a US spec LA3 ECU. Then I can fully control all maps, functions, scalers using the Quarterhorse and Binary Editor.

If you want to contact me directly my email is drhaulsee at citynet dot net.

Friday I'm leaving for our first SCCA roadrace event in Danville Virgina at VIR. We'll be racing the MK1 Capri.

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Live Mapping Cosworth ECUs - A How To

You simply unplug the EPROM and put the ostrich in its place you will require a flash and burn also to read and write the chip.

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Live Mapping Cosworth ECUs - A How To

My email is simply clint@turbosport.co.uk

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

old thread i know but anyone still into this ?

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

yes

Pit Crew Decade Plus User scrote's Avatar

Thanks

Cheers for this Clint.
    I have only found this thread half an hour ago.
    I used the first (L6) .xdf and had nothing on the axes.
    then I used the L6 xdf that Clint posted up and I now have some numbers on the axes... but they don't mean much to me.
    I don't know much about mapping, all I want to do is examine the .bins I have to see what the rough specs are i.e what the boost limit is to see if they are stage1 or standard etc...
    e.g I can see with this software I have a boost limit on my sapphire of '3.19' but I can't see how that relates to psi or bar...

Thanks

here's a pic of what I'm seeing, it seems to me from looking at the .xdf that the axes should come up labelled?

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrote View Post
    e.g I can see with this software I have a boost limit on my sapphire of '3.19' but I can't see how that relates to psi or bar...
    3.19 bar - BUT what spec chip are you examining as the xdf is for a 3 bar and your Fuel Table seems to only go to 2.2 Bar so I am guessing your Chip is for a 2 bar MAP (st1 chip)

Thanks

Ok so the .xdf needs to be matched to the spec of the chip.so I need a .xdf for 2 bar.
    ... the left column in the fuel table I posted a pic of seems self explanatory, absolute manifold pressure, but what about the top row?? it starts at 4652, drops to 600 then goes to 3498, would I expect to see rpm here?
    and since my fuel table goes up to 2.2 does it prove it's a stage 1 chip as I was led to believe it might be standard or do std chips contain fuelling values up to 1 bar pressure as well?

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

send me the bin and Ill create an xdf.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    send me the bin and Ill create an xdf.
    Thanks Clint!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Try this m8, I simply added a 2 bar definition.

L6FORDBASIC2B.xdf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Try this m8, I simply added a 2 bar definition.

Attachment 69768
    Thanks Clint it seems much better, one last question, sorry ask such basic questions, why does the rpm only go to 6.5k on ignition and 5.5k on fuel (pic below), does the ecu just extrapolate up from there?
    I wish I could find some beginner videos on the software , everything seems aimed at experienced users

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrote View Post
    why does the rpm only go to 6.5k on ignition and 5.5k on fuel (pic below), does the ecu just extrapolate up from there?
    Standard breakpoints more than probably - Stage 1 chips often only changed the Boost limits.

The ecu can not 'extrapolate' above the highest value.

You can change the RPM Breakpoints - 'Ignition RPM - BP' and 'FUEL RPM -BP'

Bodger

Thanks

Hello Everybody

My name is patrick am from Antwerp Belgium and drive an 3dr sierra cosworth. It' has all standard engine components but a L8 ecu , MSD L1 chip with lambda closed loop . It drives very wel but is consuming way to much fuel on very light use (19.5 mpg ).

I bougth a innovate WB afr kit and found out why. WOT is ok at 11-12 afr but cruise is at 13.5-13.8 , way to rich for light cruise. By using the programmable NB output from the innovate i forced the ecu to 15.5 afr but the regulation is fluctuating like mad. 14.2-16.1 while on cruise ! but fuel consumption is now at 25.6 mpg mixed use. So not bad.
    I think it's because i am forcing the ecu, by pin 2 lambda input, far out the fuel table values that it's going crazy.

Maybe somebody can confirm or denie this.

I think the fuel table from MSD is ok to start but i want to change the cruise fuelling values as on live mapping.
    Ignition will be ok i assume.

As i am an electronic engineer i have read this forum whit great interest.
    Could i do this with the tunerpro software and an eprom programmer (which i have somewere )

Grts
    Patrick

Bodger

Thanks

Click image for larger version Name:	20140530_172347b.jpg Views:	340 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	70230
    This is the ECU

Bodger

Thanks

Gradually finding my way in the L8 ECU bin file.
    Made a liitle excel table from the fuel table part.

Click image for larger version Name:	Knipsel441.JPG Views:	329 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	70428 .
    Last edited by cauf61; 24-06-2014 at 22:34.

Bodger

Thanks

And ignition.

Click image for larger version Name:	Knipsel442.JPG Views:	329 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	70430
    Last edited by cauf61; 24-06-2014 at 22:38.

Bodger

Thanks

Hello

Why are the four last MAP values on the fuel table the same ??
    The max setting in bar is (901 hex , 2305 dec) so 1.67 bar . So 0.67 Bar over-boost.
    This is a level 1 chip and in the car the boost go's up to 1 bar (1.1 peak )

Grts
    Patrick

Bodger

Thanks

Hi

I connected today for the first time tunerpro and Ostrich 2.0 to my weber marelli L8 ecu ( IAW 048/02 ).
    Connection went fine and is working but DA won't connect.
    Also uploading is not working.

I can't see date in real time.
    Maybe this is normal on such an old ECU or am i missing something here ?

Patrick

Click image for larger version Name:	20140628_150851.jpg Views:	319 Size:	26.0 KB ID:	70511
    Last edited by cauf61; 28-06-2014 at 15:37.

Bodger

Thanks

Just did some testing.
    I can change parameters.
    The engine is reacting to the changes (fuel) .
    But only wheni keeps it running.
    As soon as i stop and restart, the engine won't fire.
    Only whit the "virgin" bin file it starts again.
    I there some chesum on this bin file.
    I thought this was only on the P8 ecu ?

Grts
    Patrick

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

It´s only on P8 as standard. Probably RP-Lab (read MSD) has it in their bin-file, i`m looking in to it as we speak.
    I have live mapped both L8 and P8 cars (Ostrich 2.0) with major changes on the engine (and make my own XDF´s for tunerpro) ... so feel free to ask if there are any questions

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Cauf61: WOT @ 11-12 AFR is way to rich ... are you using the right MAP?

Bodger

Thanks

"Cauf61: WOT @ 11-12 AFR is way to rich ... are you using the right MAP? "
    Yes i am , and 11-11.5 at WOT and full boost is just fine. You can test with WOT at 12-13 AFR full boost for a while. Good luck and don't forget to order some new pistons.

+ Reply to Thread