User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Type-9 strip down help required please !

Pit Crew Decade Plus User onecamohv's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Type-9 strip down help required please !

Hi folks,
    I've done many boxes before but never a t9 and I've hit a snag ! Looking for some help please from the guys in the know.
    I'm trying to 'pry' the sandwich plate from the casing but it comes about half an inch as you can see in the photo and stops, I've had pullers, two pry bars trying to get the bastid off and I can't seem to get it any further - am I being a Wally and missing something? I don't believe I need to take the large roller bearing circlip off?
    Hope I've explained it well, any help please?
    Cheers !

My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Anyone any tips chaps? Bit stuck thanks!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Type-9 strip down help required please !

Can't really see from the pics, but the outer rear bearing case needs to be removed from the lay shaft. They are a bit fiddly to slide out but once you have done this it allows the lay shaft to drop and you can then remove the input shaft and intermediate case complete with main shaft. One removed, remove circlip on mainshaft and press the mainshaft through the bearing. Hope this helps.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colr6 View Post
    Can't really see from the pics, but the outer rear bearing case needs to be removed from the lay shaft. They are a bit fiddly to slide out but once you have done this it allows the lay shaft to drop and you can then remove the input shaft and intermediate case complete with main shaft. One removed, remove circlip on mainshaft and press the mainshaft through the bearing. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely doing something wrong so, I've broken a sychroniser ring trying to force it, does this bearing and the complete shaft stay in the intermediate case when removing it? Does this all come out with the intermediate case in one unit?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Yes the mainshaft comes out complete with case. If you look at the lay shaft bearing the outer case slides out the case backwards complete with needle rollers and leaves the inner track on lay shaft. Once this is removed it allows the lay shaft to drop. The reason the shafts cannot be pulled out is your trying to slide large gears on mainshaft over large gears on lay shaft so the lay shaft has to be dropped. Once this is done the mainshaft will split more than likely on the synchro ring you have broken. Don't worry about it their not expensive and would recommend changing them on a rebuild anyway.the rear bearing on the lay shaft is prob the only bearing you won't have to change as they don't suffer with failure but have a close inspection on track and rollers.Ive not changed one yet on normal rebuild unless the box has ran out of oil ! And if it's got to that stage more of the box is screwed it's not worth doing.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks mate, got it apart thanks a million for your help, so is this the right way to split the bearing? I've never split a bearing like this before,? Obviously means I've to replace it now?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

No if the inner track is ok and the outer rollers have no marks in them put back. If you buy a bearing overhaul kit you don't get this one as they cost about £80. As said before they don't usually give any trouble, about the only bearing that doesn't. When rebuilding drop the lay shaft in the bottom of box after fitting all the needle rollers to keep them in place use grease, insert mainshaft and input shaft including intermediate case then turn box upside down and lay shaft will drop into place to refit rear bearing and shaft.dont forget to measure the distance of speedo drive to rear bearing prior to removal as it needs to be in a specific place ! If you have already taken it off can get you a measurement. Hope this helps Col

My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanks a mill for all the help col really appreciate it I was very stuck never seen a bearing come apart like that before you saved the day, cheers!
    I haven't taken the speedo gear off yet but thanks for the tip! I can't actually see anything immediately wrong with it, looks fine. It was whining like mad in first and 5th mostly, even in neutral idling it was noisey. Can't see anything obvious wrong though.
    I got a new box anyway, 65k one owner Granada so what im doing is putting my 2.98 first gear into the new box.
    Any other tips I should look out for?'

Oh one more question, I got the longer uprated needles, so I'm removing 2 of the 3 spacers should I put the spacer that's left on the rear or the front of the needles?

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks a mill for all the help col really appreciate it I was very stuck never seen a bearing come apart like that before you saved the day, cheers!
    I haven't taken the speedo gear off yet but thanks for the tip! I can't actually see anything immediately wrong with it, looks fine. It was whining like mad in first and 5th mostly, even in neutral idling it was noisey. Can't see anything obvious wrong though.
    I got a new box anyway, 65k one owner Granada so what im doing is putting my 2.98 first gear into the new box.
    Any other tips I should look out for?'

Oh one more question, I got the longer uprated needles, so I'm removing 2 of the 3 spacers should I put the spacer that's left on the rear or the front of the needles?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

If it was noisy when in neutral would replace input shaft bearing and pay att to lay gear shaft where the rollers run as in neutral they are the only two parts that rotate. As for the longer lay shaft rollers from I take it a type e box, I was advised against using them. Even quaife advised against it in my straight cut box I have. If you do go for the longer ones then I would put the spacer at front of the rollers meaning to front of box. Change all sychro rings and the roll pins on selector shafts( I have known a few to drop out) somewhere on the net there is an artical on how to improve the oil feed to gears by elongating the oil holes in the spinning gears but can't remember where it was, makes good reading and worth while. I run run a 2.6 first in my BGH helical gearbox which is very good and a 2.03 in the quaife which if you don't like changing under 50-60mph is great but no good for any type of town use.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Weren't the long rollers also sourced from the V6 / long input shaft nose T9 boxes? I know jack about g/boxes so could be talking nonsense LOL!

+ Reply to Thread