User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: safe compression ratio for supercharged 2.8 cologne

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: safe compression ratio for supercharged 2.8 cologne

meassured and setted to 0.5inlet 0.3exhaust (H6cam). is this also the timing it needs to have? valves open at 10degrees before top dead centre seems a bit too retarded to the stock 23degrees. too bad the cam is useless as the cam is a bit worn.

i also have a cam that can do 0.3inlet and 0.2exhaust(H2cam). Don't know if that cam is usefull.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Please ignore the open en close numbers like 23°, the only number that count is lift at TDC. Please be sure your hydraulic follower is not pushing in before lifting the valve. I always measure without pushrods direct at the cam follower (without load). This way you don't take the risk of pushing in followers.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Only the 2.9 engines have hydraulic cam followers. I still don't know why lift at tdc is more important than the stock timing. 10 degrees seems like a lot! and all of these supercharger kits worked on stock spec engines.

If the lift is so important isn't that H2 camshaft better?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I think you are confusing several things. For timing a camshaft lift at TDC is more accurate than the open en closing numbers given in the manual. You read "more accurate" as "more important".

Lift at TDC is important for a blower engine but your H6 cam is just fine. As a matter of facts, it's very good because has little lift at TDC and still reasonable lift numbers. A perfect turbo cam. I'm into a turbo project myself for a friend and selected this cam as a good one. The blower kit is indeed build for stock engines but not one with cam timing out for let say 10°.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

found a brand new camshaft and fitted it. i can finally start building up the motor.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Got the engine running for a while now. It is till N/A. Los some serious power because of the decompression (9.4CR)and the stock camshaft. but it runs really nice. It's going to run on 102 octane.

Orderd a Vems ECU which is going to control the engine. Hope to get it soon. and make some progress on the engine..

+ Reply to Thread