User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi awsome collaboration of knowledge. Has this been covered the following

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi awsome collaboration of knowledge. Has this been covered the following

Sorry new to this but i'm doing a bit of improvments on my Mk1 st170 focus and i would love to put the focus RS engine into her after thinking that going down the M400 Noble engine route would an interesting but an over kill in a FWD vehicle even with a ATB, i hoped a smaller turbo engine (focus rs) slightly breathed upon with around 250 lbs/t would quash my cravings for the bring back my old fezzy2l16vt bug i once endured.
    Please help if anyone has any idea of issues i'm about to endure.
    Fuel return pipes
    After market management
    Fly wheel /clutch assmblies/ with a focus rs having 23 splines and haven't a clue what a st has.(same crank i think though)
    Regards Jon

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Hi awsome collaboration of knowledge. Has this been covered the following

this forum is for zetec into old school cars, try posting in the new school section.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Judging by the title of this forum I was hoping that someone on here would know of this type of technical question.

World Champion Decade Plus User RChambers's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Your best bet is to get the engine and box with the wiring loom and ecu. The 6 speed on an ST170 probably won't be strong enough. I don't know if the ST170 driveshafts will fit with the RS gearbox either so thats another complication that needs sorting. Either custom driveshafts or fit the RS front struts and driveshafts. Probably better off buying an RS for the effort but if you want the conversion then sell the ST170 and buy a normal Focus to release a bit of cash

She's built like a Steakhouse, but handles like a Bistro

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks for the rply only thing is i've got ploy bushes all round appart from engine gearbox mounts. i have bilstine b12 shocks and H&R springs on all round and white line swaybars and a lovly full set of bridgestone 215 40 17 Potenza RE050A. and a quaife atb going in soon dont want a rs because our ST looks st ish standard.
    I have my old silva top 2l and t28 turbo but i'm thinking (KNOWING) thats going to be expensive to do that properly, rods,pistons, mngmt ect. 'worth a thought though' it threw 3 rings years ago and got boared out by .5, could go the st head route and omex. use same flywheel off the st. still 3.8k either way you look at it.
    If everyones saying the st'duratec' engine's a zetec. same mounts ect. parts will be cheeper and better gains than the rs engine.

World Champion Decade Plus User RChambers's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Both the ST170 engine and the RS engine are zetecs. In fact the ST170 head is better than the RS one so if you can turbo the ST you should easily see more power than the RS

She's built like a Steakhouse, but handles like a Bistro

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

alot of rs's are using the st head for the high lift cams and bigger ports. in three minds now dude thanks.
    AHHHHH.
    knowing the number of splines on the gatrag 6 speed box will help as got a techniclutch paddle sat in it's box under my setteefailing that sell it but got the mondeo M reg silva top sat at my mates garage that was in the fezzy just the pistons need buying and rods and a decent ex manifold this could go on forever dude need the prices infront of me to consider the equipose of my ideas positive / negative out come.
    Spent 18 months in 2002/2003 learning, phoning , and getting ill trying to get old fezzy back on the road but sacked it but really like the st now as she acctually goes round corners like intended. this expression is getting close to how i feel
    But you sound the guy i need to talk to.

I love to crap Decade Plus User PercyBigun's Avatar

Thanks

why not powerworks supercharge the ST170? should be good for 300bhp.

regarding the techniclutch, i have heard very bad stuff about them, they slip when any boost is applied etc and they arent capable of the bhp/torque figures claimed by the sellers.

My Sites www.MondeoSTTDCi.co.uk

and www.mondeost.co.uk

my babies got a bottle, but it whines all the time!

+ Reply to Thread