User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000e Gearbox Disassembly Question?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Question 2000e Gearbox Disassembly Question?

Hi, I'm rebuilding my 2000e gearbox (semi-close) and I'm finding manuals and how-to's a little hard to come by. There's a series of youtube videos of a guy rebuilding a 2000e gearbox for a Lotus Elan, but he jumps in after it's disassembled.

I'm wondering if someone can point me to a good reference or manual showing specific disassembly / assembly issues? In lieu of that, if someone is willing to help with some random questions from time to time, I imagine I can figure it out the rest of the way.

Specifically, I've disassembled it down to the main case with the mainshaft and laygear / layshaft and reverse idler still in the case. I am unable to remove the mainshaft and I don't want to force it.

Does the main shaft split in half and the first motion shaft pulls out the front and the rest of the mainshaft pulls out the back of the case? Or, if I remove the circlip from the first motion shaft, does the entire thing pull out of the back of the case? I'm asking because I can't seem to get it to come out either way. Is there an interior clip I'm missing? Do I need to drop out the layshaft or reverse idler first? Should I just tap it from the front, or pry the rear carrier out using the lip of the carrier?

Thanks for any help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    Last edited by jrsnell; 14-02-2017 at 02:56. Reason: changed prefix per best practices

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: 2000e Gearbox Disassembly Question?

If it's the same as five speeds then you will need to drop the lay gear first to allow the input shaft to be removed.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks Colr6... I'll give that a try tonight and let you know the results. Does anyone know if the AutoPress MK1 Cortina 67-69 Manual has a thorough gearbox section?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Worked. Thank you. I'm replacing the layshaft, so I think I'll cut down the old layshaft to use as a dummy to keep the needles aligned upon insertion. Thanks again.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Insert the rollers in the lay gear using grease, you shouldn't have any issues. I've not had one drop yet

+ Reply to Thread