User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help with heavy transport

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

need help with heavy transport

can anyone on here help me out with getting a lathe transported from leeds to ireland its a heavy lathe weighing about 3500kg.any help or leads are welcome more than willing to pay a fair price.

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: need help with heavy transport

Well I can tell you you'll need an 18tonner for it. Unless you can find someone with a 10-12tonner. A 7.5t wont be big enough.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

ya at least a 12 tonner its a big lathe approx 4ft wide 12ft long and 4.5isf tall

Thanks

Ok... Its not necessarilly about the dimensions of it, more so the weight of it. Dimension wise it would fit on the back of a flatbed transit but it would be massively overweight. A 7.5t will only take an approximate payload of about 2.5t... Thats why you'd need something bigger...

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

if anyone could even recommend a company. i have resigned myself to the fact that transport will cost me as much or more than the lathe itself.

Thanks

Well I work for a transport company, I drive an artic. But we're based at Heathrow, you'd be far better off getting a company local to leeds. Not sure how you load it either. I think you'd need a big hiab to lift 3.5t... Or a 5t forklift, but it would probably need to be built onto some sort of wooden base to lift it... 12's quite long, not massive but quite long...
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-03-2017 at 00:44.

Thanks

Was just thinking, maybe even a fullsize packing case/crate... We do mainly airfreight so if it was going by air it would be built into a packing case/crate.
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-03-2017 at 00:55.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

I am in Transport but not the type of heavy machinery. I know plenty of people with crane off load vehicles but they are used for delivering building products and don't have the lifting capacity that you require. Have you tried any local machinery or plant moving companies near to you that could collect the lathe as a return load back to Ireland?. You could also try some of the Irish Plant and Commercial vehicle exporters to see if they could bring it back with a load of other equipment.I fear it could be quite an expensive journey to do on it's own.
    Last year at our industrial unit my next door neighbour had a lathe to the very size and dimensions of yours removed from the building. They used a skip lorry with the 4 chains and swinging frame to lift it on the back.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Really? a Hilux tows 3.5T

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

A decent Ifor Williams plant trailer and a Hilux would transport that, i think your biggest issue willbe moving it, something with a hiab or a small crane hire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erikmex View Post
    Really? a Hilux tows 3.5T
    A decent Ifor Williams plant trailer and a Hilux would transport that, i think your biggest issue willbe moving it, something with a hiab or a small crane hire.
    Really... Fuck that for a game of soldiers... Add to that the weight of the trailer to carry that 3.5t lathe and before you know it the whole thing will probably weigh best part of 6tonne or more. So I think your hilux will then be towing more than twice its own weight... I bet it doesnt have a manufacturers train weight of 6t gross... You will then also come into the relms of needing a tachograph anyway, because it will be used for hire or reward.... I wouldn't want to drive the bloody thing...

And Ive just found this on a quick google search on the subject...
    I rest my case...
    But none can come close to a Land Rover Defender's 3,500kg capability when it comes to towing capacity. Nissan's popular Navara is capable of towing a trailer with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) of 2,600kg. Mitsubishi's L200 can handle 2,700kg, while those with a Toyota Hilux will probably be limited to just 2,250kg.
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-03-2017 at 14:15.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    Really... Fuck that for a game of soldiers... Add to that the weight of the trailer to carry that 3.5t lathe and before you know it the whole thing will probably weigh best part of 6tonne or more. So I think your hilux will then be towing more than twice its own weight... I bet it doesnt have a manufacturers train weight of 6t gross... You will then also come into the relms of needing a tachograph anyway, because it will be used for hire or reward.... I wouldn't want to drive the bloody thing...

And Ive just found this on a quick google search on the subject...
    I rest my case...
    But none can come close to a Land Rover Defender's 3,500kg capability when it comes to towing capacity. Nissan's popular Navara is capable of towing a trailer with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) of 2,600kg. Mitsubishi's L200 can handle 2,700kg, while those with a Toyota Hilux will probably be limited to just 2,250kg.
    Toyota Hilux max braked towing capacity is 3500kg, i regularly tow around 3T of stone in a brake Ifor Williams plant trailer weighing around 400kg. Tows great. A Hilux weighs 2000kg so nearly double the weight actually.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/2016-toyota...comment-page-1

I also towed a 2.7T boat on a 600kg roller trailer from Wales to Mallorca, no probs at all.
    Last edited by Erikmex; 11-03-2017 at 14:36.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Thanks

Toyota Hilux max braked towing capacity is 3500kg,
    Ok... So look at it this way... You are already on its maximum towing capacity with the weight of the lathe as that is 3.5t, then add what, say another 600 maybe 800 kg for the trailer... So you are now exceeding its maximum towing capacity by 600 maybe 800 kilo's...
    The fine for being overweight currently runs at £1000 a tonne over... That I know of...
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-03-2017 at 15:10.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    Ok... So look at it this way... You are already on its maximum towing capacity with the weight of the lathe as that is 3.5t, then add what, say another 600 maybe 800 kg for the trailer... So you are now exceeding its maximum towing capacity by 600 maybe 800 kilo's...
    The fine for being overweight currently runs at £1000 a tonne over... That I know of...
    Sure but strip the lathe down to acceptable weight, put the bits in the back of the pickup and tow up to the max of 3.5T and youve got a much more cost effective solution to using a 10 - 12 toner. They are only limited to 3.5T towing, you can put up to 1T in the bed. On another note, Navaras are well known the be the worst and lowest tow rated pickups around, they have very weak chassis, common for them to crack just behind the cab, 4T isnt a huge weight really, you can easily lift that on a 5T chain block and cross rig into a trailer if there are sufficient lifting beams close to the lathe.......if its from an industrial unit, most have overhead cranes or beam with runway blocks. Over the kind of distance he's talking i think id be inclined to strip it down, not exactly difficult things to take to bits.
    Last edited by Erikmex; 11-03-2017 at 15:25.

Thanks

Sure but strip the lathe down to acceptable weight, put the bits in the back of the pickup and tow up to the max of 3.5T and youve got a much more cost effective solution to using a 10 - 12 toner. They are only limited to 3.5T towing, you can put up to 1T in the bed. On another note, Navaras are well known the be the worst and lowest tow rated pickups around, they have very weak chassis, common for them to crack just behind the cab, 4T isnt a huge weight really, you can easily lift that on a 5T chain block and cross rig into a trailer if there are sufficient lifting beams close to the lathe.......if its from an industrial unit, most have overhead cranes or beam with runway blocks.
    So by the time you add the man hours to stripping it down to put in the back of the hilux you just aswell have paid for the truck to do the job in one go in the first place.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Just a suggestion, its how i would do it to save some cash.

Thanks

Just a suggestion, its how i would do it to save some cash.
    Im not having a go Erik, its clear to me that we both like to make our point. And I take your point too...

I never really have to worry about weights with our artics. Cos we never run them anywhere near their maximums weights....
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-03-2017 at 15:38.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I know mate, Just for my info, how much is it roughly to hire a 12tonner for a day with driver???

Thanks

I know mate, Just for my info, how much is it roughly to hire a 12tonner for a day with driver???
    Roughly£300 maybe £350. But you might add a few % fuel surcharge to that too.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Thats not too expensive i suppose.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

It's one thing getting a truck....how are you getting it off and onto the truck or whatever vehicle is being used ?

Have you contacted any big hauliers ? Woodsides, Allen logistics, Countrywide Freight, Fegans etc ? ( NI based ). I'm sure there are loads in Ireland too.

But it'd take some lifting to get it loaded and offloaded.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

there are companies that specialize in machinery moving. There is a company i see round our area "phil swire" i think and they have trucks with hiab on etc. Just need to locate one and hire them.

We once moved a safe and a 500kg cube is dam awkard to lift on an engine hoist.

There is a reason lathes and mills are always local collection on ebay
    Last edited by wildo105e; 12-03-2017 at 16:38.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

thanks for the imput guys i really cant let this lathe go its a dean smith and grace lathe been looking for one for years at the right price,the only prob is this guy does not know what he has and if someone fills him in he might pull out of the deal,so i reckon i,l try to go over this week myself with a friend and his recovery truck to pick it up.

Thanks

How big is his recovery truck mick..?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

very big it can take a lwb merc sprinter no prob and the bed slides out fairly flat and has a winch so at this point the plan for me is to make a toe jack and jerry rig a h/d dolly so it can be pulled on to the bed.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Ooooh - i'd be wary about trying to slide / skid / pull a lathe that big. They are horribly top heavy and un-balanced and loading them incorrectly could crack the frame / twist the bed. Not trying to teach egg sucking but its a big chunk of iron to turn into scrap metal if you drop or twist it! A big wheel H/duty forklift might be a safer option for loading / unloading at either end - then you've got to negotiate final positioning......... 25mm dia steel bars as rollers and big pry bars come to mind?

Thanks

Different people have different ideas about what is very big...
    Choice is yours mick but I hope its bigger than a 7.5T...

Good luck with it anyway... Hope it all goes well...

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mick32 View Post
    the only prob is this guy does not know what he has and if someone fills him in he might pull out of the deal,so i reckon i,l try to go over this week myself with a friend and his recovery truck to pick it up.
    He probably does know what it is and realized that the only way to get rid of it is to sell it cheap otherwise it will be with him forever

as katana says 25mm bars. we used scaffold offcuts on the safe for moving it once on the ground.

good luck

Mechanic

Thanks

There is a heavy load group on Facebook for people to bid on jobs might be worth a look
    Keep her lit

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

just back home after an epic road trip,left cork in ireland thur afternoon drove to dublin got a ferry to liverpool and landed at 5.30am fri morning,drove to leeds and met the guy who was selling the lathe at 8am and myself and a really good friend spent the next 4hrs loading the machine while the guy who was selling it stood in a corner flicking thru his phone and complaining about how cold it was while me and my mate were sweating buckets never met a more lazy dickhead in my life.when we finished loading we got some food and drove back to liverpool for about 4pm fri afternoon only to be told their was no room for us on the ferry so we had to leave liverpool to try to catch an 8.30 sailing out of holyhead,the weather turned very nasty but made the ferry with 10min to spare.landed back in dublin at 12.45am then drove back to cork for 5am i have the truck no parked up waiting to be unloaded got a few hours sleep but still feel like a zombie.just before i started typing this up i had a quiet moment looked out my window at the machine on the truck asked myself was it worth the hassle smiled to myself and said hell ya.

Pit Crew

Thanks

good job...how did you move it in the end...cheers mark

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

my mates truck is a 7,5ton recovery with a serious winch so i made up 2 dollys with casters and trolley jacks and a 20ton bottle jack and lots of sweat we got it on there.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Well done Mick for getting the lathe Home. You can have the last laugh as you have got the Machine at a good price. You could also let him know that by text and Piss on his chips and his precious Phone. When you get the lathe up and running you'll realise all the Blood, sweat and tears was all worth it. Well done and I'll look forward to you posting more of your work.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest_rallying For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

nice comment thanks very much i.l post up pics of the new to me machine hopefully tomorrow.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Good to hear you got it home... Just what you need a very unhelpful seller when you up against a challenge, dont understand some people when they sell stuff

+ Reply to Thread