+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Turbosport, does it need a shake up? have your say here

Way too much free time Decade Plus User PIG's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Turbosport, does it need a shake up? have your say here

well this place seems to be dying a slow death,what do you lot think could be done on this site to get people joining and posting more often?the show sceen this year has also had poor interest imo apart from the classic ford show and camping(which i myself really enjoyed)are there other shows that interest people but where not in the events section?imo we need to do something about t/s as its been getting worse for the last year again imo.your thoughts please ALL of you in what you think can or should be done to make this a very good site again.sorry for droaning on but the site has been important to me during my build of my car and i have made some very good friends from here.
    fire away people
    Last edited by 2quick4u; 23-08-2007 at 11:01.

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: turbosport

Good thread!

The mods and admin have been discussing this same thing in the staff room and TBH we cannot between us pinpoint a reason why. Its a conbination of various things but we would love to hear your comments on the matter.

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

I agree mate, not a lot goes on really the site just ticks by, occasionally theres a few interesting posts from newbies (car wise) but i guess we are just used to eachothers projects and eachothers random postings in the message centre

I think we lose out to the more dedicated sites (passionfight, osf, retro rides, etc) as ts is aimed at catering for anything and everything despite being mainly ford owning members, plus i think we have a whole lot of lurkers out there that pop up now and again!! To be honest though when you read other sites that are popular someone can for example put up a post showing their new wheels (which are the same wheels that the majority of people on the site have on their same cars!) and it will get lots of replies, but they are mainly just short replies like yea, nice, look good, etc and some people saying they look shite. To be honest im glad its not like it here, but it does make for a dry site as everyone who would be saying little things like that lurks in the background and extends their keyboards life and so you just get longer posts from the more regular people on here.

Also show wise, a lot of our cars on here are in bits, just look in the resto section....its probably the most popular part of the site also the shite weather keeps the shiny cars in their garages. This has gone against us this year as last year we had a pretty impressive turnout at all the shows, remember cf, retro cars & ford fair anyone?? the stands had a good 20-40 cars on at each

Thats my take on it i may be wrong but its IMO

Pit Crew Turbosport Subscriber Stu.C's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Some other sites, taking OSF as an example, have excellent brand identity that works in their favour - think how many times you've seen a car at a show or in a mag with an OSF windscreen sticker versus a TS one. They've got their badges, jackets and what-not too, which just helps build up their presence in people's eye. The repeated failings of TS to get this side of the house in order looks shambolic and uninterested - from the outside ... there may be "issues", but it just looks like nothing gets done. If there was a Turbosport t-shirt readily available, I'm sure more would want one.

Also, I only just realised recently that the Restoration/Projects forum was off-limits until you'd signed up. I've been merrily sending the URL to my thread to folks to look at, but the other day someone pointed out they couldn't browse it without signing up - and they didn't want to sign up to a "car" site, no matter how interested they were in what I was doing Likewise, this issue affects members getting a magazine feature; the mag might mention the site, even the thread, but the casual observer still has to sign up - we need to lure them in and make them want to sign up to join in. I appreciate that the other "technical" forums are the meat or value-added feature of the site, but a visibly active number of projects is what attracts people's attention.

More when I've had a think...

Out for a drive on a sunny spring day reminds me why I got this car

************** Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Some excellent views and ideas so far. Thankyou guys, and please keep 'em coming.

Last edited by Gmac; 22-08-2007 at 12:53.

Tyre Wall Terry Decade Plus User 4parajon's Avatar

Thanks

Ive not been on here long really but I consider it one of my second homes (OSF being the other) but I do enjoy seeing other cars that are not necessarily OSF or even Ford come to that, thats why I come on here and Ive met some great people along the way and no, I dont include you Pig.

This is'n a dig at CF but the proposed track day that was originally for earlier this year never got sorted, and were still waiting, whats to stop us taking the bull by the horns and organising our own, once weve got a date sorted we can invite CF and if they come they come.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

This is'n a dig at CF but the proposed track day that was originally for earlier this year never got sorted, and were still waiting, whats to stop us taking the bull by the horns and organising our own, once weve got a date sorted we
    can invite c/f if they come they come.

that post has been dragging on and on.but if it does happen that in it self could bring in more members again imo.good coment jon

Thanks

From a personal note I have recently found the number of sections and subsections the site is divided into is too large, it kind of segreates people as other topics they might find intresting wont catch their eye if they are in one of the obscure technical subsections.

All the different sections also makes the site look less busy... maybe making the sections more general will encourage more people to join in....? just my two cent!
    Last edited by Lee S; 22-08-2007 at 13:11.
    - Lee

Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    Thanks

That's something we are actively looking at Lee. Expect to see some sections merging soon.

Anything in particular you could suggest will be taken on board

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Make the "New Posts" link into a damn big button at the top of the page, then maybe more people will use it and discover stuff in forums they wouldn't normally visit

Thanks

i think its all the sexist comment made by PIG that are driving people away - maybe he should be censored

Racer Decade Plus User Si_Steve's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Im trying to get more people from up here involved, unfortunatly theyre all either complete chav racers or arent intrested in cars

Maybe get someone to make up some flyers so if you see an old school ford or whatever they can be put under the wiper, dunno jus an idea worked on fiesta-si.com
    Last edited by Si_Steve; 22-08-2007 at 14:13.

World Champion Decade Plus User markb's Avatar

Thanks

pig should definitely be censored

i think part of the problem is also part fo the success... the fact that most people on here are more like friends.. leads to less bitching and general friction, but also, despite being more open than any other forum i know, makes it a bit more cliquey... i certainly feel there's a great deal of technical knowledge available on here, and you're more likely to get a sensible answer here than anywhere else.

I still check turbosport more than anywhere else, and my car will not be appearing on any stand at a show other than this one (assuming it ever gets done! :oops: )

I used to be: steely dan Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

i think it is quiet at the moment, just in general. retro rides dosnt seem to be moving at the pace it usually does, i think everyone is on holiday, especially seems that way the roads are noticably quieter and show wise i guess the weather is putting alot of people off.

design wise TS is great, ive never posted on OSF because the main page is all over the place and finding topics/threads is confussing to the point i cant really make sense of it. RR is ok, but has far too few topics, so threads get lost easily.

i dont know the traffic figures on here but it does seem fairly active and busy, you only have to wait a week in the resto thread before the 1st page is all new/updated. its difficult to keep up. and there are plenty of people coming and introducing themselves... as a newbie its was quite difficult to know where you fit in to it, there are some people with vast knowledge etc its a bit intimidating. but this is one of the most open fourms ive been on. i think what puts people off is the 'turbo' part of the name, nearly everyone ive mentioned the fourm to has asked 'but isnt that only for cars with turbos in' which of course is isnt, but that has to be an issue... obviously once you come here you soon realise its not just about turbos. but i think the site could come accross as being a bit more other manufacture friendly, especially in retro terms there dosnt even appear to be a section for them.

i think merch and the branding side of things is very important, as already said, you go to any car meet and if there are some fords there thei'll pretty much always have an OSF window sticker... the key to a strong brand identity is consistency and adaptability, the turbosport name is a good one, but it appears in different fonts (website, window sticker, proposed t-shirt/mugs) it also dosnt appear that big on the top banner... the window sticker font is by far the best, since its the most recognisable and people associate it with some awesome cars due to magazine features and the like. but somone with a standard car might be put off as its so big and bold, this is where the OSF sticker wins, it dosnt look out of place on any car.

would it be possible to have the artwork files for these posted up so members could produce their own, or run small batches when enough people can pool together... also maybe do two different sizes; full size and also a smaller one which is more subtle or could even be put on a back or side window... id be happy to produce the artwork if there is a font and size i can use so it all looks the same and if i can help any other way in terms of design let me know.

World Champion Decade Plus User RETRO_AL's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

my personal view is

there is to many rooms trying to cator for all cars,this does not realy work as most people prefer to go to a dedicated site for there choosen car weather it be a mini or a skyline ect ect

i think turbosport could have been realy massive if it had stuck to the pre 80 rule that was inplace before the bust up with some members before osf was born(and no lets not get into that again)
    maybe even change the name (imo) if people dont know turbosport they will think its a chavy site,main reason i dont have a window sticker(sorry)

to make it better if it was my site i would get rid of all the rooms apart from the old and new ford rooms, maybe have one room for all other marques
    get some new mods in who will have new ideas ect ect
    and i would change the name (sorry clint hope you dont take offence) and get more stickers sold to promote the site more

anyway that my view, it means nothing as this is clints site and he chooses hows its done

Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    Thanks

We have thought about changing the name too. Maybe that's something we could put to a vote, or throw it open to some ideas, of what to use.

Keep it coming

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

there are some good points and opinons coming out in this thread imo,please all post on it as its for ALL of us to benefit

I used to be: steely dan Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

i just checked and there are now over 11500 registered users, i joined just about a year ago and my number is 8564, so about 3000 people have joined up in a year! thats a fair amount. obviously they cant all be contributing but its traffic and members none the less.

also it seems no one is really that sure what turbosport is supposed to be about, ie it has no clear objective/mission statement type thing... for me its people who are passionate about cars sharing info on cars, be that techincal or just banter and its not manufacturer or age specific... its a big plus that its open to all cars as im just as interested in old fords as i am any other marque

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

I think its a good site but it has gone down hill, somewhat

I dont go on OSF as I don`t have one

I still hang out here or on Retro-rides, both for different reasons. Chevettes.com for Marque specific stuff

The things I like about TS

Its a site made up predominatly of "Do ers" rather than Talkers which is rare in online communities

Technical knowledge on here is very good also and the meets and general community are excellent, I have met a lot of good friends through TS.

Not so good stuff:

The general Dilution with lots of different sections I dont think has helped the feel of it, Far too much going on

I understand that it was done to address other issues but i feel its only partly successful.

The general feeling from people I have spoken to outside of TS, is that its seen as a Ford Turbo site, which I have not found to be the case but it does appear that way the first few times you visit.

Registration does put some people off as well

The Sponsers/shoutbox area I think has taken a lot of the Chat away from the main board as well

Suggestions.....

Its down to us as a collective forum to promote this site, that means getting along to the meets and shows as Turbosport, Last year the Essex meets were Rammed every month and the site was buzzing, this year its been a lot quieter I know a lot of cars are off the road this year, mine included but I still try and get along to as many meets as possible, because its not all about the cars

Maybe invite some other Magazines - Non FORD magazines if you want to appear more inclusive like PPC or similar

Maybe reduce the number of sections and condense them, if you make the search function more prominent then you could perhaps put all the technical sections together or at least combine some of the less busy sections ??

I`ll have another think about it, but thats my first thoughts.
    Please dont take the wrong way as I like TS and its only meant constructively, I do the same "Collective responsibility" Threads on Retro rides when people forget over there that it is ALL about the cars and the content over there

We are all responsible for the content and success or otherwise of the site, maybe we all need reminding of that every so often

Cheers
    Dom
    Last edited by cr500dom; 22-08-2007 at 15:49.

Spanner Monkey

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Have got to agree with Al on the name front, Turbosport does sound a bit chavtastic and I wouldn't put a sticker saying Turbosport on my car, especially as its N/A. No offense to whoever came up with the name, but maybe its time for a change.
    Just my opinion though, feel free to ignore it if you like.

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Definatly no to a name change.. its turbosport .. full stop..change the name and you still have the same people here.. so the smae thing new name and what has been built on the TS name is lost ..

Branded shirts and stuff ..thats a must and has been discussed in length, we need a regular supply ...

Mission statement ... front page has one .. i even included tractors in it for Matt and Dave .

Turbosport is an online community for people who are interested in all makes and types of petrol and diesel engined cars, bikes, tractors and scale models.

But it is more than just an internet forum, we also have lots of regular events like rolling road shootouts and regional meets and we attend most of the major shows for cars.

We visit these shows as a club, which means if you are a member then you and your vehicle, (whatever it is) are welcome to join in on the stand. It's a chance to show off your car, show how much work you have done, (or even how much you need to do). It doesn't matter if it is mint, or battered, modified or standard, pampered or abused it will still be welcome.

So please look in the Events section to see whats on and please put your names down for some of the shows.

Heres some direct links for upcoming events ...

Turbosport at Ford Fair
    Turbosport at Battlesbridge 2

Keep your posts coming as this is for the good of the community .. and dont worry what you say.. the mods and admins all have thick skins..but remember they do it for nothing.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User mista weava's Avatar

Thanks

i think this site more than makes up in quality, what it may lose in quanitity. although my nperception has never been that the site is "going downhill" although i admit i tend to lurk in the Old skool projects/banter forums.

i think canning alot of the sub forums is a definite plus.

GENERAL DISCUSSION
    keep MESSAGE CENTRE, INRODUCTIONS, EVENTS AND WAS IT YOU - bin the rest into a new forum called ANYTHING ELSE.

MEDIA
    have GALLERY AND MOVIES - bvin the rest into ANYTHING ELSE

Get rid of all the segregation in the MOTORSPORT sub forum - let it all intermingle and then people will give thread titles that are more specific.
    so just have the 1 forum called "motorsport".

in the OLD SKOOL section there is a ridiculous amout of sub forum and sub-sub forums going on. same with the NEW SKOOL

FORD FREE SECTION - just get rid of all the extra forums and have a forum entitled "OTHER MARQUES".

Same with BIKES - just have 1 forum for all things bike.

BUY SELL SWAP
    have 3 forums:
    CAR AND CAR PARTS FOR SALE
    NON-CAR RELATED ITEMS FOR SALE
    WANTED

MEMBERS ONLY
    condense the members only stuff into one members only forum and throw all the rest into an ANYTHING ELSE forum

COMPUTING
    get rid of it all and let them post in ANYTHING ELSE.

POINTLESS SECTION - just nuke it.

FORUM STUFF
    just have 1 section for site problems and suggestions.

you wont regret it.
    Last edited by mista weava; 22-08-2007 at 16:05.
    www.rallycarsforhire.net

Thanks

Maybe there needs to be appointed events organisers? The Rallye Sports Escorts site seems to be very popular at the moment, based in no little way I would imagine to the very successful events they've run this year.

Thanks

I have to say this site is abit clicky..I been on here and posted up my restoration projects and the only people who reply are the one's I know (outside of this site),so just give up and don't post things anymore....Where as if some people on here post up that they've had a dump today they get 50 replys...I'am not the only one to notice this as I've said I know other people on here and they,ve said the same to me........I don't thing people mean to be like this BUT you are close group (which is good) and it's hard to get into that group..............

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluers2000mk1 View Post
    I have to say this site is abit clicky..I been on here and posted up my restoration projects and the only people who reply are the one's I know (outside of this site),so just give up and don't post things anymore....Where as if some people on here post up that they've had a dump today they get 50 replys...I'am not the only one to notice this as I've said I know other people on here and they,ve said the same to me........I don't thing people mean to be like this BUT you are close group (which is good) and it's hard to get into that group..............
    With that, your looking at someone saying " well done" .. and theres lots of resto threads to say that too. And people being people write it 2 or 3 times then just read your thread without posting " again"

If you go back to one of my first project threads on here.. you'll see 20 posts a day to 2 pictures.. now .. no posts as its not new.. but, the views are the same ..

World Champion Decade Plus User BigDave's Avatar

Thanks

Branding? I paid for my tshirt about a year ago and not only has it never arrived but no explanation as to why did not go down to well. I am still waiting for either by the way?

Being honest, if I did not have so many mates on this site I reckon I would also go elsewhere. The Tshirt thing is a bit of a slap in the face and would have put many people off the place. But I have been here since the beginning and so intend to stick it out.

There is lots of knowledge in here but I do see familiar faces on other boards that I use due to having a wider variety of cars. So it shows that everyone is drifting away, and some dont come back?

Agree with keeping Turbosport as a name by the way. It would take even longer for my shirt if it changed again!!

CheeRS
    If you cant fix it with a hammer, use a bigger one!!

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluers2000mk1 View Post
    I have to say this site is abit clicky..I been on here and posted up my restoration projects and the only people who reply are the one's I know (outside of this site),so just give up and don't post things anymore....
    I know what you mean, but don't worry about that - I was posting away for days before anyone else seemed to notice - so I just carried on in blissful ignorance

A little trick I noticed is to generally end a resto post with a question of some form ... it seems to help giving people something to respond to, rather than them just say "well done" again

Thanks

I see what people are saying about being clicky but tbh unless you get amongst then you will never be part of the crowd on any site. I have been here since the begining and the "in crowd" has changed from year to year. Get involved and make yourself part of the next in crowd

Thanks

Oh and Keep the comments coming.

BD's comment about changing the name is funny as hell but tbh embarassing for me as a mod at the same time!

Pole Position Decade Plus User POO SLINGER's Avatar

Thanks

mayb you should sell turbosport n/a crew windscreen stickers

i think this site is awesome and takes care of all my needs.
    i don't ever have to use other forums. i'm registered on osf and have done 2 posts and 2 be honest i don't like the site.

once a turbosporter always a turbosporter
    ROSS KENDALL
    CHECK OUT MY VIDEO'S http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRossKendall

World Champion Decade Plus User Scouse's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

I can't believe that some of you are seriously thinking about a "name change" I joined this forum from the beginning and came from RSOC, which I still visit (occasionally), and find this site to be far far better than them all. And it's all down to the "backroom staff".

The name TURBOSPORT is good for this site and I WANT IT TO STAY!!

I've got loads of friends on here, some I've met and some I haven't, YET!

It may be in need of a re-vamp, but definately NOT a rename!

Oh, I just remembered, I did mention about making them rubber wrist bands (the ones with names on like LFC, and in different colours) and having Turbosport.co.uk put on them and the money raised given to a charity...........maybe summit to do with cars, accidents etc............just an idea as it will get the name TS out there!

Scouse.
    P.S. where's my 2 mugs? (bought and paid for!)
    Last edited by Scouse; 22-08-2007 at 17:09.

Turbosport Administrator
    Turbosport Moderator

Thanks

My opinions are:

1 - The name should STAY, seriously...dont even think about changing it there isn't 1 valid reason I can think of for it to be called something else.

2 - Dave made a valid point, he has been here 6 years +, paid for a Tshirt over a year ago never received it no one ever replies to the thread about whats happening etc and is annoying

3 - Someone should take the role of TS supplier, in charge of collecting money and sending cups, tshirts etc etc

4 - Some forums should be merged without doubt, a couple for example are: VW Group and BMW's, merge them and call it the German centre. Also merge Vauhxall, opel and GM with Jap machines or with The big Mini section. That makes 5 sub forums into 2/3. There are lots of options

5 - More TS stands at shows, get the name out and advertise more. Offer free stickers with yearly subscription...

Ts is my favourite site out of all if I'm being honest, lets make it work and if everyone chips in it will.

Yodi
    Last edited by RS Yod; 22-08-2007 at 17:05.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Yodi.. theres been a stand at every show.. just no one wants to go ..

Turbosport Administrator
    Turbosport Moderator

Thanks

Well lets make the stands happen then, I think (assume) a lot of the things dpnt happen as TS doesn't have the structure it needs.

EG - someone in charge of all branding, someone else in charge of making the stand happen and getting people involved which is just as important as booking the stand, someone organising Track days.

TS could be a team aswell as a site, I consider myself as part of the TS Crew so to speak as I've been here for so long and its my home page too.

I'd happily volunteer to help the site, eg with trackdays or branding, show stands etc....

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I personaly really like it on this site, the only other site i use is a local one and thats just full of bitchyness and whining, as for the cluiqey comments it is slightly true but as i found keep at it and appear at a few events(ok one so far for me but can you blame me)but i have found ive made a few friends on here some ive still to meet

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

was good to meet you as well steve,shame none of us could understand you m8 lol

World Champion Decade Plus User Scouse's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Retro,

I would defo go on the TS stand................just need my engine back and put into my car. The season has almost finished (which is a shame) and I am sooo disappointed that I couldn't take it to any. She isn't outstanding by any means, but she's mine!!

Can't wait for the TS BBQ.............should be good fun and maybe a few ideas will crop up!!

Scouse.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Yodi.. the link for tickets was on my sig for one show.. i was posting regular threads linking to the events thread for shows.. the xmas do .. what else can we do..? and why do we do it..? Matt, Nic and I have all lost money on the shows/events. I'll continue to promote the shows, the meets, because i belive in the community spirit of the site.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

och aye pig

Pit Crew Decade Plus User mista weava's Avatar

Thanks

so does anyone agree with my views on cutting down on the insane amount of sub forum and sub-sub-forum action thats currently going on or what?!

its ludicrous.

however, the site is great and the knowledge is rich, BUT the piss-taking and good spirit that it is taken in is the biggest positive.

I mean, have you been on scoobynet or the MLR recently? bunch of ass-hounds by and large!

at least this site is a bellend free zone generally speaking - even the bell ends are endearing in their own amusing way

ahem

(MK1 Gaz )

Admin i demand you do some heavy pruning of the site layout and forums - please feel free to begin immediately.
    Last edited by mista weava; 22-08-2007 at 18:01.
    www.rallycarsforhire.net

+ Reply to Thread