User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bike efi fuel pumps

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Bike efi fuel pumps

Would an in tank efi fuel pump from day the likes of a GSXR be up to the job of supplying fuel for a 2L pinto with jenvey throttle bodies on it.

i quite like the idea of using an in tank fuel pump with a built in regulator. Would save me running a return fuel line and I think I could easily modify the bottom of my tank to take one.

cheers,

Kev

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Bike efi fuel pumps

All subject to power output ! Fuel flow for 120hp is the same for a car as it is for a bike.
    As long as the bike can produce probably 10% more hp than the Pinto i'd estimate that a bike in-tank pump will be ok.

Personally i'm not a fan of single line / head head EFI on a bike with only 200mm of fuel hose - on a car with maybe 2.0m don't expect quick
    fuel pressure reactions!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Would 2m of fuel line not be better at holding a decent pressure than 200mm? I would have thought in 200mm you would experience changes in pressure a lot faster... yes you would build pressure faster but you would also loose if faster?

I know the likes of vw use a single fuel line....in the golf R32 (I think) The fuel tank still has a return to it but the fuel is returned via a regulator built into the fuel filter which maintains 4 bar pressure in the fuel line running to the front of the car.

Cars using the chevy LS V8 also seem to go with the returnless system.

I was just thinking of a bike pump because it could possibly be a neat install and if something springs a leak it will leak in the tank. I'm not a fan of boot mounted or under car mounted pump.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Its not about building pressure - its about maintaining correct pressure over the injectors. As I said, its my personal dislike, I prefer recirc. systems.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    on a car with maybe 2.0m don't expect quick
    fuel pressure reactions!
    They run a fixed pressure, so no quick reactions are needed.

Certainly it is a very viable option, and as others say very common with modern cars these days. But as with any fuel system, pump, lines, filters etc etc all need to be suitable for the application in hand.

Equally given so many modern cars run dead heads these days, you could just source a pump/reg setup from one of those if a bike setup cannot work for you.

But it sounds like you're wanting to install all this in a car/tank that was also never designed with that in mind ?
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

+ Reply to Thread