User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C20xe oil temps

Pit Crew Decade Plus User onecamohv's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

C20xe oil temps

Hi Folks, im looking for some opinions on this.
    I was doing an autosolo yesterday and to be fair it was pretty hot out, and the event was all in one location in a factory complex so there was little or no driving to provide airflow between tests.
    It was fully flat out driving in 1st and 2nd gear circling pylons, etc etc so the engine was getting a hard time.
    The coolant temp rarely went above 100-105 all day, perhaps a few times.
    What was slightly concerning was the oil pressure in relation to temperature – I don’t have a working oil temp gauge at the moment so I know this is a bit of guess work, but when the car got really hot the pressure was dropping on idle to 23-25psi at 900-1000rpm lighting my massive 28psi oil light where it would never go below 30-35 before.
    If I let it cool for 15 mins oil pressure would be back to normal.

I guess my question is, should I be running an oil cooler on an xe doing this type of work? or would changing to something like Castrol 10w60 suffice?
    Would an oil cooler even help at such low air speeds?
    Im running 15w40 Fuchs fully synthetic at the moment

Thanks!!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: C20xe oil temps

tbh, im not surprised or worried by your oil light, and would expect 10-60w to keep the light out, unless you do the same thing with much higher ambient temps

My 1st Project
    Thanks

thanks graham, thats my concern, it wasnt exactly roasting out yesterday, maybe 15deg max. id be worried any hotter and im risking scuffing a bearing or worse i think with the oil thinning that much
    il try the 10/60 first before investing in a cooler.
    i also forgot to mention the sump is completely enclosed by a massive sumpguard, so there is practically no air getting to it whatsoever

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

i know you rally as well, but could you not take the sump guard off for an autosolo?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I believe the XE has an oil cooler as standard doesn't it? I vaguely recall a loop coming out of the oil filter housing that ran in front of the radiator on the original Astra/Cavalier/Calibra.

I don't think it was anything as extensive as proper radiator, something like a finned section of tubing? It's been a long, long time since we did the XE conversion (and took it back out again). I don't think it would hurt to put a small one in.

Yep, thought so:

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...-new-car-ramps

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN1021.jpg Views:	55 Size:	140.9 KB ID:	80672
    Last edited by MegatronUK; 10-04-2017 at 19:04.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    i know you rally as well, but could you not take the sump guard off for an autosolo?
    yeah i could i suppose, i wonder how much of an effect that would have? on pretty much all the other events we do there is a bit of a road drive from farm to farm or quarry etc so the car gets an easy drive with plenty of air between tests. its just on these events where you driving flat out at slowish speeds for 2-3mins then driving 50 meters from the finish to the start of the next test and repeat

here is a friend of mine on one of the tests from yesterday so there is very little airflow into the car even on the test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxMM8WlltoA&t=3s

Quote Originally Posted by MegatronUK View Post
    I believe the XE has an oil cooler as standard doesn't it? I vaguely recall a loop coming out of the oil filter housing that ran in front of the radiator on the original Astra/Cavalier/Calibra.

I don't think it was anything as extensive as proper radiator, something like a finned section of tubing? It's been a long, long time since we did the XE conversion (and took it back out again). I don't think it would hurt to put a small one in.

Yep, thought so:

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...-new-car-ramps

Attachment 80672
    ahhh, ok, there may be a reason why - redtops are known for running cool though, so it surprised me.
    it would be silly to risk the expensive engine over a small investment - i think il plan for a thermostatically contolled oil cooler and switch to 10w60

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onecamohv View Post
    ahhh, ok, there may be a reason why - redtops are known for running cool though, so it surprised me.
    it would be silly to risk the expensive engine over a small investment - i think il plan for a thermostatically contolled oil cooler and switch to 10w60
    Definitely; for what would probably be less than £200 for a small oil cooler and pipework I'd not risk a fully rebuilt motor. I have to say that I didn't bother when I ran my XE - but that was mainly circuits and airfield days, so plenty of airflow and decent speeds. That said I also didn't really have much invested in the motor either, I think we replaced the rod bolts and just ran-it as it came out of the Calibra.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I would be running a 10 or 13 row cooler with a stat and 10/40 oil

+ Reply to Thread