User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1976 MGB GT Rubber bumper *HELP NEEDED*

Thanks

1976 MGB GT Rubber bumper *HELP NEEDED*

Hi everyone, i have recently acquired a 1976 MGB GT that i am planning on sorting for road and occasional track day use. It is going to need a lot of work (been off the road 16 years!!) and is now currently stripped to the shell to sort the welding so now is the ideal time to consider engine swaps

I am sure all these questions have been asked before so please bear with me

I need some advice from you guys on the engine. I was originally planning to pull the 1800 and drop a rover 3.5/3.9 V8 with Lt77 box in but after a bit of internet surfing i have decided to go with something a bit more modern (and potentially cheaper) than the rover V8 after all, there is no point going to all that work to fit something that is as advanced as the engine that is coming out

So, i am looking for at least 150 bhp to make the work worthwhile without stretching a 40+year old chassis too far and am finding myself drawn to a 1.8/2.0 Zetec with RX8 gearbox which seem to be reasonably priced.

Things may alter as the car evolves but I would like to keep the EFI to keep things simple and ideally standardish to keep costs down so can the zetec be run as standard (ecu,wiring etc?) without any problems in a RWD configuration.
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: 1976 MGB GT Rubber bumper *HELP NEEDED*

I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep the entire standard injection system and electronics (beyond any space concerns!). The main thing would be ensuring that the tank and fuel lines are altered to suit the high pressure efi system.

Thanks

Thats great. Thank you MegatronUK . That way i can get it up and running relatively cheaply and then start modding as needed

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

The only word of caution using 'modern' OEM ECU's is the fact that they are hooked into loads of ancillary circuits and sensors - none of which will be present with the 'B' Any of which can / won't allow engine to either start or run correctly. A standalone ecu may be a easier / speedier route?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Yes, if at all possible I'd source a donor car so that you have access to the entire wiring loom.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

If u can get a very early mondeo ecu they don't have a complex immobiliser built in apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

YES - great to see an MGB GT being worked on and even better with the engine/box combo you're considering. Watching with interest (from NZ!)

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I have started collecting bits and have been in touch with a friend of mine who deals with Canems management systems. Upto now i think i am going to go with the following

Ford I4 2.3 galaxy/scorpio engine
    Carburettor (not sure which yet but probably DGAS)
    Mazda rx8 5 speed box (already have this)
    Canems management

but watch this space, i may change again if the measurements don't work out
    Paul

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Isn't the I4 engine a bit 'old tech' - heavy and just ok for strength / power? Wouldn't a 2.3 Duratech be a sensible choice - winner winner, chicken dinner! all round?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Nice to see another MG being updated! If it helps, I'm putting the ST170 in my MGB. I'm hoping to use the original ECU, inlet manifold and fuel system.

Thanks

Thanks Jimbo, I would have liked to have used the ST170 engine as i know of one really cheap(complete car) but i was told the engine won't run without the striping the whole car for standard loom/clocks/immobiliser/ecu etc?
    If i can be used with the standard electrics without having to use the clocks then this may be another option as the canems setup doesn't have any facilities to run the cam timing hence why i had discounted the st

Thanks

Decision made. I have got the combo i am going with. Mazda RX8 5 speed gearbox and a ST170 engine. Just got to decide which way to go with fueling now. Started stripping the ST lump of all its unnecessary clobber and sizing it up to the gearbox

Things i have found upto now

1-Crank breather will need modding or removing to clear RX8 slave cylinder
    2-either move starter to RX8 position or leave in ST position and mod RX8 bellhousing to suit
    3-May get away with standard ST sump but will have to do more accurate measuring when built up (have a RWD 1.6CVH that i may be able to nick the sump from)
    4-The overall size of the ST/RX8 combo is not much different from the 1800 B and overdrive box

So Jimbo in particular, i may be trying to pick your brains soon
    Paul

Bodger

Thanks

Good decision, just got mine up and running with the St motor and it runs like a dream, you'll need to mod the front cross member to clear the sump, but I know someone who's used the standard sump in a b but with the black top engine. You'll also need to decide whether you want to use a water rail or original thermostat housing, if original housing you may not be able to retain the original heater, I've removed mine and cut that part off the car to use the original housing

14. The Following User Says Thank You to escos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Escos. mine will be a long termer as the body needs a lot of work too. Have stripped the engine of all its brackets/housings etc and its surprisingly compact. Was thinking of using the standard EFI and electronics but i am leaning towards carbs/throttle bodies and aftermarket ecu

Bodger

Thanks

I went Jenvey's and Emerald K6, need to complete a few more miles and then get it mapped but it certainly feels good. Hopefully cured my small oil leak on the sump this week, time will tell when I get it out of the garage over the weekend.

I would recommend getting a spit, will make things far easier. Thankfully I didn't have to do any body work other than paint. Frontline are a useful contact, especially for the fuel system as they have everything in stock to make a return feed to the standard tank

17. The Following User Says Thank You to escos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Escos. On the body i need to replace the passenger side sill and castle rail and then rear wing but other than that the body is just about ready for building up again.I have finally had a couple of hours spare so have had chance to size up some of what i need on the engine/gearbox. Its a pain trying to fit it in between paying jobs

1-need a different flywheel/clutch to get rid of the STs dual mass jobbie
    2-need to remove or modify the crank breather assy housing as it fouls the RX8 clutch slave cylinder
    3-need to decide which way to go with the sump (have a RWD CVH that i can cannibalise if it will fit)
    4-need to organise a gasket set and renew all the gaskets and seals as its a bit oily

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Ref sump , do you have a xmember to avoid ?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

mgb x member is bloody huge, i recon they must of made them from bits of left over railway bridge they are that massive

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

Not too much on the list, can't help with clutch or flywheel, but for the breather I went for CFM take off as I have no take off on the manifold and went to a catch tank.

My cross member before and after, I do know someone who is running a black top with original sump and didn't take out as much as me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20150209_0021.jpg‎  

WP_20150211_0091.jpg‎  

23. The Following User Says Thank You to escos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Apparently the 1.8 blacktop zetec is a straight swap for the st dual mass and if i use the zetec clutch the splines will match my RX8 gearbox so hopefully that should be fairly straight forward.
    Could do with getting the engine in situ without the crossmember and then offer up the crossmember and see what needs doing. As Graham says the crossmember is mahoosive and i have picked up a spare as my original has been plated with what looks like 12mm plate so weighs more than the engine!!
    Think i will do the same Escos and loose the breather casing as its huge. plenty of space to stick a catch tank so that ma be the best solution. Have got a adaptor plate now so even though i have no flywheel or clutch i can get it all bolted up in one piece and start mocking stuff up (providing i don't get snowed under at work again!!)
    Paul

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Looking at the flywheel on my blacktop there are 2 sized clutches
    Mondeo 18 and 16 fw use 240 mm clutch while 18 blacktop is 220
    In both cases you want a 23 spline clutch which is from models with mt75 box I believe.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to alladdin For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi Marsie I've got a GT with an ST170 fitted running on its standard ECU its not to difficult to do..Click image for larger version Name:	Engine Bay.jpg Views:	93 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	81192

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TTBIKER For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, i have been away from the car due to the birth of my baby boy last month. TTBIKER your install looks fab, unfortunately i only have the engine but no wiring/ECU etc but i must admit that the simplicity of keeping it all as ford intended is very appealing. Going to set about getting it all mounted up and in position and then decide which way to go with fuel and ignition. Now the sills are done hopefully will have a couple of days spare over the next couple of weeks to get some more done with the drivetrain

Bodger

Thanks

Depends on what you want but I still have the original ECU inlet and maybe a few other bits, I don't have the wiring loom though but do have the ecu connector would just need the pins replacing

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I've got a spare wiring harness if your interested?

+ Reply to Thread