User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosworth V6 on megasquirt

Thanks

Cosworth V6 on megasquirt

What kit should I go for? I was planning on keeping the EDIS 6, but I've read the V3 can do away with it? Currently the engine has 2 lambda sensors, but would they need to changed to wideband?
    Has anyone on here done it before?
    ------------------------------------------------
    One day people will stop asking 'Is that bit of your car supposed to be hanging off/leaking/on fire like that?'

Thanks

Re: Cosworth V6 on megasquirt

Yep you can bin the EDIS with the MS. No need for a wideband unless you want too.

I support TS Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

you can indeed bin the edis with a v.3 however the v 2.2 is cheaper and a lot easier to build and will run edis6.
    you dont need wideband tho its said that narrow bands are not much use for tuning regardless of what systems used.
    im sure someone will have done it, check out the ms forums.

Bodger

Thanks

Just to add my 2c if it were me I'd get a V3 MS1 but start with EDIS (if you have the module anyway) as its a piece of piss to use. Once you're happy its running then switch to let megasquirt control the coils direct if you want. I'd only get a V2.2 if you're sure you want to use EDIS, its much harder (though entirely possible) to control the coild direct with a V2.2 as it doesn't have the hardware required to decode the VR sensor, and has no board space for the coil drivers (assuming you use VB921 or equivilent) so you'd have to add a daughter board.

There isn't that much advantage in binning EDIS. You can use rev limiters and launch control but thats about it (EDIS can't go any further retarded than 10 deg BTDC). EDIS also has about an 8600rpm limit, but I'm guessing you won't be near that.. I actually like EDIS as since its a factory ford system its rock solid reliable and easy to install.

As everyone else is sying if you want to tune it yourself wideband is an advantage. When I started I used a narrow band and got a reasonable tune, but got a much better tune when I bought a wideband. The innovate LC-1 is us$199 so its not that expensive. You'd only need one, you can assume both banks are at the same AF ratio.

andrew
    Last edited by andrewr; 15-10-2007 at 08:23.

Thanks

Would I notice any difference between using the V3 MS1 and V3 MS2? Apart from price!?
    One day people will stop asking 'Is that bit of your car supposed to be hanging off/leaking/on fire like that?'

Bodger

Thanks

There are a few advantages to MS2 in some installs.. If you want to use a stepper motor idle air valve (rather than a ford pwm one) get MS2. If you need higher resolution and low z injectors get MS2 (MS1 form memory you can't have both, and the res on MS2 is always higher). Some of the code is also different for accel enrichment and warmup. Look carefully at the features ans see if they matter to you.

My advice would be to start with MS1. The MS1 chip is worth about us$18 so if you decide later on you should have bought MS2 you're not out of pocket too much. You can just buy MS2 and swap the MS1 chip for the MS2 chip/board. An MS2 chip is US$90 on its own.

andrew

Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

as above, to convert to ms2 at a later stage simply swap the main chip for the ms2 version (comes on a "daughter"board). strait swap parts wise afaik.

Thanks

Cheers fella's you've been a big help! Going for the V3 MS1 Now just off to rebuild the engine!

Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Just to chip in aswell. The v3 board will run a six cylinder coil straight. I don't understand edis but surely ditching a component that could cause grief or or a point of failure must me good.
    Is it that narrow band sensors don't react quick enough to accurately tune.
    Any more comments would be good as i am hoping to do wasted spark and use a wideband with an innovate lc-1.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    Just to chip in aswell. The v3 board will run a six cylinder coil straight. I don't understand edis but surely ditching a component that could cause grief or or a point of failure must me good.
    Is it that narrow band sensors don't react quick enough to accurately tune.
    Any more comments would be good as i am hoping to do wasted spark and use a wideband with an innovate lc-1.
    It depends how confident you are.. If you don't use EDIS you have to rund 3 VB921s or 3 external ignitors, so you've introduced three points of failure instead of 1 very robust EDIS module.. And the VB921s take a bit of careful seting in order not to fry..

Narrow bands do react ok, but they don't reall tell you much. The only accurate point is the crossover at 14.7, so they aren't great for tuning under load. That said I tuned my car with one at first, and while it wasn't as good as the tune I got with my lc1 it was ok.

andrew

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

any one got a megesquirt running a v6 24v cossi that can help me out with mapping ?

+ Reply to Thread