User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinto 2.0 question

Bodger

Thanks

Pinto 2.0 question

Hi mates. I have this question that might be silly, but here it goes:

I am working on a 2.0 Pinto and I am thinking to use a 1.6 head I have available. I am planning to install a Piper BP 285 camshaft I have; can I use with it Ford OE followers and valve springs ?

Please let me have your kind advice

Cheers

Eduardo

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Pinto 2.0 question

I was previously using a 1.6 head on a 2.0 pinto, and an FR32 cam. I had very similar issues to this. The geometry was pretty messed up, cam running on edge of the follower pads. I’d used standard springs at first too, and the middle coils were binding.

I bought a valve spring compressor like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-TOO...item2a3353b2bd

and an airline that, one end fitted into the spark plug hole, and the other to a compressor. This allows you to pressurise the cylinder so the valves don’t fall in while you compress the spring.

All the bits came to a similar price to a new head gasket, so it was a no brainer.

I swapped to a set of Kent springs and problem solved. Car was quick, too.
    http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=483006
    As a general rule OE springs will bind

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

std folowers may work, geometry allowing, but im pretty sure std springs wont work

Bodger

Thanks

Hi Graham and sierra3dr, thanks to both of you for your kind and valuable information.

I will use Kent VS9 springs and std followers then.

Cheers

Eduardo

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Only if the Ford followers are new, not used. If you try used followers and a new camshaft, you will loose both. But beware.

I always buy the springs the constructor sells. So in this case I would buy Piper springs. The more you mix the more what can go wrong. If you don't have new Ford followers yet, I would buy Piper. Possible you can buy new Ford followers but maybe poor replica quality. You never know. BP285 have pretty aggressive on and off ramps so it's important to have the right spring and the right shape of follower. Piper followers are not as flat as some others so they compensate this in the lobe grind. Using other followers like KENT on the same camshaft will give you a faster profile but also a lot more stress into the valve train with more wear to cam lobe and follower. Same for BP134 profile, do not underestimate this cam's open and closing ramp. Fitting springs heavier as needed will also reduce lobe live.

Be sure the follower is dead right installed (flat part horizontal) or it will not last long.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onyd View Post
    Only if the Ford followers are new, not used. If you try used followers and a new camshaft, you will loose both. But beware.

I always buy the springs the constructor sells. So in this case I would buy Piper springs. The more you mix the more what can go wrong. If you don't have new Ford followers yet, I would buy Piper. Possible you can buy new Ford followers but maybe poor replica quality. You never know. BP285 have pretty aggressive on and off ramps so it's important to have the right spring and the right shape of follower. Piper followers are not as flat as some others so they compensate this in the lobe grind. Using other followers like KENT on the same camshaft will give you a faster profile but also a lot more stress into the valve train with more wear to cam lobe and follower. Same for BP134 profile, do not underestimate this cam's open and closing ramp. Fitting springs heavier as needed will also reduce lobe live.

Be sure the follower is dead right installed (flat part horizontal) or it will not last long.
    Hi onyd thanks also for your kind advice. I will tell you my sitation. I have two 205 pintos to rebuild. In one of them I will put his own head that will be worked and also be fitted with bigger inlet and exhaust valves. The cam could be either a Newman PH 4 or a Piper BP 285. Also have a 1600 pinto head that will also be worked and fitted with bigger inlet and exhaust valves.

And here comes mi dilema: The Newman PH4 has his correspondent followers. The Piper BP 285 will have OE brand new followers. Now, shall I put the Newman cam and followers on the 1600 head and the Piper BP 285 with OE followers on the 2.0 head, or viceversa.

About valve springs in both cams, Newman and Piper, I am planning to use FT415. These valves springs seem to be OK for me, but I am not totally sure.

May I have your kind advices about this plans I have ? I am correct or not ?

Wait your kind opinions and advices

Cheers

Eduardo

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

For the Piper I know it's a good cam, the Newman, on paper, should at least be the same but I can not judge because I've never had one. Tried to order from them a few months ago but had no response on most of my emails so I've ordered Piper again.

About the FT415, if you feel they are OK for you, good, I don't know they are OK for Piper or Newman because not in there list. I would at least measure the valve springs and compare with the pressure they one the cam be running on. Any extra pressure on a Pinto follower is decreasing cam and followers live.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onyd View Post
    For the Piper I know it's a good cam, the Newman, on paper, should at least be the same but I can not judge because I've never had one. Tried to order from them a few months ago but had no response on most of my emails so I've ordered Piper again.

About the FT415, if you feel they are OK for you, good, I don't know they are OK for Piper or Newman because not in there list. I would at least measure the valve springs and compare with the pressure they one the cam be running on. Any extra pressure on a Pinto follower is decreasing cam and followers live.
    Good morning onyd, thanks again for your advice and also for your interest in helping me with my issues. I'll tell what I've done so far. I check on Newman's catalog and FT145 spring is the one they recommend to fit with their PH4 cam, so thats OK. About using it with Piper BP 285, as its profile is pretty similar with Newman's PH4 I think its a good choice to fit Piper BP 285 aswell IMHO. Also I can buy them in Burton Power easely and at a very convenient price,

What do you think about mate ?

Cheers

Eduardo
    Last edited by Eduardo Benech; 19-04-2017 at 12:35.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Usual Newman has there own valve springs. If you have to order new springs anyway, why not buying the right one from Piper instead of KentCams? You will need a set for The Newman cam, if I would buy the cam I would order with springs but must say, Newman always ask for very heavy springs to install. I don't install them because even with there carbide inserts they still wear faster.

Piper and Newman do use the same casting for the Pinto. As a matter of facts, Piper use Newman Chilled Cast blanks. Only, they use no carbide insert followers. Also do not sell springs as heavy as what Newman recommend.

Bodger

Thanks

Here goes Burton Power info about this matter:

http://www.burtonpower.com/media/cat.../Pinto_Cam.jpg

I hope you can se it. Its a Newman PH 4 and states FT 145 springs

Thanks so much onix and let me have your opinion about

Cheers

Eduardo

Well the imagine says nothing but believe ne that what I am saying is true LOL
    Last edited by Eduardo Benech; 19-04-2017 at 16:28.

Bodger

Thanks
    Last edited by Eduardo Benech; 19-04-2017 at 17:39.

Bodger

Thanks

file:///C:/Users/EDUARDO/Downloads/fotos%20rose/Newman%20camshaft%20Ford%20Pinto%20SOHC%20Phase%204%20sprint%20-%20Newman%20Cams%20-%20Brands%20M%20to%20N%20-%20Parts%20by%20Brand.html

+ Reply to Thread