User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anyone sell brand new complete wiring looks for a 1600 MK2 Sport

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Question Does anyone sell brand new complete wiring looks for a 1600 MK2 Sport

I've got a 1600 Sport Mk2 and someone has bodgied up a lot of the wiring.. I was going to repair it myself when I thought I might as well buy a brand new loom (replace the almost 40 year old wiring) if anyone makes one? It's all factory with a Kent engine.

Tyre Kicker Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Re: Does anyone sell brand new complete wiring looks for a 1600 MK2 Sport

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Bad experience with this guy - seems alright first off but didn't deliver (in my opinion) what was asked and paid for). When I eventually got the finished article its quite well made but most certainly NOT plug and play!

Tyre Kicker Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

I hav'nt ordered anything from him, I spoke to him on he phone last year about his looms, he seemed OK on the phone. I asked him making some changes to the loom and he said no problem. I asked if it came with all plugs on and he said yes, I did think at the time it was too good to be true.
    I think I am going try and make my own now, how hard can it be

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Yeah - that's the script - nice as on phone, called in personally to look, do deal and pick up instrument binnacle, and column stalk switches etc. I said I was in no particular hurry and paid his invoice, (in full), that arrived a day later and due to that I assumed he was progressing the work. Contacted him after two months - no progress - apparently because I wasn't in a rush! Long story short, it took total of 5 months to get a finished loom and most of my bits back as he returned two LH stalks and no RH! and accused me of trying to fleece him! Only when I produced pictures of the stalks I gave him 'originally on the car' did he back down and supply a new one - probably from Burtons! as it sure the hell wasn't mine! I offered all of the old plugs, for dash, stalks, switches and Ign. and he said not important - loom came back with individual loose connectors to push on the pins - F**kin ridiculous! Please, no-one use this company unless you like grief!
    I've always wired my cars and bikes but the cost and time saving was attractive to me so went with the professionals asI don't have the patience or the facilities to do the 'right' job anymore but looks like i'll still be wire tracing and being a solder jockey duties with this product!

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloop View Post
    I think I am going try and make my own now, how hard can it be
    If you have an old loom to copy then it isn't difficult. Just finding the old connectors and pins is !

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

If you do decide to make your own loom, a couple of suggestions. 1) get your wiring diagram blown up to A0 size far easier to follow the wires 2) buy yourself a pack of adhesive tie wraps and place in positions of corners an take offs then you don't have loads of wires everywhere. Once you've got it all in tape off in places where legs off occurs to the links like switches and relays then remove and fully wrap.I did a loom for my cortina as it was a left hooker also did my engine loom for a cossy. Just take your time jobs a good un.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi guys, many thanks for the warning re Rapidfit.. I definitely won't be going there.. I'm on the otherside of the world to him (New Zealand), so that would increase my chances of having a bad experience!!
    I've decided to repair the existing loom, and make new sections where needed.. I enjoy wiring (never solder, always crimp), but was just being lazy and careful not to reinvent the wheel hence why I thought I'd see if someone did a premade loom.

+ Reply to Thread