User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing inner window cahnnel rubbers

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Question Replacing inner window cahnnel rubbers

Ok so I conulted the Haynes manual and it seems to be one hell of a mission to replace these rubbers . My second problem is the screw holding the quarter window dividing panel has been sprayed rusted completely stuck ( a screw extraction bit didnt even work !) , any ideas / tricks / tips would be greatly appreciated as it seems like I wont be able to do the job as per the manual

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Replacing inner window cahnnel rubbers

No Ideas , really stuck here guys

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

You'll definitely find it easier to take out the quarter glass out (most have the steel divider pop-riveted in, rather than screwed - you may have to drill the head off the screw anyway).

Wind the drop glass all the way down into the door, remove the window regulator and let the glass sit in the bottom of the door. Unbolt the quarter glass support so that you can pull it away from the drop glass. Once you've done that you should be able to remove the felt strip without having to lift the the drop glass out.

With the new felt strip fitted (remember to fit it to the 'extension' channel on the handle/lock edge of the door - replacing the screw that secures it if needed), lift up the drop glass so that it fits in the channel again, fasten the the divider to the door again (the drop glass should now be sitting firmly in the felt strip; held at both edges), and get someone to help you align the top of the divider with the hole in the top of the door frame and either fit another screw, or, usually easier, pop rivet it in again.

You can then lift the drop glass up again and refit the regulator.

I would get someone to help you with it - even just holding the drop glass in place while you loosen/tighten various things. Ideally you need about 3.5 hands at various points during the removal and refitting!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks mate !

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

No problem. It took me a while to work out the sequence - especially since it was a couple of years since the door had been disassembled!

+ Reply to Thread