User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camshafts for 2.0l n/a cosworth

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Camshafts for 2.0l n/a cosworth

- I think i'm going to try the Piper ultimate road, as i'm hoping the long duration will suit the low-flowing inlet (guestimate onthe flow bit).

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

My experience over here has been similar to Forrest_Rallyings post. You really need to consider all facets at once before touching a spanner. These engines need 11:1 compression at least. To get that you will have to very carefully choose pistons with the right valve reliefs to suit the much higher lift your going to need to get your required power. I'll tell you right now if you want to leave your head at 139.1mm ie no skimming your going to have to weld up and re-shape your chambers to get 11:1. My heads right on the limit at 137.2mm, I used custom CP pistons, inlet cam 11.6mm lift, exh 11.4mm and a .040" head gasket to get 10.5:1. The cruncher is your piston to valve clearance at TDC. You need as much as you can get on the exhaust. All this tech info aside, the Sierra head is an amazing engine.....leave it turboed. PS I got 170BHP at the wheels after nearly AU$20,000 on engine.
    YB Cosworth N/A rebuild ongoing.....100% Ford

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broberg View Post
    - I think i'm going to try the Piper ultimate road, as i'm hoping the long duration will suit the low-flowing inlet (guestimate onthe flow bit).
    Well that will be totally opposite. Long duration cams only work in good ported heads. If yours is poor flowing (not much more as standard) the cam will hurt more as what it will help.

I don't know how fast this cam really is, only thing I wanted to point is, your theory is wrong. Best to change from this idea

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onyd View Post
    Well that will be totally opposite. Long duration cams only work in good ported heads. If yours is poor flowing (not much more as standard) the cam will hurt more as what it will help.

I don't know how fast this cam really is, only thing I wanted to point is, your theory is wrong. Best to change from this idea
    I'll have the heads ported, and then have them recommend camshafts for this peoject.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

So you are saying the acralite pistons advertised at 12,5-1 compression for na won't reach at least 11-1, and not have correct valve reliefes? Somehow i doubt that..

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broberg View Post
    So you are saying the acralite pistons advertised at 12,5-1 compression for na won't reach at least 11-1, and not have correct valve reliefes? Somehow i doubt that..
    You'll need to do a dummy build, work your compression out and more importantly check your valve to piston clearance. Don't for one moment think that you can trust what the piston manufacturers inform you, after all they don't know your engine spec or dimensions.
    Last edited by Forest_rallying; 26-09-2017 at 21:02.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    You'll need to do a dummy build, work your compression out and more importantly check your valve to piston clearance. Don't for one moment think that you can trust what the piston manufacturers inform you, after all they don't know your engine spec or dimensions.
    Ofcourse this will be checked when building the engine. and yes, it will be checked using solid lifters..

+ Reply to Thread