User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help,renault scenic handbrake

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: help,renault scenic handbrake

Hi there looking for help my scenic 54plate went into garage for new back disks pads and calleper replaced got car home and the next day handbrake fault came up on dashboard released emergency lever under spare wheel and it cleared then 2days later it came back tried the emergency lever again but no luck took bit back to garage that did service and brakes they put it on a to computer and code c1186 came up can someone help me don't want to take it to dealer as they want £40 to give me the code I've got and then £700 if it is brake computer thanks

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

all Renault faults can be easily cured
    Just scrap them
    Sorted

Mechanic

Thanks

we just bought a scenic a few months back ......lovely car to drive, we had a problem with the sunroof but it was fixed under warranty and everything else seem fine for now.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

my handbrake on my 04 scenic decided to stop working on me this weekend in all the snow
    i still get the handbrake module flashing red whilst the error message comes up on the display
    EEEEEK
    help or advise please???

Marc

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

hi all i have just bought a 55 reg grand scenic and the parking brake dosent work at all what could the problem be?
    is it something i could fix or is it an expensive repair
    thank you

Racer Decade Plus User

My 1st Project
    Thanks

105Ian is the man for these he should have hes own handbrake web site
    Who dares wins PRO-ALLOY AGENT

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 105Ian View Post
    If the emergncy handle is pulled , there is certainly no spacer that falls out and needs to be replaced .
    To reset providing there are no faults with the system turn the ignition on wich you can do without starting the engine , to do this have the drivers door open and press the lock button on the mag card .
    Then put the mag card in the reader and hold the down the start button for 5 secs and the ignition will come on .
    Pull out the large part of the hanbrake switch and the push in the small part without letting go of the large part and you should hear the handbrake motor operate , sometimes will need to be done twice .
    You should not need to put it onto a diagnosis tool to reset unless there is a problem with the system but as you say the AA could not relase the handbrake it sounds like you have may have a problem with the system , and my advice would be to get a Renault dealer to check as my be quicker and cheaper in the long run .
    If still no joy let me know how you get on as I work for Renault .

Cheers Ian

Hi,

I have a renault Megan Scenic which is an 08 plate.

It's been driving fine until recently, when we are stationary after driving around we apply the handbrake and when we try to drive away the handbrake sticks and won't come off.

I actually have to manually set it to off in order to drive away, has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to call up my garage to see if they can fix it, but I want to avoid horror scenarios, especially if it's a fix like the reset fix Ian mentioned above?

many thanks!

Lee

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

My electric hand brake just went in my 05 grand scenic. The electric motor and 1 of the cables were good but the 2nd cable was shot. Cables don't come seperate so a new motor unit was 475euro plus vat from Renault. My mechanic seen this before on a jag and found CRAFTCABLES here in Ireland who can redo the cables at 45euro per cable. Job done

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

hi all
    just thought i would say hi .... well hi all....lol
    i have read ala about people having trouble with changing pad and discs . well i just had to say i changed all my pads (front and back ) today and the front discs , i found it all straight forward only thing which was a problem was winding back to calipers but i used a right handed rewind tool ( machine mart for £ 12.00) , the tool is only used on the back , the front have push in pistons .

now tomorrow i need to do the hand break cables (right and left) which looks sraight forward other than swittiching on the +after ignition feed , which i dont thinks gonna work as my key card has been fixed about 40 times to stopp the card not detected which comes up on the dash lol
    so the only option i have is to pull the emergency handbreak in the boot which was pulled buy my local garage when the brake cable started to play up .....

after all this your probs wondering what my question is well here goes ,,,, if i do have to put the emergency hand brake hows the easyest /best way to reset it please
    hope i have helped anyone with my info and look forward hopefully before tomorrow tom get a reply

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

in theory applying the handbrake in the normal manor should reset it

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

ok will try that thanks

Racer Decade Plus User jimmy2006's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

if you use the emergency handbrake in the boot you will get a alarm beep on start up and warning lights will flash up on your dash showing parking brake problem with a short drive up the road this will reset the warning lights
    sideways is the best way to turn a corner

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Angry Re: help,renault scenic handbrake

Help please

Went to set off today in my 04 plate scenic 2 and I got an electronic fault message and the hand break wouldn't release.

I tried to reset the parking break using the key and the start button but this did not resolve anything. In a panic to get to work on time I pulled the emergency break release so i could set off but then when I went to apply the handbrake (before going anywhere) nothing happened and the handbrake will not go on.

Please can anyone recommend how to fix this or how much it is likely to cost via Renault.

So far I’ve tried

* Removing neutral cable from battery to reset
    * drove around for a while in hope that it resets it
    * Reset the handbrake via the keycard and start button

Any help would be appreciated, as I’m beginning to hate this car

Thanks

Matt

Bodger

Thanks

I'm very new here but....I've had the misfortune to have a customer with a scenic...the handbrake fucked up on it last year while i was in spain..I suggested shoving it on the ferry back to dieppe on a one way ticket so the French could have their rubbish back....
    Anyway I got home and had the delight of it..I got the motor and cable assembly from renault,I seem to think it was knocking on for 400 quid?...don't take that as exact to the penny but it was near that..I popped the motor and cables on,there's some little plastic wedge things that stop the cables popping out of handbrake arm on calipers...DO NOT CONNECT THE MULTIPLUG TO MOTOR...drove it over to a guy at angmering just other side of Brighton that had the relevant programming equipment or whatever you want to call it,he plugged into it,done the crucial bit for £40 quid while I waited and that was that..been fine ever since...apart from obviously its a shit French car and its likely to to have some other electronic calamity in the next year...hope this of some use..

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Good morning forum people
    Forgive me, new member with a problem already

55 plate Renault Grand Scenic , electronic handbrake stuck on
    I've tried all the recommended methods of releasing it, even the emergency handle in the boot won't free it, any suggestions ???

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i would jack it up and find out if both rear wheels are still locked hard on, if its only one then you probably have a seized brake caliper or cable to that caliper

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks Graham, I managed to move it in the B&Q car park while waiting for AA recovery, and again to get it onto my drive
    On both occasions, both rear brake discs where hot, so I think both are binding

Had all been fine till yesterday, no error messages or anything

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I had to replace one of the rear calipers on wifes 2006 Grand Scenic 2.0 VVT Auto and replaced all the rear pads at the same time. Ii then bled the brakes and after all that I pulled on the electronic handbrake to test it. The handbrake made a whirring noise and the warning light appeared on the dash. I have tried to reset the handbrake several times but it makes no difference. I may have had one of the handbrake cables atached to the caliper when I was winding back the piston.

What have i done wrong and what do I need to do to fix the problem. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

after bleeding you should of pumped up the brakes nice and firm on the foot pedal before applying the handbrake.

try winding the pistons back, then before trying the handbrake. you may need a diagnostic tool to plug in if that doesnt work

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    after bleeding you should of pumped up the brakes nice and firm on the foot pedal before applying the handbrake.

try winding the pistons back, then before trying the handbrake. you may need a diagnostic tool to plug in if that doesnt work
    I did pump the foot brake until there were nice and firm as I in fact bled the nearside caliper at the same time. When I had the caliper bled and was happy with the foot brakes I then tried the handbrake. I would hear it wizzing as I imagined it was resetting. When it finished the red light was flashing in the centre of the handbrake handle and the handbrake has never worked since.

Looking under the car, I have checked and the handbrake levers are working perfectly on both calipers and the nearside cable appears to be the correct length. The offisde cable appears to be too long. I have tried to pull the handbrake reset handle in the boot but cannot notice anything happening and I have tried to reset the handbrake by switching on the car but not restarting it but the handbrake is still not working?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I have come to the conclusion that nothing is happening when I pull the emergency handle in the boot of my Grand Scennic II and I do not hear any sound when I do the reset as found on another thread on this site.

I have checked all the fuses under the passenger seat and they are all fine.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I have come to the conclusion that nothing is happening when I pull the emergency handle in the boot of my Grand Scennic II and I do not hear any sound when I do the reset as found on another thread on this site.

I have checked all the fuses under the passenger seat and they are all fine.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I have taken the EPB Box off the car and I have opened it to find that it had not reset after the emergency handle had been pulled.

I had tried to do the reset numerous times, following the instructions on here and I could not hear the motor in the EPB box doing anything.

I have checked the fuses under the passenger seat and these were all good.

Why would it not have reset and what do I check, now that I have removed the EPB box. I have also damaged one of the rubber mounts, can replacements be bought on ebay?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: help,renault scenic handbrake

It is well worth checking the fuse. Taking fuse out, checking it was ok and replacing seemed to reset something for me. (We had encountered parking brake fault (stop!) warning. Then stopped. Parking brake went on. But didn't release. We pulled the manual release cable in boot.)

Behaviour changed from red light blinking and Parking Brake doing nothing to parking brake trying to go on and off. Can hear the motor weakly moving. Brake doesn't actually go on so be careful.

So battery should be checked out next. Cold weather just came here. Battery starts car fine seems strong but one time was slow to turn over.

The white fuse.

As you can't get any noise out of the handbrake computer when trying to reset the system , it maybe a fault with the unit itself .
    There is a fuse for the system it is in the auxliary fuseboard wich is under the passanger seat , if you pull the tray from under the seat and look inside you should see it its a 25amp fuse and it feeds the lever and the handbrake computer , if the fuse is o.k. it goes to pin H4 on the hanbrake computer to see if you are getting a feed there and to pin 6 on the lever .While you under the seat have a look for any sign of water damage in the main loom connection its a big plug with about 30 wires each side .
    Let me know how you get on with that and I will go from there .

Cheers Ian

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

partly true when you use the release in the boot the yellow handle it disconnects from the main motor inside the main box >the reset procedure does not always work if this is the case then you will need to ckeck the brake calipers and the cables if they are free in movement .We have been reconditioning these units for a while and the main culprit start with is the cables they over time start to sieze and put strain on the internal of the main unit .
    If the emergncy handle is pulled , there is certainly no spacer that falls out and needs to be replaced .
    To reset providing there are no faults with the system turn the ignition on wich you can do without starting the engine , to do this have the drivers door open and press the lock button on the mag card .
    Then put the mag card in the reader and hold the down the start button for 5 secs and the ignition will come on .
    Pull out the large part of the hanbrake switch and the push in the small part without letting go of the large part and you should hear the handbrake motor operate , sometimes will need to be done twice .
    You should not need to put it onto a diagnosis tool to reset unless there is a problem with the system but as you say the AA could not relase the handbrake it sounds like you have may have a problem with the system , and my advice would be to get a Renault dealer to check as my be quicker and cheaper in the long run .
    If still no joy let me know how you get on as I work for Renault .

Cheers Ian

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Help Please, I have a Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique on a 60 plate, drove it 2 days ago no problem, been stood out the front for 2 days , went to drive it today and the automatic handbrake will not release, not even manually ! It did briefly come up on the screen battery low start engine, this was after I had started and knocked it off a couple of times. The parking braking is now flashing along with the message on the screen STOP check parking brake ! . I've seen the posts about the yellow lever and seen a video with holding the big handbrake button and pushing a red button , however mine does not look like that, it is just a tiny black handbrake button with a red light. I would normally lift/ pull back for a manual release, or it can be pushed forward/down . Could it be that the battery is low ??? Also I have had problems with water coming into the compartments under the footwell, it was due to a blockage on the windscreen wipers at the front, that was sorted but there is still alot of dampness under the rear footwells, I noticed a previous post on here about water damage around the electrics under the seat , could this be the problem ??

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

sorry its not clear from you post but you do know the manual release is in the spare wheel well?

flat batteries often cause the handbrake warning, which often needs a fault code reader to reset but usually they still function even when showing the display warning

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi Graham thanks for your reply. I read from some of the other posts and sites that it's in the spare wheel compartment however mine is the 7 seater and has no spare wheel :/ where would I find it please ?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i would guess its close to where it would be if you had a 5 seater

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I have water coming in under the back floor wells, have had the same with the front but that got sorted due to a blockage in the pipes, could this be the same problem and if so could this be the reason for automatic handbrake now not releasing and the warning light staying on ? Message on the screen says" check parking brake" STOP ! Cannot release the handbrake at all

+ Reply to Thread