User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 72 Pinto Wagon called Donkey

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

72 Pinto Wagon called Donkey

Hello all, my name is Geert and I drive a 72 Pinto Wagon. I already found a German engined (71 to 73) Pinto Wagon (Osiyo59) on this site , so most of you know about their existence.
    Mine however is not in the States but in the Netherlands, imported by someone in 2014 who subsequently lost interest, so I bought it off him. I immediately also acquired a 2.0 EFI T9 Granada mk3 (Scorpio mk1) to serve as a donor car and transplanted the whole drivetrain to the Pinto in 2015.
    The whole project with pictures can be found on Fordpinto.com, or just google 72dutchwagon.

My Pinto is a very scruffy car that may easily already have done tons of miles on different drivetrains (came out of the factory with a 2.0 and four speed, when bought it was a C4 automatic, with later rear axle), but I like it, and I call it Donkey.

In 2016 I replaced the rear axle with a 1978 Mustang II 8-inch, and that’s the situation at the moment; 1972 car with 1985 (well worn) Pinto EFI, T9 5-speed, and 1978 8-inch rear. The car gets driven and is used for all kinds of chores, not babied or anything. I have no intention of dropping vast amounts of money in this thing, it has to earn its keep.
    Future plans include plain and simple maintenance to bring a tired drivetrain up to standard, and upgrades to engine, motor mounts, brakes, steering, and whatever the next bottleneck might turn out to be.
    I’ll be asking questions in the technical section soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

72 Pinto Wagon called Donkey

Nice to have something different 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: 72 Pinto Wagon called Donkey

Cool, I think I have never seen a Pinto wagon in Europe before.

I guess it works a bit better with EFI Pinto, in a Pinto :-D

Gustaf

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: 72 Pinto Wagon called Donkey

Last week I changed the tired 85 head for the reconditioned 90 head with FR34 Kent cam.
    Of course this involved removal of the infamous Pinto EFI double V pulley. I tackled this with a lot of patience, plenty WD40 and a standard steering wheel puller kit. Put the thing under strain, let it sit for a night, tap it gently sideways near the center (not on the V’s!) with a hammer, more WD40, more strain, after two days it started to move.
    Because I’m not a big fan of one time use items I decided to replace the stretch head bolts for an ARP stud kit.
    Everything is back in working order now, so far the car seems to have more pulling power in lower rev’s, and with a new cam belt on and fresh coolant this is the first real service it had since dropping the untouched Scorpio lump in Donkey.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread