User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo Pinto Capri, Mitsubishi 19T and 2.1 bar of boost

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Turbo Pinto Capri, Mitsubishi 19T and 2.1 bar of boost

After some driving and adjusting this summer I finally got the Capri on the dyno at Sävar Motor again.

Short spec:205 Pinto block
    DP Pistons in 91,5 mm bore, 38 mm flat tops
    Maxspeedingrods steel rods, 129,5 mm
    (should give me around 8.55:1 CR)
    RWD YB oil pump and spray bar
    YB sump with wings, and trap doors
    Pinto crank
    TTV steel flywheel to take 240 mm YB clutch

Head is a carb with slight port job
    Paul Ivey/REC valves (REC 882 inlets 1.800”/45.7mm, REC 297 exhaust1.500”/38.0mm)
    Kent FR34 camshaft (the kit with supplied springs etc. from Kent Cams)

"Swedish plenum" intake, YB trumpets fixed to Pinto flange
    Pulse split exhaust manifold

Mitsubishi TD04-19T turbo, internal wastegate (modified Holset actuator)

Megasquirt MS3 with MS3X board.

This is the engine build detailed here: http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1142387

While the engine had been reasonably responsive during the summer, at around 1,4 bar, it was evident some real dyno tuning was needed.

We started off at spring pressure (no boost control activated) and that leveled out at close to 1.1 bar. At around 6500 rpm the power was still climbing but just over 7000 we heard a clatter in the knock sensing equipment. We figured it might be valve float or possibly the rather aggressive ramps that made the sound. Another 500 rpm would have been nice but not this time.

The baseline ended up at 245 whp (6900 rpm) and 273 Nm (5800 rpm), not a bad number and quite perfect for registration purposes.

After that, we enabled the boost control and started to dial in more boost for track use. This is my first try with a real boost control system, and that was quite interesting. At around 1.5-1.6 bar the turbo stopped flowing more in the higher rev range so we decided to ramp down the boost towards 7000, and instead kick it up a bit until 4500-5000.

This gave a max power of 279 whp (5800 rpm) and 416 Nm (4400 rpm).

Now for the interesting part, comparing to the old engine specification (lower compression ratio, smaller head/valve/cam, bigger Holset HX35 turbo).

When we tuned that in 2015 the top results were 284 whp (5900 rpm) and 398 Nm (4400 rpm), at 1.8 bar. At 1.1 bar that engine gave 226 whp (5900 rpm) and 325 Nm (4500 rpm).

Dyno graphs:

I do think I now have an engine with a broader power band. Still yet to try driving it though (unloaded off the trailer att 11.30 pm last night).

Gustaf

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Turbo Pinto Capri, Mitsubishi 19T and 2.1 bar of boost

Does this compressor map represents your turbo? It suggest that this turbo is capable of 300bhp (very approximately) and you got this result which means that everything is OK, good job, congratulations.

By the way, your budget conrods seems to be OK, did you use bolts supplied together with them?

Click image for larger version Name:	td04h-19t-cfm.gif Views:	389 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	81604

Thanks

Yes, that should be the turbo. It is pretty much maxed out, that's for sure.

I would like to refresh my memory on how you can estimate the air flow in the engine, I am a bit weary about the risk for surge in this case. We also run it above the map briefly (pressure ratio above 3.0). It might well be that we are asking a bit too much of it but it does run rather sweet now.

Yes, using the supplied bolts. Too little mileage to really say much but in relation to other builds I don't feel we stress the rods very hard.

Regards

Gustaf

Bodger

Thanks

By the way, what IC are you using? 2 bar of boost should kick the intake temps up, what have you had while dynoing ?

Thanks

It's a rather large KL Racing intercooler.

I don't have the logs here but I don't think we exceeded 40 degrees C in intake temps. So not too bad I think.

Gustaf

Bodger

Thanks

Great work Gustaf 👍

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Brilliant result and very similar spec to what I intend to build next year. Sticking with my stock bottom end again for next summer then a forged build at the end of next season.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Nice done. Good old Pinto does it again. I feel this engine can be fine tuned for more. Maybe playing with some turbo's.

On one of my budget Pinto turbo's we also had 275 bhp on 1,4 bar. Standard head, Sierra injection manifold. Using a Sierra Cosworth turbo (maybe slightly modded but can't remember anymore). Torque came in earlier but was never so high.

Thanks

Yes, the "next step" in getting more or better power is something else turbo wise, another exhaust manifold (probably) and perhaps looking into E85.

But that will wait, my plan is to just drive it in 2018 like this. I will make some small adjustments to other parts of the car but the engine will be left alone, as long as this setup also feels OK on the road.

The "unmapped" driving this season showed that I really like the midrange from this smaller turbo so any changes need to keep the same kind of power/torque in the 3500-4500 range. Looking at the power plot it doesn't seem like a big difference but it felt a lot more "catchy" when driving.

Gustaf

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

and perhaps looking into E85.
    from my experience thats a 20-25% power gain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    from my experience thats a 20-25% power gain
    Might well be, the biggest hurdle is that my local gas station does not carry E85. I'm lazy and don't want to have to travel in the opposite direction vs the track just to fill up.

A friend just built a turbo Zetec in a Westfield, using E85 on a stock engine and that gave some really nice results.

Gustaf

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks for the link to your thread Gustaf. Great to see your results here. I did cheat with mine. Built in my back yard shed then trailered it to one of the best tuners in Australia It's a flex fuel system and the base tune was 98 and at 14psi gave 242whp. Graham I only gained another 60hp on E85 (your figures are spot on) because of the smaller turbo- GT2860RS 0.86. But 300whp was my power goal and it has achieved that with fantastic response.
    Last edited by OZMK1; 20-04-2018 at 15:23.

Thanks

That's a good power figure at such low boost. I was at 245 bhp on 1.1 bar but to be honest we didn't spend a great deal of time to optimise at that boost level.

Gustaf

+ Reply to Thread