User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinto Injection upgrading

Bodger

Thanks

Pinto Injection upgrading

Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for quite a long time and as far as I have seen the majority of naturally aspirated Pintos are tuned using carbs, however I do not have experience with it and honestly not very interested in using carbs, therefore I want to build stronger Pinto using fuel injection.

I already completed (for this moment ) Pinto turbo project with fairly good results, now I have another Sierra with EFI, this is "iS" version with 85kW in stock. My plan are as follows:

1. As I already have freshly rebored and honed short block, I will use it. It has +1mm stock cast pistons and rods, I think they are KS "carb version" as I have seen such in carb models while EFI has slightly different rods and pistons (Mahle). Are they any different?
    Click image for larger version Name:	20171008_125304.jpg Views:	106 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	81638

2. REC oversized valves (44.4 and 38) in standard length and triple groove, the camshaft could be Kent FR30/FR34 or Burton BF134, not sure which is better yet. I think the max revs will be 6k or similar. Some porting and cleaning.

3. Raised CR to 10-10,5.

4. Already have Kent adjustable pulley for optimum cam timing, Ashley complete exhaust using 4-2-1 runners.

5. Already have programmable piggy back which could be used to fine tune fuel and ignition timing.

6. Maybe a 74deg thermostat.

The main question is how much power could I expect from such build? It is relatively budget build as I want to avoid buying forged conrods/pistons and other expensive stuff.

Thanks

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Pinto Injection upgrading

around 135bhp, perhaps 140.

re pistons and rods, most sierras have the later beefier wide beam rods, although they are not actually much of an upgrade.
    pistons are same but different! for all practical purposes they are the same, later ones use narrower rings, which probably gave a tiny efficency/emission improvement

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I believe left piston is Mahle, right piston is KS but not 100% sure. Ford has been using both, after market, most sell KS and little cheaper.

For single throttle body setup I would use BF134 all the time. You wil indeed end round 135 Bhp with a correct modified head.

Management Team Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Mahle is the better piston, a lot better made and will ultimately handle more power, they come with the thinner rings too.
    Cosworth Electronics / Pectel Dealer, Syvecs Dealer.
    Europes Largest Link ECU Dealer - Aim Sportline Dash and Datalogger Dealer, ECU Master for South East UK
    UK Mahle and Reinz Distributor - 3J Driveline Dealer - Corbeau Seat Dealer
    ECU & Dash packages preconfigured and custom looms made to order.
    Professional conversions - Engine Swaps - Complete Project Design
    0% Finance Available on all products and services.
    [B]Engine Parts for most makes, all Ford parts kept in stock, Pinto, Xflow, YB, V4, V6, Zetec, Dratec, Wiring Looms Plugs, Plug Kits and Loom Products, Head Refurbishment and Porting, Engine Rebuilding Services.
    w: www.shopbhp.com e: sales@shopbhp.com
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandshatchperformance

Bodger

Thanks

The 20 bhp increase is not that much after all, is it even worth bothering and making bigger valves over stock ones ? I understand that the biggest issues are single throttle manifold and lack of RPM ?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

bigger exhaust valve will probably do nothing, ive had 200bhp on 36mm ex valves. the bigger inlets are well worth having.

your correct its not going to rev hense bhp figure will look lowish, BUT your still looking at about a 20% power gain which isnt to be sniffed at, and you will gain a lot of torque over standard

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Best setup for making real torque AND power, fit a set of Webers. Maybe you are not very much interested in carbs but at this entry level budget, they beat you any time in a NA engine.

A mild tuned Pinto can easy make 150 - 160 Bhp with very good torque. A number you can never reach with single throttle body.

Or use ITB if you want to stay injection. It's the 4 throttle plates you need

+ Reply to Thread