User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Series 1 RS Turbo

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Series 1 RS Turbo

Hello. Ive just gotten hold of a series 1 and ive got a few questions i need to ask. Im more used to my pintos and 60's fords so a rs turbo is all a bit new to me, so im a bit lost tbh.

First off, i dont know how much power it should be making. Its had big valves fitted with loads of porting and polishing. Stage 1 hybrid Garrett T3. Double capacity PACE cooler. -31 actuator at 1bar. CVH 32 cam (i think it was 32 anyway). Any estimationsons that? I want to know what to expect before i dyno it.

Second, i keep hitting the overboost kill switch in second and it dies in third. Anything i can do about it? Normally its ok but now n then i get it if i hit the limiter.

Third, the bottom 4 lights on the dash flash for about 30 seconds after start up. Is it a problem?

Fourth, the engine seems almost tappetty on tickover. Its as if something gently rattling. On throttle it goes. Is it just the hydraulic tappets worn or worse? I plan to fit solid lifters eventually but i dont want anything going bang in the meantime.

And finally. Im after fitting some new alloys. Its got the standard wheels at the moment, which i like, but i want to put them away and get something different. How wide can i go and what offsets? Im only after between 15's and 17's depending on style. would i get best handling from 15's?

Cheers for letting me pick your brains

boXXer

Re: Series 1 RS Turbo

1. I would say at least 200hp
    2. no idea.
    3. They flash as its telling you the sensors are not connected/broken, so they will be useless. Wont effect the running of the car though.
    4. Probably lifters, although CVH's have a habit of eating aftermarket Cams. Chuck some OE lifters in it and see what happens.
    5. you can go 17", but they need to be ET35+,They drive shit on 17's though, and i'd stick to originals for handling.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Series 1 RS Turbo

Cheers.
    Ill wait till i come to doing more work before i start looking at what to do about the tappets.
    Im probably going 15's so no silly 17's anyway.

+ Reply to Thread