Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Re: Wanted Omex ecu

Why? has to be one of the worst ECU's out there.
    Cosworth Electronics / Pectel Dealer, Syvecs Dealer.
    Europes Largest Link ECU Dealer - Aim Sportline Dash and Datalogger Dealer, ECU Master for South East UK
    UK Mahle and Reinz Distributor - 3J Driveline Dealer - Corbeau Seat Dealer
    ECU & Dash packages preconfigured and custom looms made to order.
    Professional conversions - Engine Swaps - Complete Project Design
    0% Finance Available on all products and services.
    [B]Engine Parts for most makes, all Ford parts kept in stock, Pinto, Xflow, YB, V4, V6, Zetec, Dratec, Wiring Looms Plugs, Plug Kits and Loom Products, Head Refurbishment and Porting, Engine Rebuilding Services.
    w: www.shopbhp.com e: sales@shopbhp.com
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandshatchperformance

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    why?

Management Team Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Firstly its design is like 20 years old, would you buy a 20 year old TV or a modern one ?

The software is buggy.

It has fixed inputs and outputs.

It has little engine protection like fuel and oil pressure cut.

It only has 2 ignition drivers and 2 injection drivers so can only run wasted spark and banked injection.

You cant upgrade the firmware.

It is not sealed so will allow water in.

It has a limited warranty.
    -----------

The Link Atom on the other hand will do fully sequential injection and fuel, has on board barometric sensor and has fully configurable inputs and outputs and is fully flash upgradable and won't fill up with water, it also comes with a lifetime warranty !

Most people are amazed when I tell them they are the same price.

Omex 600:

Link Atom:

Both Units:

https://shopbhp.com/collections/link...4-cylinder-ecu
    Europes Largest Link ECU Dealer - Aim Sportline Dash and Datalogger Dealer, ECU Master for South East UK
    [B]Engine Parts for most makes, all Ford parts kept in stock, Pinto, Xflow, YB, V4, V6, Zetec, Dratec, Wiring Looms Plugs, Plug Kits and Loom Products, Head Refurbishment and Porting, Engine Rebuilding Services.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I sold my project car this summer, yet started a new project on the same base with equal motor setup. Spare loom I have so
    it is plug and play. I'm also on a tight budget so a 500 is good enough for me, and works perfect on my car.
    Though interesting that the Atom is the same.

Management Team Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Just re-pin the loom, if its an omex loom I can tell you where to put each wire

Here is a tech note I wrote some time ago just on the benefits of sequential injection, just one of the benefits of a modern ECU.

People are often quick to say that there are no gains moving from banked injection to sequential injection so I would like to take a few minutes to discuss exactly that.

Firstly banked injection does work very well, a lot of cars used this method into the 1990’s and some beyond however as soon as governments turned green and decided that the Polar Bears needed to be saved, they levied tax on fuel efficiency, great for the green budget and the polar bears and actually great for us engine tuners too.
    Car manufacturers moved towards sequential injection for one very good reason, its simply better. Yes it costs more to implement in hardware and software development, but today we have 32 and 64 bit processors and silicone memory is cheap and developers can be found queuing at the unemployment office due to overselling degree courses.

Banked, Bank to Bank, Semi Sequential, Paired injection or whatever you want to call it is a method used when ECU’s were limited in processing power or built on a budget or designed to be used with slow injectors. Essentially they only have half the number of injector outputs than the engines cylinder count.

So what happens in an injection sequence:
    In basic terms an injector is a solenoid, you apply power to the injector and it opens, when open the injector will allow fuel to flow for a period of time (for the PW (pulse width) normally only for a few milli seconds ‘ms’.

In banked injection mode the required amount of fuel is halved but injected twice per cycle (technically its a very little more than half due to the first load dropping out of atomisation but I won’t confuse things this early)

With sequential injection we can simply pulse the injector once with the exact required amount of fuel at the right time we only open the injector once per cycle and the fuel is mostly pulled into the cylinder and consumed.

So I can hear you thinking, so isn’t pulsing the injector twice with half the fuel the same as once with all the fuel…… Well no lets take a deeper look:

1.) Injectors take time to open and close, when we apply power it takes time for solenoid coil to energise and move the metal disk or pintle off its seat and into the fully open state and again when the injector is de-energised it will take time to shut; a modern injector can take as little as 0.6ms to open and close and an older style one as much as 1.6ms to complete this process. Opening is almost nearly always a longer process than closing due to the fuel pressure acting in that direction, so for instance if we apply a 10ms pulse (10ms -1.6ms =8.4ms actual fuel), you will get up to 5x more fuel out that say 5 times a 2ms pulse (2ms-1.6ms = 0.4ms *5 =2ms.

2.) In testing switching between Banked injection and Sequential modes always gives cleaner exhaust emissions mostly due to the fuel being inside the cylinder and not sitting pooling on the walls of the port, this also gives noticeably better fuel economy better for most races (lighter fuel cell) an absolute must in endurance racing.

3.) As much as I have heard very experienced people say you won’t get more horsepower from switching from banked to sequential you have to wonder about their motives, firstly sequential injection always gives more power when the engine is in its best efficiency zones, peak torque and peak bhp, more so in plenum type designed inlets, not so much with individual throttle bodies but these then suffer more with fuel pooling due to the lack of turbulence forcing the fuel out of atomisation.

4.) How do you tune banked injection, simply to protect the hottest cylinder, so you end up with 1 richer than the other, this is easily seen when running exhaust gas temperature sensors in each header and can also be read on the spark plugs if your experienced enough, in a 4 cylinder its often required to add 4% more fuel to number 3 to get an equal balance, you can’t do that with banked injection.

5.) If you open the injectors twice per cycle you also get much more fuel rail pulses, car manufacturers have often added dampers even to sequential injected cars because an undamped rail can cause unpredicted injector opening and closing times, this is what we talked about before and its very important we can predict this ‘injector dead time’ so we can deliver the exact amount of fuel every time.

6.) Sequential injection with large injectors always gives better idle control, something thats very important in racing…. wait a minute you say idle and racing…. Well yes idle is very important firstly I still get customers calling and asking if we can help stop their race car fouling plugs or flooding when cold, both conditions caused by using large injectors and banked injection. You also do not want to be held on the start line with your plugs slowly fouling can cause you misfires for the first lap at least.

7.) Injector timing can be adjusted in sequential mode, getting the fuel into the cylinder in one squirt timed precisely with the inlet valve opening is something that was a massive development, but still only a few take advantage of this.

8.) Often a very misunderstood subject is transient fuelling, when you change your requirement from the engine in a throttle press you are in a transient mode, fuel will pool on the wall of the cylinder and start to boil off much less in a sequentially injected engine leading to better transient fuel control and faster engine accelleration.

In summary, sequential is better because you will go faster, accelerate faster out of corners, use less fuel and your engine will last longer.

Notes: use modern injectors can be very fast (0.6ms to open and close) be high flow rate (1000cc) and also still require 2ms pulse at idle speed due to the injectors non linearity (Bosch EV14 1000cc)

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Nice and good story, but Omex works fine for me.

Bump, anyone ?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

What's your budget on the 500. I have one. As new condition and also a overbraided 4 cylinder loom to go with it.

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to explain that clint, very interesting
    I thought it was just a case of.... dump some fuel, spark, bang, repeat and had no idea just how complicated fuelling can be.

I too was planning on using omex but only because it was a well known brand

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

I thought it was just a case of.... dump some fuel, spark, bang, repeat and had no idea just how complicated fuelling can be.
    it is AKA a carb and dizzy, but it can be so much better, but only as good as the bloke that maps it. i took a car off an omex and put it on an emerald, peak power gain, nothing, but the midrange was up about 30bhp, and it actually had some low end power rather than a big fat nothing, but none of that was down to the ecu itself, although the greater functionality such as being able to control shift lights, cooling fans etc was worth having

+ Reply to Thread