User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powder Coating Vs Base and Clear

Thanks

Powder Coating Vs Base and Clear

After having trouble finding some Lotus steels for the MK1's i know have a few, they are all different shades of silver though so the plan is to get them all blasted and either have them powdercoated or paint them myself with 1K base and clear laquer.
    As im tight for cash im thinking Base and clear, has anyone done theirs this way? if so is the finish as good or close to powdercoating them? or shall i just save up and get them all powdercoated.

Also whats the best tyre size to have on 6" Lotus steels with the car lowered 2 1/2" all round im thinking 195/60/13 and the best for the 5 1/2"Lotus ones 175s or 185s 70s or 60s ??

Any pics or help is greatly recieved

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Powder Coating Vs Base and Clear

I prefer the painted base and clear finish if the wheel is not too pitted. If they look like they have spent a few years at the bottom of a lake then power coat will probably be a better bet.

On the 5.5J 185/70/13 looks OK on standard ride hight or a 1" drop. I think the 60's don't look right unless the car is sitting in the weeds.

Racer Decade Plus User DarthVader's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Powder Coating Vs Base and Clear

Think once u've factored in having the rims sandblasted, etch primer, and paint etc powdercoating would probably be cheaper. Powdercoatings also tougher, the downside would probably be repairing chips

+ Reply to Thread