User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Piston options if rebore is required?

Thanks

Piston options if rebore is required?

Hi all, I had my current engine rebuilt with standard pistons and putting aside the mistake that I should have had a rebore done with new pistons when it was apart (as my engine builder suggested) I now feel with the engine smoking that I should get it done properly.

Obvious choice is forged pistons and rods but that will add £1000 to the bill, is there a supplier for over size standard pitons that could be used?

I will probably have it done properly, but just seeing what options are available.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Piston options if rebore is required?

Ford are generally good for oversize cast pistons eg. x-flows are available 0.030, 0.060 and 0.090" oversize. IMO unless you are shooting for max. output for racing etc. then only overbore to next available as if it goes 'pete tong' another overbore is still possible rather than having to find another good block!

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Piston options if rebore is required?

unless the bore was scored or VERY worn then a good de-glaze and new rings should have sorted it out.
    either not done well enough or not done at all ?
    another option - look for a low mile good SH engine and use that ? i always try to buy running car and break myself. your cost will also be off set by you then having spares from present engine.
    one more point - if exhaust was full of oil it will smoke for ages after new engine fitted...............

+ Reply to Thread