User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlas Fully Floating Locking Ring

Thanks

Atlas Fully Floating Locking Ring

Hi all, does anyone have an idiots guide to the process of torquing these up please?

Have searched and cannot find anything online.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Atlas Fully Floating Locking Ring

I had the same question so I asked Tom ( FOSSIE on here) when he had Fostek Engineering. This was his reply:

Hub locking rings - they really don't need to be tight - what I do is wind the nut up with DRY bearings (prior to grease until I just eliminate end float (bit like you do with a front hub really), mark it up with a pen, then once the grease is in you just put the nut on to your pen line... My guess is you've already greased them? In which case just try your best to get rid of any play. I know tapered bearings need a little preload, but these are going to get hot - I'd rather have a tiny bit of play than they seize. I guess the proper method would be to use a solid spacer between them... If you grab the wheel studs in your hand, you should be able to turn it over fairly easily... light to moderate hand pressure. If you have the grip the studs tight in order to turn the hub over, you've probably over-done the lock nut.

No need for loctite, in fact I'd make sure there was grease on the threads - less change of galling/sticking when hot. Just make sure you do the pinch bolt up properly. Little tip: grease the threads on the pinch bolt too, otherwise it kind of jumps, and will feel tight when it's not.

Oh, last tip, don't use any silicone on the o-ring carrier or o-ring - you'll never get them out!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to genRS2000 For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Good info that.
    Funnily enough I wondered the same thing, not that Im anywhere near building my axle yet though.

Thanks

Thank you, thats really good info!

My axle is already built, but changing the brake setup, and wanted to know how to set these after removing

+ Reply to Thread