User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2 litre pinto hp gain

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Wink Re: 2 litre pinto hp gain

Thanks for the reply Alladdin.

I'm looking for a fast road with plenty of get up and go(145-160bhp). The spec I am thinking of is as follows:

Kent FR30 or Kent GTS1
    Stage 2 or 3 head (maybe)
    Twin 45's
    Ashley 4-1 manifold

Any other ideas or improvements that you may suggest? Thanks again for all the help.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: 2 litre pinto hp gain

Thanks for the reply Alladdin.

I'm looking for a fast road with plenty of get up and go(145-160bhp). The spec I am thinking of is as follows:

Kent FR30 or Kent GTS1
    Stage 2 or 3 head (maybe)
    Twin 45's
    Ashley 4-1 manifold

Any other ideas or improvements that you may suggest?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

you wont get anywhere near 160bhp on those cams, 2.1 or not!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks Graham for the response, with the spec I suggested what kind of performance would you expect? I am looking for fast road with plenty of torque, from your experience would you provide some suggestions on what I could do to achieve 145-160bhp and plenty of torque please ?

Any help grand would be great, thanks in advance.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

the FR30 with the rest of the spec your talking about should give a very torquey engine which will still rev quite well, power will be in low 140's

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I think that would be enough power for me and is there any additional information you could add that would benefit or improve the engine. Thank you again for your advice Graham, you have been great help 👍🏽 cheers

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

if you have a choice of heads the better head will always give more power everywhere in the rev range

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    if you have a choice of heads the better head will always give more power everywhere in the rev range
    Yes well I am looking at the Stage 3 unleaded head from Burton Power, would this be a good choice or would you suggest a different head? Thanks

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Burton head is nothing special, but will do the job, but you will probably get a better head from vulcan engineering

https://www.facebook.com/pg/vulcanengines/posts/

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Burton head is nothing special, but will do the job, but you will probably get a better head from vulcan engineering

https://www.facebook.com/pg/vulcanengines/posts/
    I have just had a look on the above link for Vulcan although I am not on FB. It's good to see old school engineering values and heads hand ported in House which can be very time consuming in hours to finish the job. Most performance heads now have gone down the CNC route which I believe some of Burtons are.

Long may companies like Vulcan flourish in these very uncertain times and should I ever require a Pinto head modifiying in the future they'll be towards the top of my list.

Bodger

Thanks

Also the price between a burton and a vulcan one might be a little different

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Thoroughly recommend Vulcan
    I have a Vulcan Stage 1 head with a FR30 cam, on bike carbs.
    Steve recommended this for my build as its used as a weekend road car only.
    Very easy to drive and gave 153bhp on rollers last year. Plenty enough for how I use the car.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Anotjer thumbs up for Vulcan, Steve Curson is a pleasure to deal with and very open about his developments, no secrets like other builders, he did the head on my Pinto which made over 200Hp

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Erikmex For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dt36 View Post
    Thoroughly recommend Vulcan
    I have a Vulcan Stage 1 head with a FR30 cam, on bike carbs.
    Steve recommended this for my build as its used as a weekend road car only.
    Very easy to drive and gave 153bhp on rollers last year. Plenty enough for how I use the car.
    That's the kind of power I would be looking for, what is the car like driving on the road, is it fast and plenty of torque? What bike carbs have you got? I was thinking twin 45's.

Thanks for the responses to get a Vulcan head, has anyone got a price range that a Vulcan head may cost?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Prices are on their website.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aodhán View Post
    That's the kind of power I would be looking for, what is the car like driving on the road, is it fast and plenty of torque? What bike carbs have you got? I was thinking twin 45's.

Thanks for the responses to get a Vulcan head, has anyone got a price range that a Vulcan head may cost?
    Engine has very good manners on the road. Tickover/idle is also smooth and you do not need to feather the throttle at standstill in traffic.
    I drive around the Brecon Beacons area and the car pulls hard on winding country roads. If I want to have a bit of fun, the engine will also rev sharply, but maxs out around 6000rpm.
    Carbs are either Honda Fire blade or Blackbird with longer custom intakes for a bit more torque.
    Head is flowed with both valves standard and was around £1100 set up with cam included and supplied by Steve. Thus was around 3 years ago, so probably a little more now.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Engine has very good manners on the road. Tickover/idle is also smooth and you do not need to feather the throttle at standstill in traffic.
    I drive around the Brecon Beacons area and the car pulls hard on winding country roads. If I want to have a bit of fun, the engine will also rev sharply, but maxs out around 6000rpm.
    Carbs are either Honda Fire blade or Blackbird with longer custom intakes for a bit more torque.
    Head is flowed with both valves standard and was around £1100 set up with cam included and supplied by Steve. Thus was around 3 years ago, so probably a little more now.
    That's sounds exactly what I'm looking for indeed, that's brilliant thanks for this advice and help. Lastly what would the power range be like on the bike carbs compared to twin 45s? As I'm near sure I seen someone say before that the twin 45s are much better, any clarity on that by any chance or is it just people's preference?

Also who did you purchase the bike carbs from and what would the price be for such a setup?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aodhán View Post
    That's sounds exactly what I'm looking for indeed, that's brilliant thanks for this advice and help. Lastly what would the power range be like on the bike carbs compared to twin 45s? As I'm near sure I seen someone say before that the twin 45s are much better, any clarity on that by any chance or is it just people's preference?

Also who did you purchase the bike carbs from and what would the price be for such a setup?
    I've never run this engine on 45s, so couldn't give you a personal comparison. However, my bike carbs were initiatially a pain to set up. Bought them off a local guy who had them on a Manta.
    Manifold and trumpets were from DanST Engineering. He is very helpful and would be able to supply everything for you, if that's the route you decide on.
    What I do find with these carbs is that the engine is very sharp on snap throttle.
    If I had the money and was doing it all from scratch again, I would like to go down the route of throttle bodies. Probably Jenvey or Omex.
    I'm not against 45s, as I've had them on other cars and they are really sweet when set up properly. I only went for bike carbs at the time as they were the cheapest option, where I had a budget to stick to.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I've never run this engine on 45s, so couldn't give you a personal comparison. However, my bike carbs were initiatially a pain to set up. Bought them off a local guy who had them on a Manta.
    Manifold and trumpets were from DanST Engineering. He is very helpful and would be able to supply everything for you, if that's the route you decide on.
    What I do find with these carbs is that the engine is very sharp on snap throttle.
    If I had the money and was doing it all from scratch again, I would like to go down the route of throttle bodies. Probably Jenvey or Omex.
    I'm not against 45s, as I've had them on other cars and they are really sweet when set up properly. I only went for bike carbs at the time as they were the cheapest option, where I had a budget to stick to.
    Yes I understand , that's brilliant thanks for all this help. I have been in contact with Steve @Vulcan and think I'll be going for FR30 Cam stage 2 head with 45s or FR32 Cam Stage 3 head with 45s. So just weighing up my options which setup to chose? Hmm...

Thanks again for everyone's help, this is truly a great wee forum and I'm glad I joined 

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Aodhán For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We used to skim early blade heads 1mm on exhaust side down to zero on inlet, gave a good increase with flowed head without getting into piston/valve clearance issues, heads have dowels anyway and there's enough space round the studs.
    They'll make 140+hp with a decent system like this, lost count of how many we did (to the point we kept early and late heads in stock ready to go) but never had a failure

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Eh! none of that makes sense, what did you skim exactly??

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I think he means they milled of the cylinder head face at an angle, to get a better angle on the inlet.

Thanks

The cheap(ish) option is to fit an injection head with a thinner head gasket then consider what cam you need and what carbs to use.
    Bike carbs are a good option

+ Reply to Thread