User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bubble positioning

Pit Crew

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Bubble positioning

Just starting to fit my rear steel bubbles (promise to do a write up when finished). No problems with getting the height position by using the swage llines, but finding it difficult to place fore-aft.

Is there any measurement I can use to place the arches fore/aft, either off the door jam or rear of car?

Also as I have removed the axle, is it safe to assume that the centre of the arch is on the bump stop platforms, if that is what my arrow is pointing to here

Last edited by dobuy; 17-11-2008 at 17:09.

www.gulfpetrolheads.com

Pit Crew

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Bubble positioning

Better get my begging mat out, any thoughts before I go and just guess a position ??

www.gulfpetrolheads.com

tuk and poke me Decade Plus User mogsmex's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

No Idea,

I would drop a pm to Gary (retromotorsport), he's a helpful chap and has done this a "couple" of times

All I got for christmas was a sweater, I really wanted a moaner or a screamer......

Thanks

If you can, fit the axle back on and put a wheel on. Line up the swage lines and centre the wheel in the gap. Try and get the wheel roughly at the right ride height first.

Pit Crew

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Unfortunately I do not have all the necessary hardware to put the axle on, but I have had a play with it today and cut a big hole in what looks like the right place, I have about 2 cms wiggle room at the moment, so will have another look tomorrow and then go for it.

www.gulfpetrolheads.com

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

as the cars upside down, lay your axle in the there and put some wheels on there, the place the arch on and wiggle to best fit, with the front of the wheel being closer to the arch, look at a few side on pics and you'll see what i mean.

Due to the tollerances its a bit hit and miss giving a measurememnt, and i've never had a pair of arches that when outer lip to outer are placed together, meet all the way round, one always has a wider opening.

Dont just rely on the bumpstops, as they can be up to 1/2 inch out. the only accurate place to measure from is the front leaf spring hanger to check the axle is equal

Pit Crew

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Thanks Gary, I have managed to get them into a position that I think will work, based on the old arches, photos of the car with its wheels on and the fit of the panels. Hopefully it will all work out OK and yes I know hope is not the best criteria for accuracy

www.gulfpetrolheads.com

+ Reply to Thread