User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Cortina MK3 2.8TT

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Cortina MK3 2.8TT

Just read through all of this since Page 1! What a fantastic build. Lots of thought and engineering to go into everything. It's quite amazing what people can accomplish on their own. Mk3 looking good, love that green colour with the brown interior. I notice you stuck a 302 in there. Very nice. Are they hard to find over in Scandinavia? There are many of them here, no shortage at all. My biggest problem is always locating x-flow parts.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

This thread is great! I'm going to be putting a 2.8 into my mk3

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Ok, it's been long time from last post and stuff has happened. I will make short summary what I have done and what's the current situation with the car.

Last pics did show some front control arm fabrication, they are finished and all painted and also the front subframe has been blasted and repainted after some modifications. Did also put new steering rack because the old one was leaking and didn't find correct repair kit for it.

I did redo all the car wiring using local made PDM style distribution boxes, made by SPLeinonen. Basically I have one master unit under the dash and then there is two slave units, one in front and one in the trunk (these talk via can interface). They do replace mostly all the fuses and relays, I only have couple bigger fuses at the battery for the boxes, power steering, brake booster, water pump pwm module and starter solenoid. Here is couple pictures from wiring the car which was a mess time to time Engine management is Maxxecu Pro.

Also did wire in couple speed sensors, one in front and one in the rear end (just needed to add reluctor ring for that lock unit). At the same time I did change gear ratio from 3.54 to 4.88.

Some of the first tests with the wiring, luckily all went pretty straight forward regardles the amount of sensors etc.

I did put an std block and head engine together and it was already in the car when I did find out I was leaking coolant somewhere (first time pouring fluids in). Problem was finally that I had ported some of the intake ports too much and water was leaking to the intake ports I was little confused when I saw water dripling down from itb's on to the intake manifold and behold there was water over the butterfly already

So after this I decided to make the real engine straight away. So Dart SHP block and RHS aluminium cylinder heads etc. First thing was to make some headers from 48.3x1.6mm stainless tubing. It was very tricky due some space limits between the engine and chassis (+starter motor, steering shaft and so on). But they came out pretty good, we did spend alot time with my friend fabricating these and welding them (back purged also). Lastly they went to get some coating on them (inside and out) with Cerakote. They also have 8x egt sensors welded right next to the heads.

Only way to get the engine installed, is with headers and clutch bell already on the engine.

Next up was the get the engine bay painted after couple modifications to the rails etc.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sultzi For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Let's hope the pictures will start to work, now they seem to be not

Then some engine building. Due some wrong information on piston manufacturers site, compression ratio is only around +13:1.

And finally time to put it where it belongs.

Exhaust is made from 3" stainless with x-pipe and Spintech "mufflers" (yes, they are loud)

Some oil pressure priming before closing the engine with freshly painted valve covers.

Needed to print mounting plate for the air filter, this is just prototype made from PETG which isn't good for all the heat. And runout of filament around 80% done after 3days, that was fun So made plate from steel for the filter to mount. And this is what the engine bay looks finished pretty much, I do like it afterall that filter blocks all that itb goodness..

Back on it's wheels and outside from the garage to get it washed after couple years. Looking nice still

Then couple short videos, first one is from the startup only with headers so it was little bit loud
    https://youtu.be/OqRsdwkHsHs

This second one is just idling finally out the garage ready for some testing and tuning.
    https://youtu.be/JVRoR-2p8VQ

I did drive with the car around 200-300km this year, but due some transmission problems I didn't have time to dyno the car. Basically the transmission (Quaife 69G, brand new, just unused from 2013) had wrong shifter drum (for 2 overdrives, this box only has one) so the gears where not in order. So first was actually third, and second is the first. Third is second and fourth is fifth. Fifth is fourth and six is six. I did manage to drive it after I memorized the order At the moment the box is at Quaife, they did confirm that is was their mistake from the pictures I did send them (also from the sealed tag to confirm I haven't opened the box earlier). Here is couple pics inside the tranny, that front part of the shifter drum is the wrong part for this box. I was pretty upset at the time, when you pay this much money for gearbox and then they clearly been slacking with quality control on the assembly line. But they are fixing the mistake, that's the most important thing.

So the car is sitting and waiting at the moment, so probably next spring is the dyno time and we will see what it does really.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sultzi For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Nice work on the exhausts !

When I had mine made when I was supercharged, I had them done in 2" which was an absolute nightmare on the drivers side as the starter motor was down there too, as well as the steering.
    Just use regular cast iron manifolds now for turbos.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Thanks

Although if transmissions are an issue....Maxxecu can run the 7 speed BMW DCT directly and boxes themselves are fairy cheap, standard clutches can take 700hp or so too.
    Bit of a bargain really.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Yeah, those bmw dct:s have come pretty popular box at the moment due maxxecu been able to control those. But I'm not so into those myself.

Are you guys able to see pictures? I still don't see them myself, just keeps loading like crazy..

Thanks

No pictures, only the two video links to Youtube.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Previous pictures were still working when I started to write these updates, now they don't seem to work either, strange.

Would be nice to be able to edit those posts.

Pictures do work other forums, so problem shouldn't be my host either.
    Last edited by Sultzi; 21-11-2020 at 23:21.

Thanks

Certainly all the pictures on page 8 are working for me

I don't see any pictures on page 9.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sultzi View Post
    Let's hope the pictures will start to work, now they seem to be not

Then some engine building. Due some wrong information on piston manufacturers site, compression ratio is only around +13:1.
    Some forums limit the amount of pictures in each post ? Actually I just got that error lol....says limit is 50. with my quote and copied links I tried 65.
    Edited down

If I quote your pic, I can see the picture links, I'll copy n paste the first batch here see if that makes any difference.

Spanner Monkey Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Stunning built and sounds even better than it looks, great job

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Yeah, it did say to me that there was too many pictures (max 50) so I then splitted it in half and made two different posts. Maybe there is now some strange problem due to that.

I don't even see page 8 pictures myself anymore.

Thanks donnie!
    Last edited by Sultzi; 22-11-2020 at 09:01.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

At the moment you can go and check the pictures at oldskoolford forums, they do work there nicely: Click here

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Cortina MK3 2.8TT

Looks great, sounds great and those manifolds (headers) are stunning.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Good to see you back Sultzi

Your headers are a work of art!

I bought a set of AT throttle bodies after seeing pictures of yours
    Last edited by Mark V8; 23-11-2020 at 22:05.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Looks great, sounds great and those manifolds (headers) are stunning.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    They came out pretty good, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mark V8 View Post
    Good to see you back Sultzi

Your headers are a work of art!

I bought a set of AT throttle bodies after seeing pictures of yours
    Yeah, been long time since last update and now finally when got the car back running I thought this would be great time to show the progress!

Thank you also, they did take some time to make and good that I have a friend how know how to weld so much better than me

Good to hear, what engine they are going? I did send out one of my bodies two times back to AT because they had some machining chips or something between the shaft and body making it not to move freely. They probably did think I'm mad and dickhead when I sent it back after their first try fixing it. And also somebody from the assembly did think that I don't know anything about cars and was pretty upset seeing one of the bodies twice there for the same reason But it was so clear, you could feel it from the shaft that there is something still making it "stiff". But credit for them for not charging me anything (twice shipping there and back to Finland and fixing the problem finally on the second go), regardless to that they really wanted to (mostly the production side of them).
    Last edited by Sultzi; 24-11-2020 at 19:53.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

My throttle bodies are on a stroked SBF V8 fitted to a 1989 Sierra - I have a build thread on here somewhere but haven't updated it as my car seems a bit too new...

I gave up on TIG welding after making my first set of headers an sold the welder as was not happy with my work I can't imagine the hours that must have gone into getting yours to fit that nice

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Hi.

This thing is now been driven little bit, still needs to try out shift cut and throttle blips with the quaife transmission. But pretty fun thing to drive, expesially over 5500rpm

Vid from dyno: https://youtu.be/6QusQE4j6T4

+ Reply to Thread