User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting with Rattle cans

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Painting with Rattle cans

More help is required, as I busily try and learn some more skills.

I am trying to paint a new wing, with rattle cans, (i can here chuckles of laughter from the pros already )

Anyway after a couple of coats i'm noticing that i;m getting distinct lines on my finish (light and dark), the solvent seems to be blowing the paint away at the edges of the spray, (if that makes any sense at all). Am i holding the can too close, or am i just a painting numpty

Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Re: Painting with Rattle cans

It's not very good weather for painting at the mo anyway.
    If you are using rattle cans because of lack of compressor and or money, you would be better using 2k aerosols.
    Autopaint in St Helens will do them in any colour and will post them to you. I'm sure there are others too.
    You will get a much better finish, not least because they have proper fan nozzles on them, not the cone nozzles as on Halfords cans. TBH, you will really struggle to get a good finish with Halfords rattle cans anyway.
    If you do use 2k make sure you wear a proper respirator, it is nasty stuff (which is why it is being phased out)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

I was just going to give the new wings a coat so it didn't look quite so rat like. I have a feeling that i'm going to have to drag it into work and get the finishers to give the whole car a coat of paint over a weekend.

Thanks

I had some spare 2k and got my local paint place to put some in a rattle can. Works a treat for bottoms of doors and such. Wouldn't do a whole panel with it though. Maybe you can flat off the top coat before you laquer it. Someone said that one way. Never tried it.

I'm not sure if 2k will react badly to the normal can stuff. I had a bloody nightmare with it once. Had to use bar coat primer. Don't paint outside in this weather. It's crap and the paint will dull
    I'm going to pull your head off because i don't like your head!

I support TS Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

from my own experiance i would say this. dont try to spray like you have a spray gun, ie long lines, i found a rapid to fro movement was better, get it close and move fast to keep it wet. go left / right then up/down to avoid stripes. put on loads then cut and polish later, its thin from cans so .... put on loads

get a cheap compressor and a "touch up gun " or similar

+ Reply to Thread