Hi all, first post here so please be gentle!!!

Right so i'll explain the situation:
I am a hobbyist classic car restorer and modifier, I have built 15+ engines and restored a good few cars, mostly British classics.

I am now looking at fitting a "Fun" and heavily tuned engine (1.4/1.6 Zetec SE) in an MG Midget as a track / hillclimb / fast road car.

However, I have no experience with Zetec's - and I am getting a VAST amount of various and conflicting info from most of my interweb searches, so thought I should actually join up and ask.

My intention is to use either a 1.4 or 1.6 alloy-blocked Zetec SE (Depending on the regs of my chosen race series) and run it on Dellorto or Weber carbs.
That bit is fairly easy, suitable manifold, pair of DCOE's and bungs for the injector ports, port the head. Ignition via megajolt, probably.
I want to run 280-300deg cams and a lightened flywheel, so will idle rather high but meh.

OK where I am confused is gearbox choices, 'm seeing type-9, mx5, rx8, i'm sure there were more.

I have a limited budget, so really want a reasonably priced box/bellhousing/propshaft combo thats going to work for me but not cost thousands.
For example, an alloy bellhousing + Type-9 will be about £400. But an MX5 box and bellhousing is like £50, so i dont care if its stuffed after a year's abuse - but what will fit?
Fitment is the other grey area, what fits to a stock zetec SE? (has the upper-left starter) , what needs a different clutch plate, spigot bearing etc?

Sorry for the mind-dump, hopefully you can see what I'm trying to acheive!!