User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: historic mot exemption

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

historic mot exemption

looks promising - is this the one discussed recently or is there another threat ?

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/n...-s-good-news-1

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: historic mot exemption

From what i read of this, may be wrong but if heavily modified (over the points) then you will need an MOT and nothing more. But it will still qualify for free tax ??

opinions welcome as it confuses me. I am i nthe modified historic part of this so it could be good news....

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

From what i read of this, may be wrong but if heavily modified (over the points) then you will need an MOT and nothing more. But it will still qualify for free tax ??

opinions welcome as it confuses me. I am i nthe modified historic part of this so it could be good news....

Bodger

Thanks

But if you don't meet the criteria for historic due to being modified you can lose your registration number, but how they are going to police it....I don't know.

I don't really think cars should be exempt from MOT's, it might only be once a year but some people never check there cars over.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

"Vehicles that have been modified in the last 30 years will not be eligible to be registered as a VHI, but will simply need to be MOT'd each year, as they are currently."

As i read this, for my situation. I suspect i will not make the points system so need to declare my car as non historic and MOT and pay for tax ? But if the mods were done over 30 years ago then i am ok. So any parts fitted are from cars before 1987 etc then it will be difficult to prove they were not fitted prior to 1987.

Then reading further better brakes and fuel injection etc make the car safer and more environmentally friendly will be acceptaed as well ?

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Bodger

Thanks

i think what it means if your upgrades are period you should be ok. after all it dose say its self declaration so mods like twin 40s, capri struts ect
    At least we stole the show...

Mechanic

Thanks

Just had a read through the link, there's loop holes like, if the modification is to improve saftey, so does this mean my big 4 pot brakes that help me stop quicker, rear disc conversion to help me stop quicker, roll cage just in case and 6 point harness to hold me in the seat when I'm stopping quickly don't count against?
    Last edited by Warrior; 22-12-2017 at 17:44.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I'm convinced you lot read different documents to everyone else

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

The problem I've got with this is that it doesn't actually say anywhere that failing to be classed as VHI also makes the car taxable. Reading between the lines it sounds like it could, but all of the documentation only make mention to the MOT exemption, not Tax exemption.

I suspect we'll only see once we hit that date next year and the first cars start to go through the new process.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
    I'm convinced you lot read different documents to everyone else
    feel free to add in as i am very lost in all this, I assume your cars will be affected as well. Before the above link it was doom but this report seems optimistic.

If i have to i will take my car off historic status if it means keeping it's reg but the real docs seem to say this won't be enough and anything that doesn't score the right points will be a "Q". My cars reg's are still transferable so i will look into doing this before they nick it off me and give me a "Q".

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Its pretty much covered in the link at the start of the thread, I dont know how else to make it any clearer.

Maybe a bit of background would make it clearer. It was announced originally by the DFT that the 15% power to weight increase was going to be the marker of substantially modified and the original draft mentioned possibly using the DVLA's points system to determine modified cars also. The FBHVC intervened and that has now been decided not the way to go. The new criteria is described exactly in the link report. It doesn't mention brake upgrades roll cages seat belts or any other such thing. Its quite specific.

Secondly, this has nothing to do with car tax. If your vehicle is eligible for free car tax now(40 years old) it will still be after May 2018. This was never about car tax. Its about having no MoT or taking a MoT if your car is modified beyond their listed criteria.

Thirdly. Like the 8 points thing all this VHI/non VHI is self declaration. But should/if/maybe you got caught and you've declared your car is a VHI when you've clearly fitted a 4 link instead of the original sprung axle for example, then there are quite hefty possible fines.

And finally: Although the 8 points things is nothing to do with this as such, this system still exists. So your vehicle (as in any vehicle not just old ones) must also still legally comply with that criteria as it did before. So if you've recently chopped your roof, removed your bulkhead, spaceframed it or turned it into a pickup etc etc etc then its still technically BIVA test. But as I said this also is self declaration yada yada.

Yes my own vehicle- Ford Corsair falls into Substantially Modified group on two accounts. Steering rack conversion and non family engine, as I have a Zetec- its not related to the Pre Xflow no matter how you try and wasn't an option when the car was built. However I dont fall into radically modified(points)either as I have enough points on the other items (only just).

+ Reply to Thread