User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Downsides to using a full race head with milder cam and smaller carbs?

Bodger

Thanks

Downsides to using a full race head with milder cam and smaller carbs?

What would be the downsides /side affects of running a 200+ bhp pinto race head on the road with a milder cam and 45's instead of the 48's that were on it? I acquired the head for a reasonable price and wanted to use it on a fast road 2.1 and keep it driveable in traffic etc. Would the fact it can flow a lot of air, slow down airspeed at low rpm with the milder cam making it boggy in traffic and idle badly???

My Race Car
    Thanks

Re: Downsides to using a full race head with milder cam and smaller carbs?

Probably not at all, since you will be switching to 45s ( with probably 36 or 37/38 mm chokes ) and a milder profile, you will be restricting the flow anyway in my opinion.
    By the way, what is the specs of your full race head ? How large are the port runners ? As far as I know Pinto heads does respond well to the heavily enlarged port runners in any spec. ( gas speed )

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

in, most cases it will be fine, although exact results can depend on exactly how the head is ported, reason i say that is you can port the head is such a way that it favors air flow at really high lift at the expense of low lift, if thats the case it wont work so well with a mild cam, but that wont be the case with the vast majority of heads

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1903 View Post
    Probably not at all, since you will be switching to 45s ( with probably 36 or 37/38 mm chokes ) and a milder profile, you will be restricting the flow anyway in my opinion.
    By the way, what is the specs of your full race head ? How large are the port runners ? As far as I know Pinto heads does respond well to the heavily enlarged port runners in any spec. ( gas speed )
    In my last sentence, I meant to say that Pinto heads does NOT respond well ......

+ Reply to Thread