+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: It's a PINTO!

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: It's a PINTO!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    cool, glad thinks are looking up for you
    Good to hear from you Graham! Yes, things are really looking up right now. Even with all the stress of the impending move to Australia, I really couldn't be happier right now. Well, I actually could be a little happier if I could find a nice used set of forged pistons for the Pinto. If anyone happens to have a set they want to send across I am looking for 91.5mm flat top or dished. Since the 2.0L was discontinued here in 1974 they are not easy to find. Thanks for your help guys.
    Welcome to Turbosport University

Thanks

there are lots available new. I would never use a used piston. you just can't count on it to be good and not wreck your motor.
    08 ford mustang 4.0l v6 4.10 gears5 speed auto vortech sc 16psi intercooled custom intake/meth inj.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampant racing View Post
    there are lots available new. I would never use a used piston. you just can't count on it to be good and not wreck your motor.
    Good point. Looking at going another route with the block and looking at having it sleeved to bring it back to original bore size. Since it's not a 205 or 202 block I don't feel comfortable going beyond .03" overbore and it is already there so next would be .040" or sleeves.

Thanks

is there any bore taper with the .030" bore you have now? if not then a hone will be sufficient and keep the bore you have. ever price having four sleeves installed?
    08 ford mustang 4.0l v6 4.10 gears5 speed auto vortech sc 16psi intercooled custom intake/meth inj.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

subject to waterways not being excessivly corroded an early block will be fine at +.040.

think about it, going from +30 to + 40 is removing a mere 5 thousandths of an inch more from the cylinder walls.

although not always successfull here in the uk pinto blocks were being bored to 93mm years before the 205 block appeared

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

subject to waterways not being excessivly corroded an early block will be fine at +.040.

think about it, going from +30 to + 40 is removing a mere 5 thousandths of an inch more from the cylinder walls.

although not always successfull, here in the uk pinto blocks were being bored to 93mm years before the 205 block appeared

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

as far as a 205 goes there is a myth its massively stronger because contains a lot more material, one engine builder local to me recons he can tell a 20 from a 205 by just picking them up, such is the weight difference, BS i say, ive weighed both, the difference is 2kgs and most of that is in the main caps! which add nothing to the bore thickness

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks for the input gentlemen. The block has been at the machine shop for a very long time and all they were able to get done was the line hone and ARP main studs installed. I amgoing to pick it up next week and get it to a buddy who does nothing but Pinto engines. He said the same as Graham, that it will probably just need the cylinder walls honed. If not then it will go to .040" over and I will have to find pistons or have custom ones made. I am pushing for over 300bhp with the turbo so I need it to be strong. Actually hoping to hit 350BHP.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

So, can someone chime in and explane the difference between these 2 engine blocks? The blue one has a 1970 date code casting and the black one has a 1972 date code. The black one has extra ribbing that lines up with the headbolt holes. The black one is also standard bore so I am considering having this one built instead because I have the pistons for this one and the blue one I would have to come up with another $600 or more for new pistons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i dont think ive ever seen a block which is as old or looks like the blue one, it looks like ford for some reason cast in a bit more rigidity into the later blocks. from your perspective i see no down side of using the black one, it may even be of benefit

My 1st Project
    Thanks

i dont think ive ever seen a block which is as old or looks like the blue one, it looks like ford for some reason cast in a bit more rigidity into the later blocks. from your perspective i see no down side of using the black one, it may even be of benefit
    Thanks Graham. I figured that either you or Gustaf would know the difference between the 2 blocks. I just figured that all 2.0 blocks were the same until you started to get to the "200","202", and "205" blocks. Is there a thread somewhere that explains the differences between the different blocks? The funny thing is I have 2 like the blue one. Same casting numbers on both blocks. The blue one came out of a 1972 Pinto and the black one out of a 1973 Pinto. I think I am going to go with the black one for the build and keep the blue one as a spare.

World Champion Decade Plus User caprimentle's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

also not seen a block like your blue one. this is my knowledge of blocks, 1.6 is shorter and smaller bore than 2.0. 205 has thicker walls, 202 has the same thicker walls but a slightly taller block I believe, 200 block has thicker walls still and extra webbing I believe, 185 is smaller bore but same stroke and 165 is an even smaller bore but still the same stroke.

welcome back btw, nice to hear from you again.
    Last edited by caprimentle; 01-12-2014 at 21:15.
    its not dead till it's buried!

T.I.T engineering. "Feel the power!"

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Just for comparison, here's a 200 block from a 4x4 Cossie if it helps:

P1040603-.JPG

P1040604-.JPG

... and a 205 based block from a late model injected Sierra:

part7-pic4.jpg

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Oh, and like the others above have said, I'd also go for the black block - all other things being equal, of course.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Here's the 200 block from the other side, to compare like-for-like with your two blocks:

P1040705-.JPG

Externally, your second (black) block is much more similar than the first, earlier one - although like the 205 block, the 200 derivative also has thicker walls and mounting flange for the sump as well. Being a turbo it also gets the oil squirters for the underside of the pistons too. Wonder if you could retrofit them to yours?
    Last edited by MegatronUK; 02-12-2014 at 00:36.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Awesome response guys! That's the kind of information that helps everyone understand just a little more about these engines. So the decision to build the Black block has been made. I want to eventually put a cossie head on this so I need it to be stout and the extra ribbing like your english versions will be better in the long run. Here is the funny part, a good friend that is a die hard Pinto (the car) fan and has been building these for years said he doesn't remember ever seeing one like the black block. All the blocks he has, and he has quite a few, are like the Blue one. I have another block like the blue one as well. When did Ford start casting the Blocks with the "202, 200 and 205" in the side of the block? Is it possible that this is one of those blocks just without the identifying numbers?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

ford didnt start casting 205 etc into the block until the sierra came along, a 2.0 block is not a 205 without the 205, there are other differences such as main bearing caps, the mounting pads which stick out the block near the fuel pump mount differ too, pace dry sump kits use different pump mounts 2.0 to 205

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Nice job

My 1st Project
    Thanks

ford didnt start casting 205 etc into the block until the sierra came along, a 2.0 block is not a 205 without the 205, there are other differences such as main bearing caps, the mounting pads which stick out the block near the fuel pump mount differ too, pace dry sump kits use different pump mounts 2.0 to 205
    Thanks Graham, one major difference I spotted was the turbo oil return boss. Non existent on all my blocks. It would be so much easier if I could just have a cossie sent over, even if it needed a rebuild. Ultimately, that's what I would want in my Pinto.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

one major difference I spotted was the turbo oil return boss

i know the boss you mean, but i dont know why its actually there, its not a turbo oil return that goes back to the sump

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Merry Christmas To all my TS mates! May you and your families have a Blessed Holiday season!

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Osiyo59 View Post
    I have now finally convinced my wife to move out of the States and down to Australia.
    What's the attraction with Au (not knocking it; just curious)?

A couple of things to note: (1) Au fuel is cited by Research Octane Number (RON), whereas California fuel is (MON+RON)/2. MON is about 8-12 points lower than RON, so the fuel is barely any better than you are using in Cal. (2) Modifying cars in Au is subject to much stricter regulations than you are probably used to. Don't be surprised if you have some trouble getting the Pinto licensed, or keeping it licensed if you modify it afterward. Insurance companies expect your to keep them well informed of the state of your car, including any and all modifications. Some won't touch it if it is modified at all, so check out Shannons and Lumley Specials Vehicles, which are both mod-friendly.

Good luck with the move.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flighter View Post
    What's the attraction with Au (not knocking it; just curious)?

A couple of things to note: (1) Au fuel is cited by Research Octane Number (RON), whereas California fuel is (MON+RON)/2. MON is about 8-12 points lower than RON, so the fuel is barely any better than you are using in Cal. (2) Modifying cars in Au is subject to much stricter regulations than you are probably used to. Don't be surprised if you have some trouble getting the Pinto licensed, or keeping it licensed if you modify it afterward. Insurance companies expect your to keep them well informed of the state of your car, including any and all modifications. Some won't touch it if it is modified at all, so check out Shannons and Lumley Specials Vehicles, which are both mod-friendly.

Good luck with the move.
    Thanks for the info Flighter I am finding that what you say is true about modified cars in Oz. The Pinto shouldn't be to much of an issue when it gets there. The engine will be a stock carbed N/A 2.0 I will add the EFI and turbo once I find out what I need for the Engineers certification. Only mods right now are safety upgrades such as 4 wheel disc brakes. I have a 1966 F100 that was going to be heavily modified as well and I have to put it back to stock form to get it in. I am just crating up all the bits including the new engine and gearbox and taking it with me. Thanks for the info on the insurance companies, I'm definitely gonna need that.

The attraction to Oz iz a better quality of life for my family. A much better education system for my daughter and my best friend and his family are natives. So are you in Oz or the UK?

By the way, here is the new engine for the F100;
    Last edited by Osiyo59; 31-12-2014 at 02:14.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

thanks and i hope 2015 turns out top be everything you could hope for

My 1st Project
    Thanks

thanks and i hope 2015 turns out top be everything you could hope for
    I do as well Graham. Hope yours is better than expected. Many difficult tasks ahead but it will be a great year!

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Looks like it's been about 10 months since I last posted and a very, very busy 10 months at that. Still no further along on the Pinto but I have a good excuse.Hoping to get back at iot soon. Until then I hope you guys are all doing well. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread