User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IB5 Gearbox Info Required - Mechanical rod to Cable IB5 Gearbox?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

IB5 Gearbox Info Required - Mechanical rod to Cable IB5 Gearbox?

Hi all,

I'm currently building a mk5 (1999) Fiesta Zetec S track car and looking for some advice/information regarding Ford's range of IB5 gearbox equipped cars.

I want to position the seat as low and as far back towards the B pillar as possible to lower the C of G but doing this is meaning that I'm struggling to get the standard mechanical linkage'd gearbox over and away from me into 1st gear.

As I have to buy another gearbox to be rebuilt I have been considering converting to a cable operated variant of the IB5.

Ideally I just want to be able to buy a gearbox and cable linkage selector - cut a hole in the bulkhead (free) and drill some new mounting holes in the cabin (also free) and continue to use my standard driveshafts and gearbox mounts etc. which I already own new or uprated versions of and not have to make anything custom (read expensive) but not sure if this is possible?

I believe the mk1 focus of the same era was a cable operated, sigma/zetec se engined iB5 gearbox and also the later mk6 fiesta zetec s was a cable operated ib5 gearbox mated to a sigma/zetec se with I believe a shared gear linkage to the ST150 variant of the same fiesta?
    If anyone with the knowledge can confirm the above and also tell me if there are any driveshaft fitment or gearbox mounting issues I'm going to run into with them or suggest any other solutions then please post below.

Cheers, Ben

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: IB5 Gearbox Info Required - Mechanical rod to Cable IB5 Gearbox?

ive mixed and match a lot of IB5/bc gearbox casings and internals. ive never come across any differences in out put shafts. the only issue i can see is some some installations the box needs 4 mounting holes on the front of the main middle section of casing, not all casings have them

+ Reply to Thread