User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EFI Pinto Dizzy

My 1st Project
    Thanks

EFI Pinto Dizzy

When converting from a carb to EFI, The distributer is different. Are there any aftermarket Distributers available for the EFI Pinto? If so, does anyonee have the manufacturer and part number? Or if some one has one to spare, let me know. I have a factory Ford one but I don't think it is any good.

Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Re: EFI Pinto Dizzy

If you contact Bestek or H&H over here they may be able to help.
    They both do aftermarket distributors for Pinto engines

Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks Dave. I will look them up.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

What kind of EFI are you using?
    If its a combined ignition/fuel computer-controlled setup then you will need a distributor without mechanical and vacuum-advance as used in some EFI Pinto's.
    If that's what you have then I think I have 1 or 2 of those in my garage (somewhere ...).

Leon.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Hello Leon

It's a factory Ford 2.0 EFI from a Sierra or Granada (I Think) I am still trying to aquire the loom, ECU and another Throttle body as well. I will be running a turbo with this so I am still a little lost to what I need. I need a book called "Turbo Pintos for DUMMIES" Any assistance will be Greatly appreciated...

Rob

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Of coarse, after my last post I am doing a lot of reading on here and in other areas such as www.diyautotune.com and talking with a turbo guru friend of mine that I am cnsidering a megasquirt stand alone system. I read the post by wildo105e about his MS install and though I did not understand a lot of it I was facinated and decided to do a bit nore research into the system. I still want to get this runnining on the factory loom, ecu and dizzy for now but will put the pieces together with the MS when I add the Turbo into the mix. Does this make sense or am I just rambling?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

I get the impression that you are struggling to get the pinto EFI loom,and the response is slow. With that in mind,you'll end up going straight to an MS install as the EFI bits are getting rare. Are you wanting an ECU that caters for a lambda,or without?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sierra3dr For This Useful Post:

My 1st Project
    Thanks

As I am just getting into the tech aspect of EFI and turbos you'll please have to pardon an ignorant question. lambda?

Thanks

Lambda sensor = oxygen sensor, a sensor that measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust.

The Pinto EFI dizzys are available in two versions, with the TFI/ignition module attached (big grey dizzy cap, large black or grey box attached with 6-7 pins) or with it separate (brown dizzy cap, 3-pin socket for the hall sensor).

IMO you want the one without the TFI module attached. They are plentiful in Sweden at least.

The EEC-IV system on the US 2.3 Lima is very similar to the 2.0, I'm pretty sure you could use a 2.3 engine loom and only have to make minor adjustments. The engine will probably even run on a 2.3 ECU, not perfect but you need Megasquirt to do that :-)

Regards

Gustaf

12. The Following User Says Thank You to therealpinto For This Useful Post:

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Oh ok! We call 'em O2 sensors here. So the answer is Yes, I will need an ECU that caters to a lambda. I actully thought the EFI had nto have one to monitor efficiantly. Thanks gustaf. I have the the one with just the 3 pin socket for the hall sensor.

I do have a loom and ECU from a 2.3 Turbo and was wondering if it would work but the dizzy pn the 2.3 is the one with the big grey socket on the side with 6 pins. Plus, the drive shaft for the 2.3 dizzy is larger than the 2.0 I will try and post a couple picks to show what I am talking about. Now where did I put that camera?

Thanks

sorry Osiyo59,at least Gustaf had explained. The UK ecu's don't cater for 02 sensors,only in Europe. If Gustaf struggles in finding the needed loom,I can try and get the loom for you. Although the 2.3 loom that you have might work,just a matter of looking into the coloured wire arrangement and comparing 2.3 to the 2.0

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks m8! I have been doing a lot of research today on the MSII system and the more I read, the more I like the idea of a system I can fine tune to my specs. I have some time to get the required components together so I am definatly starting to lean in that direction. I will keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks

In Europe only Sweden and Switzerland got 2.0 Pintos with closed loop (lambda, O2-sensor), a quite complex system that I don't really recommend...

Megasquirt really is the way to go :-)

It would be no big drama to modify a 2.3 loom built for a dizzy with the TFI module attached, to work with a dizzy for a separate module. But probably not worth the hassle if you're thinking about Megasquirt. It can read the Hall sensor in your dizzy and fire a coil directly, no need for the TFI module.

Regards

Gustaf

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks Gustaf, I am pretty much decided on the Megasquirt. Like you said, Why go through the hassle of butchering a stock loom? Besides, with what it would cost me including shipping from the UK, I might as well put that toward the MS.

You really can teach an old dog new tricks

+ Reply to Thread