User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk1 6 clock restoration

Outside Berlin, formerly Newmarket Suffolk
    Thanks

Mk1 6 clock restoration

Hi All.

I have had a slew of RWD fords since my youth but never come across an issue like i have now hence my posting this.

I have a few parts i am restoring for a future planned (Unless SWMBO gets her way) project.

One is a 6 clock dash restoration back to stock (as stock as possible). Its only a 110mph version but still...I cannot believe how much these go for now!

Mine has seen better days having been stored wet and now rather rusty. I have stripped it and all of the gauges are rusty. I can take care of this (with hot citric acid) but not the function of the gauges.

Oil pressure is easy but the issue i have is the fuel, volts and temp gauges which use differing metals to move the needle. I have cleaned the rust (from the volt meter) but the winding material on one of the metal arms is corroded beyond use.

Can this be rewound? If so how and where is it connected?

If not can modern 52mm stepper motor gauges be retro fitted to the stock gauge face/binnacle?

Others must have come across this before?

I am cleaning them all and they are coming up great...They just dont work!

Cheers
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180110_091912.jpg Views:	75 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	82024Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180110_091900.jpg Views:	73 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	82025Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180110_091853.jpg Views:	74 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	82026

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Mk1 6 clock restoration

Try contacting speedy cables to see if they can help you.

Thanks

Thanks for that. I will bare them in mind but until i fail completely at DIY i want to try and do as much as i can myself. Its not i am on a super, super tight budget (Although its tight enough) but the sense of ownership knowing "I" (with help from forum friends) have fixed that is worth more than money to me.

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

They do look very badly corroded..
    Here's another one you could try.

http://www.reapautomotivedesign.com/

Thanks

Good news!

The citric acid bath has cleaned off 90% of the rust and with some care, extra cleaning and repair work i have three working gauges. Only the voltmeter is not working now.

Does anyone know how to bench test (without an engine or car present) the rev counter?

+ Reply to Thread