User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glowing manifolds

Bodger

Thanks

Glowing manifolds

I have an issue where my manifolds are glowing red. This is just letting the car idle and then free revving it to about 3,000 rpm for about 20 seconds or so once the engine is up to temp. Also when I switch it off I get a backfire through the exhaust.
    Engine is a 711m crossflow 1700 all steel stage 3 244 camshaft twin 40 Weber’s all new and just built compression ratio about 10.5:1
    The ignition timing is set at 14deg at idle and about 34deg at full advance so should be Ok. I had a wide-band Lambda checking the AFR and it was fluctuating between 14 and 15: 1 at idle blip the throttle and it goes rich briefly but settles back to around 13 or 14. So not particularly rich and certainly not lean. At this sort of rpm and throttle opening I guess it will not be progressing to mains yet so shouldn’t be an issue with mains chokes etc . Compression test resulted in about 180psi on each give or take a couple of psi (was done cold)
    The engine sounds fine throttle response free revving is Ok so I’m pretty stumped.
    Any ideas would be great.
    I did post this problem a year or so ago and thought I managed to resolve it with help here as I had the wrong Carbs but the project was put on hold and back on it now with New correct carbs and jetting that should be ok as a starting point.
    Chris
    Last edited by chris52; 14-01-2018 at 12:25.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Glowing manifolds

Glowing exhaust header usually means running lean.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

hold any engine with a tubular manifold at highish rpm for any length of time with no airflow and it will glow so you may noty qctuall have an issue

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Surprised you get a decent idle with AFR as lean as that. Anything the engine is doing whilst in a garage and not under any load will always be suspect / not truthful.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks Guys what AFR should the idle be at? On all the EFI engines with Lambda fitted it’s usually around 14.7:1 controlled by the ecu/Lambda
    Chris

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks Guys what AFR should the idle be at? On all the EFI engines with Lambda fitted it’s usually around 14.7:1 controlled by the ecu/Lambda
    Chris

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Carbs can't meter fuel accurately enough to match EFI - they are making ten's of micro adjustments to fuel and ignition timing per second. Carb idle hot would usually be sub 13:1 and cold anything down to 10:1 and could vary based on flywheel weight / ignition timing as it could be misfiring (6 stroking) and the flywheel / timing will keep it spinning over.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Glowing exhaust manifold is usually rich mixture and/or late ignition timing.
    What idle jet are you using?

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks for the help a simple 1/4 turn out of all the idle screws sorted the problem. No glowing manifolds and no popping through the exhaust on shut off. Will get it to the RR to be properly set up once I get it on the road and a bit of running in of the engine done. AFR on Idle now is fluctuating between 12 and 13:1.
    Cheers Chris

Bodger

Thanks

Generally this is caused by retarded ignition timing so try advancing it a few degrees to see if it helps, otherwise your cam timing could be retarded (inlet mixture entering exhaust on overlap)

Bodger

Thanks

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Glowing exhaust manifold is usually rich mixture and/or late ignition timing.
    What idle jet are you using?
    Spot on, to late (slow burning in the case of rich mixture) mixture. Add more advance by using a vacuum canister (or program more advance for the younger generation). Check mixture but with the extra advance it should be better.

As Graham also says, it will always glow after some time but it it's cherry red very fast, above.

+ Reply to Thread