User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk1 granada 2.0 v6 cologne

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Mk1 granada 2.0 v6 cologne

Hı all I am new to the forum ,and hopefully this topic is on the right section. ..

I own a 1975 ford granada with the 2.0 v6 cologne manual 4 speed ,I am starting to get the granada restored, and also need to go ahead and do something with the engine this is the reason for this thread ,I want to know what I can do to get some more power out of the 2.0 v6 cologne engine I am open to any ideas like turbo which it what i really want or upgrade carbs anything that you guys have experienced with ,a lot of you are going to say no need for all just get a bigger engine , well I thought about this has lots of ideas like 2.9 cosworth or a zetec but for now I want to know what I can to with this engine I have and keep matching number ...so if any one out there knows about these engines please give us some help the engine I have is standard but I think will need rebuilding anyway ... thankyou all

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Mk1 granada 2.0 v6 cologne

Never even heard of a 2.0 v6.

I know they did a 2.3 v6 cologne.

Ok I just googled it... Never knew they did a v6 2.0
    Last edited by rallyrob; 01-02-2018 at 00:06.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

You can do anything your mind and budget allows really...

But if you want more power...but insist on retaining the original engine ( why ? ) then it does reduce your options.

But no reason you couldnt turbocharge it, or do the usual head/cam type work....what the returns might be for the £££/effort, n/a tuning is rarely great value vs boost depending on how much power you want.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

the engine is tunable, BUT the cologne V6 doesnt respond well to tuning without resorting to forced induction, so by far the best thing you can do is fit a bigger one, stepping up to a 2.8 will give more power and a lot more torque

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

It's true that tuning this engine is not going to make a lot of power but i don't want and I don't expect a lot from it ,I want ideas how I could turbo it with carburetor I have only seen one example at youtube a taunus with the same engine with t3 turbo running about 170!!bhp but all I know about this car is it's a t3 1.3 bar megasquirt 4wd Sierra cosworth intercooler I don't have any info of the engine internals and rest ...

Thanks

Turbocharged cars used carbs for many many years.....because fuel injection was not common or readily available ( or cost effective )

Again, you can do whatever your budget ( and knowledge ) allows here.

If you want to use a carb, just use a carb. Whether you select and adapt a n/a carb ( some lend themselves better than others ), or spend money and buy a dedicated boost ready carb ( most likely from the US ) etc etc
    There will be a myriad of options.

As to what you do with engine internals...again entirely up to you. You could easily throw a little boost at the standard engine and see how it goes, or start throwing money at it with lots of custom parts. Probably not necessary at all though
    Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-02-2018 at 17:03.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Thanks

The biggest limitations will be that when running a carb and standard(ish) ignition you will not have as much control over fuelling and ignition, meaning you need bigger safety margins not do detonate holes in the pistons.

The stock engine internals will probably take at least 0,5 bar of boost (speaking from experience of other Colognes), even with simple engine management (dizzy and carb) but that will probably "only" take you to around 140 bhp. With mapped ignition (use a 2.8 EFI dizzy and an aftermarket ECU) you could probably raise boost a good deal.

I do think that the small valves, ports and intake of the 2.0 will limit top power, it might give a nice torque but you also run the risk of cracking the pistons as you try to increase boost to compensate.

By all means, go ahead and try it if you want to. But the matching number engine may well end up as a lesson in what kind of carnage a boosted engine can result in.

The thing is, when you have a bolt-in option (2.8) that gives around 40-50 bhp more in stock form, that is the better option for turbo charging, generally. Boosted power is like a percentage of non boosted power. Y times 90 hp is always less than the same Y times 150 horsepower :-)

Gustaf

+ Reply to Thread