User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My mk2 Rally car - Duratec power

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Re: My mk2 Rally car - Duratec power

Jon, you running comp struts? ... because normally dropping the car 10mm will increase understeer, as the TCA's go flatter so less neg cam is applied in roll, whereas with comp struts you increased caster when dropping so negating the loss of roll neg camber gain, the caster adding neg and positive camber where you want it , in the corners not on the straights...

if you do back to back stages try winding as much castor on as you can when doing the stage the 2nd time and see what happens ... of course this is just between me and you

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Thanks all

Gary, we are running compression struts and no anti-rollbar. It was set to 3 degrees caster and 1.5 degrees neg camber before we dropped the front. We didn't measure it afterwards though.

We set the initial spring heights based on trying to get the corner weights sorted. We had it pretty much even left to right, but to get a slight bias to the rear we ended up with the front quite high. We had the front/rear split at 49%/51%. That's why we tried lowering the front after the first day.

Our theory was that shifting a little more weight to the front may reduce the under steer... maybe we'll try some more caster in conjunction with that and see how we get on.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User GavinR's Avatar
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Good result on the rally, you're obviously going quick even if you have a bit of understeer

Like Gary says, increasing the castor will help the turn in, I think I've got about 4 deg castor and 3 deg camber on mine
    GavinR

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/signaturepics/sigpic2999_8.gif

Thanks

Click image for larger version Name:	Harry Flatters 98.jpg Views:	16 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	36559Try harder springs on the back, say 185lbs and 230 on the front. It seems you have too much grip on the back. But it will grip well in the wet as you have it now. Also I am converting back to leaf springs with coil assist. Seems to be the way forward now, especially with a heavy thick tubed atlas axle.

Racer Decade Plus User Roadsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonSegger View Post
    Thanks all

Gary, we are running compression struts and no anti-rollbar. It was set to 3 degrees caster and 1.5 degrees neg camber before we dropped the front. We didn't measure it afterwards though.
    You should probaply re-measure the angles. They do change when lowering the suspension. Thay could be off now.

Also I'd think of installing an stabilazer to the front. It helps especially when some ammount of caster is applied.

Racer Decade Plus User mexicotait's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

car looks ace mate well done for the recent good results
    Hexham and District Motorclub

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Thanks again all...

Yes, I'm going to try a bit more caster and then set the angles up again. I've also ordered a pair of slightly stiffer rear springs - as they're not too expensive, its a good way to experiment with the handling and see what difference they make.

I had a look at the brakes last night to see what had happened and why the fluid had leaked out. It turned out to be quite simple really... there was no friction material left on the front right pads and one of the pistons had pushed itself into the metal pad backing (as it got very hot I guess...) This let some fluid past the seal. We'd checked the amount of pad material every couple of stages and we knew they were getting low, but I thought there was plenty left to finish the last stages.

So, a replacement piston is on order and a new set of pads are ready to go in. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any damage to the disk.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I fixed the brakes last night.

I took a couple of pics of the knackered brake pad and piston.... you can see the hole on the back of the pad where the piston cut through it. Luckily, the disc looks OK though - which is pretty amazing really.

Anyway, all sorted now. New piston and pads fitted last night, and then I took it up the road to bed them in.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

So, last weekend we did the Lynn Charity Stages rally at Sculthorpe.

We'd changed the rear springs to some slightly stiffer ones and added a little more caster to see if that would help with the understeer at all and were keen to get out in it again.

We got through noise and scrutineering without issue, then it was on to the first stage.

It was very slippery. Even though the weather was good, there was a lot of mud covering the surface of the concrete in places. It was great fun though and despite a spin and overshooting a corner we were still easily catching the Aston in front of us on the first stage.... until an alternator bolt sheared off, causing the alternator body to break.

The body of the alternator fell forwards, taking the alternator belt with it. The bigger problem was that this belt also took the dry sump pump belt off - whilst I was at full throttle coming out of a corner. I killed the engine pretty quickly, and we don't think any damage has been done, but it's now coming out and going back to Paul Dunnell for a routine check over anyway, along with some new bits he wants to try.

Here's a few pics from the Digital Motorsport site - but of course there's not many due to a DNF on stage 1:
    http://www.digitalmotorsport.co.uk/d...12B%20(1).html

...and of course I still don't really know if the springs and caster change have made any difference, as it was just so slippery I couldn't really tell.

I've also posted up some video footage of us from the Richard Burns Memorial Rally back in August at RAF Marham to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhW2yW8XOGsYouTube- RBMR2009.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

I saw you'd retired at Sculthorpe - hope there's not too much damage

Nice pics
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GavinR View Post
    I saw you'd retired at Sculthorpe - hope there's not too much damage

Nice pics
    Cheers

Yes, fingers crossed. I'll find out in the next week or so.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

So the engine went back to Paul Dunnell and it needed new big end bearings, but other than that it had got away without any other damage. I got the engine back just before Christmas and Mark and I spent a couple of very cold January weekends at the farm getting it back in and running again in time for the Bentwaters stages rally yesterday.

This was the first rally to be held at Bentwaters so we didn't really know what to expect. It was fantastic. The stages were very good. Some real nice flowing fast bends and some extremely slippery muddy sections. I loved it. Other than one of the master cylinder resevoirs developing a leak and my co-driver Mark feeling sick, we had a fairly drama free day.

The car held together perfectly and we finished 12th overall and 6th in class - which we were happy with after the troubles we had last time. (I'll post some pics if I receive any.)

So a quick spanner check is needed now and then on to Goodwood in a fortnight.

Spanner Monkey
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Jon,
    Good to see you out on the Bentwaters stages. I was marshalling and came to say hello during the lunch service (cup of tea in hand) but there was no one around the car. Guess you must have been in the queue for the burger van.
    Had a good look over the car though
    The engine and exhaust are very impressive.

The stages looked really good, we had a drive of them at the end of the day - we were clearing up cones, honest.
    I am aiming to have my car finished for next years event.

John

My Race Car
    Thanks

Thats a bit of good news Jon, and well done on the result and good luck for Goodwood

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quantumjohn View Post
    Jon,
    Good to see you out on the Bentwaters stages. I was marshalling and came to say hello during the lunch service (cup of tea in hand) but there was no one around the car. Guess you must have been in the queue for the burger van.
    Had a good look over the car though
    The engine and exhaust are very impressive.

The stages looked really good, we had a drive of them at the end of the day - we were clearing up cones, honest.
    I am aiming to have my car finished for next years event.

John
    Ah we went for a wander around during the lunch break - the only real chance we got to see a lot of the other cars. It's a shame I missed you though - hopefully say hello next time.

Yes, get yours done for next year - it was a really good rally. Great stages and very well organised. And nice and local for me too - which is a nice change.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Retromotorsport View Post
    Thats a bit of good news Jon, and well done on the result and good luck for Goodwood
    Cheers

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I'm due an update I think....

A fortnight after Bentwaters we did the South Downs Stages at Goodwood. We've done this one a few times now and it is always a friendly, laid-back event. We had one incident where we approached an exceptionally tight chicane too fast and had to stop and reverse to get round - a bit embarrasing, but there was a lot of people made the same mistake, so I didn't feel too bad. Then on one of the stages we lost power. It felt like it was the coil pack or an ignition driver so I backed right off to prevent damaging the engine, thinking that it would still be pumping fuel into the bores but not firing.

When we got back to service and investigated, it turned out to be a broken wire on one of the injector plugs. This was fixed in time for the next stage and we were up and running again. Despite all the time that we had lost, we still finished 5th in class and 12th overall - and got the trophy for 'Best Southsea finisher'.

Then, last weekend, we had the Spring Stages at Sculthorpe. This was a great weekend for us. After stage 4 on the Saturday evening we were 8th overall and 1st in class. Then on stage 6, Sunday morning, a combination of trying to squeeze too much mileage out of the rear tyres and lack of driver talent ended up with a spin and our car briefly beached on a tyre. I then stalled the engine trying to drive over the tyre and it took a few tries to start it again. The car behind caught us, so we lost at least 30 seconds and must have dropped a few places.

We came in to service and put some new tyres on the rear for the remaining stages. This transformed the car and we had some grip again. The next few stages felt quick. We had avoided looking at the results during the day, but going into the last stage we were told that we were leading our class. Thankfully, that last stage was fairly uneventful and we held on to the class win and had made it back up to 8th overall.

I haven't seen any pics yet, but I'll post some up if I get any.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Nice work Jon! That's an excellent acheivement even with the mistake. I think it's a rule that you have to have at least one slightly over zealous moment during a rally!

Are the South Downs stages actually at Goodwood Circuit? What's the noise limit there now?

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Well done

When are you out next?
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mervhill View Post
    Nice work Jon! That's an excellent acheivement even with the mistake. I think it's a rule that you have to have at least one slightly over zealous moment during a rally!

Are the South Downs stages actually at Goodwood Circuit? What's the noise limit there now?
    Cheers

Yes, the rally takes place at the circuit. Its a really nice event and they allow spectators in for free, which is a nice change to the usual airfield ones we do where no spectators are allowed. http://www.southdownsstages.co.uk/

(I think the noise limit was 102 decibels.)

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Well done

When are you out next?
    Cheers...

We'll probably do the Middlewick stages at Woodbridge in May - that's nice and local for me. http://www.mcac.co.uk/events/middlew...stages2010.htm

...and possibly squeeze in a track day at Woodbridge this Saturday 24th. I'm on the reserve list at the moment.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

hi m8
    if you dont do the 24th at woodbridge,were all doing the 22nd next month

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esccossie666 View Post
    hi m8
    if you dont do the 24th at woodbridge,were all doing the 22nd next month
    Ah, I go on holiday on the 22nd May, so can't do that one -

We should book ahead and get a big Turbosport turnout at one of the Woodbridge days later on in the year.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Ah, I go on holiday on the 22nd May, so can't do that one -

We should book ahead and get a big Turbosport turnout at one of the Woodbridge days later on in the year.
    Sounds like a plan to me Jon, are the trackdays on any of those narrow overgrown side roads that look super slippy though?!

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Sounds like a plan to me Jon, are the trackdays on any of those narrow overgrown side roads that look super slippy though?!
    The rallies at Woodbridge generally weave in and out of the buddleia bushes - but the track days don't use them and have loads of run-off room. Which is a good thing, I've seen the damage that some of those bushes have done to cars...

My Race Car
    Thanks

The rallies at Woodbridge generally weave in and out of the buddleia bushes - but the track days don't use them and have loads of run-off room. Which is a good thing, I've seen the damage that some of those bushes have done to cars...
    Sounds good then, and not TOO far from Matt and I. Is the rally there good? Might be another one for Matt and Tom to consider.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Sounds good then, and not TOO far from Matt and I. Is the rally there good? Might be another one for Matt and Tom to consider.
    I've not actually competed in a rally at Woodbridge yet, but I think they're generally pretty tight and twisty and quite slippery - using lots of the side roads and lanes between the bushes. Lots of sideways action.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

We'll probably do the Middlewick stages at Woodbridge in May - that's nice and local for me. http://www.mcac.co.uk/events/middlewick%20stages/mws2010/middlewickstages2010.htm
    If everything goes to plan, I'll see you there

I did a gymkhana there earlier in Feb, round the buildings then in and out of the bushes, great fun

Difficult to say how slippy a stage rally would be, it was raining hard on the gymkhana so it was slippery everywhere
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

If everything goes to plan, I'll see you there

I did a gymkhana there earlier in Feb, round the buildings then in and out of the bushes, great fun

Difficult to say how slippy a stage rally would be, it was raining hard on the gymkhana so it was slippery everywhere
    Ah fantastic, see you there hopefully!

Tony should be there too I think. He finished first overall at Sculthorpe last weekend in his Evo.

Thanks

Myself and my Dad are our in the mk6 now with a Duratec so letting him shake it down before we take it in the forests!!

See you all there! Dont think we will come anywhere with the old boy driving hahaha
    Going Sideways is the way Forward!

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BDA_IT View Post
    Myself and my Dad are our in the mk6 now with a Duratec so letting him shake it down before we take it in the forests!!

See you all there! Dont think we will come anywhere with the old boy driving hahaha
    Ah, didn't see this post in time...

I spotted you were there - I did wander over at one point but it didn't look like you were around at the time. It was verrry slippery wasn't it... not a good day to be on slicks. Lots of fun though.

Thanks

Yeah we were there i popped over in the morning showed dad your install whlie we were chatting to John and Lousie. We had a good day ive had enough of navigating now need to get my driving fix again, i had been navigating for a historic mk2 on the BTRDA rounds and i just need to get back out there! Dukeries is next for us!

How did you get on? Yeah slippy but i like the rain our engine in lovely just leave her in 3rd alot of the time now because has much more tourqe than the BDA! We finished 24th O/A jsut behind the Anglebox lol
    Going Sideways is the way Forward!

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Oh well - we must definitely say hello next time then...

We finished 15th O/A, 7th in class. I was struggling a bit with a combination of too much power and not enough talent. We had great fun in the wet though - a few spins but no damage. We were on slicks - although to be fair they were soft-ish ones with cuts in, but we still had no grip. And my throttle is pretty much on or off which made it difficult to put the power down in the corners - so that's something to work on.

Its the first rally we've done at Woodbridge. Some of those blind corners through the buddleia bushes came up pretty quick, didn't they. It was good to see Gavin get a good result.

I think the Richard Burns Rally at RAF Marham will be our next one in August.

My Race Car
    Thanks

I was struggling a bit with a combination of too much power and not enough talent.
    An honest statement, and one that can be worked on.
    I would definatly say get the throttle ratio sorted, ages ago i was looking at a trace from a throttle pedal, and the minute adjustments the driver made where astounding, the wheel speed/road speed trace showed when wheelspin occured .. the slight lift driver did resumed traction. It went on to show how as the tyres went off, fuel load changed, the driver % of throttle changed, by tiny ammounts. It went on to discuss the merits of on/off switches or progressive pedals for both brakes and throttle, with throttle being cammed to allow larger movements of the pedal at small throttle openings and small pedal movements when approaching full throttle ..
    I tried to find it again on Google, but everything is about Piquet's WOT on his crash into the wall .

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Yes. I have a grp4 throttle pedal which, compared to a standard one, has a longer distance between the pivot point and the end where the cables attach - so this doesn't help the pedal ratio. The trouble is, I didn't have the option of keeping the standard pedal because I needed the throttle cable to come through the top of the inner wing in order to clear the exhaust.

...so I just need to devote a little bit of time thinking up a better way to do it.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Iin August we competed on the 2010 Richard Burns Memorial Rally. There were a few Turbosporters at this one. It was great fun. Lots of info and a write-up here: Richard-Burns-Memorial-Rally-RAF-Marham-August-14th-15th

I received the DVD yesterday. Here's a ripped section of us in action:

Bodger

Thanks

Great video. It was a nice touch to give an individualised dvd to all the competitors.

Your car looks really well balanced, you've obviously got the handling well sorted.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Yes, I think we're really getting to grips with the setup now. Its got plenty of power (too much in the wet) and the handling is pretty good now. I need better brakes though. The 13" Wilwoods just aren't up to the job any more. I'm planning on flogging any unwanted spares and bits and pieces to save up for some decent brakes and a swap to 15" wheels at some point. I also still need to do something to give the throttle linkage a little more travel. It's pretty much on or off at the moment - which is OK in the dry, but hard work in the wet.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

You need some AP's then

If you do go to 15" give me a shout, I might be interested in your 13" wheels and tyres

Will you be out at Woodbridge this time?
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Hi Gavin...

Not sure yet about Woodbridge - it depends: http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthre...=1#post1716422

I'd like to, I'll see what progress I make over the next few days.

+ Reply to Thread