User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2L pinto fast road - Kennely roller cam - EFI

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

2L pinto fast road - Kennely roller cam - EFI

Time to share my results, this site is a great resource for information and inspiration.

Road only car, 79 Sundowner Panno.
    Previous mechanical cam/follower wipe out led me to chase potential reliability of a roller set up.
    Getting hold of a non-race cam is the hard part! Kennely Cams in New Zealand came to the rescue, custom profile on steel blank.

Application of some modern tech to the old pinto as an alternative to a modern engine conversion.
    Top end:
    • Kennely roller cam, inlet 292 (239@050) 12mm lift, exhaust 282 (239@050) 12mm lift.
    • U.S. pinto roller followers.
    • Valves 44.4mm & 38mm, 7mm stems, small beehive valve springs, custom lash caps.
    • Mild porting, inlet port runner Ø36, Exhaust std size square outlet.
    • 11:1 C.R.
    Bottom end:
    • Crower Sportman rods 137mm long.
    • Cast light weight pistons, 22mm pins, 92mm bore.
    • Stock crank, doweled steel flywheel.
    • Balanced.
    • Wet sump with small crank scraper.
    External:
    • Sierra EFI manifold, cold air intake.
    • Adaptronic ECU, crank trigger, LS coils, motorcycle spark plugs 12mm with adapters.
    • Generic off the shelf 4-2-1 headers (forgot the name, the name tag fell off about five years ago) thermal wrapped, everything nearby was melting.
    • 2-1/4" pipe through small hot dog and tri-flow muffer, 2" tail pipe. After many failed attempts to get it quiet enough for road use, the local exhaust shop ran the car on the hoist and tested mufflers until they found one quiet enough, though they suggested it would loose power.
    I don't have torque figures, but the four plots show advance/retard results, optimised fuel/spark at each run, best result with valve timing as specified, I cant find the result from the final tune, was 134.4 I think.
    Readings in top gear with 3.54:1 diff, Km/h will be true but rpm is only half of screen value due to wasted spark.
    Attachment 82209 Attachment 82210 Attachment 82211

Ignition timing concerned me, other threads suggest 36-38° all in at 3-3.5k, nothing like what mine is.
    98 octane, is my C.R. too high?
    Click image for larger version Name:	Ignition maps.png Views:	131 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	82212

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0748.jpg‎  

IMG_0747.jpg‎  

IMG_0746.jpg‎  

Last edited by sundownermatt; 11-02-2018 at 03:54.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: 2L pinto fast road - Kennely roller cam - EFI

Original rev limit was 6500rpm, hence the sudden drop up top.
    I think the cam is a little wild for a std geared car, it will run OK down to 1700rpm, but starts to work properly at 2500rpm.
    Cheers
    Last edited by sundownermatt; 11-02-2018 at 04:37.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

30-32 is about right for most pintos. A lot of people run more but they don’t gain anything at the top end from doing so, iirc it comes from people advancing the distributor to get more advance at idle on highly tuned motors and as a result they get the 36-38degrees peak.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Yeah, mine is happy to idle 16-20deg. range.
    ECU makes it adjustments easy, dissy re-graphing is a compromise I guess.
    At what ambient air temp are you guys running 30-32?
    I have recently added manifold air temp retard to stop knock, starting at -3°/45°C. The other day was 47°C ambient air temp, hottest place on earth, manifold air would have been 55+!
    When I rebuild will probably drop the comp, but am waiting for more dyno time to test some water injection.
    On the plus side, economy is good. I get an extra 50km out of a tank compared to the standard engine.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Compression is spot on only 1 hp different from when advancing and retarting camshaft from what i can see on dyno chart.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theduck View Post
    30-32 is about right for most pintos. A lot of people run more but they don’t gain anything at the top end from doing so, iirc it comes from people advancing the distributor to get more advance at idle on highly tuned motors and as a result they get the 36-38degrees peak.
    one point to add, a lot of stuff written about pintos is from years ago, certainly back in vizards heyday when we were all running leaded fuel, leaded fuel burnt slower, which is why when unleaded came in the garage trade was busy retarding the timing on everything by several degrees

+ Reply to Thread