User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shortening rec pinto valves.

Bodger

Thanks

Shortening rec pinto valves.

Has anyone shortened rec valves with any success? I had a set of ferrea valves in my engine which I shortened .040" to get the lift I wanted from my cam, the engine ran well all season. I have now stripped the engine to check things over and have found 3 of the 8 valves have worn on the tip. The follower have put a small groove in the centre of the valves.

I have ordered a set of rec valves from gs valves in the closest length to what I had but I would like to take .015-.020" from the inlets only to get back to the same lift I had from the shortened ferrea valves.

Has anyone shortened rec pinto valves without then wearing the tips out? I would prefer to have the same lift as I had but don't want the same thing to happen again. The ferrea valves were stainless with a hardened tip.

thanks joe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7B0lspsmQ

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Shortening rec pinto valves.

I understand that REC valves are stellite tipped so I don't think you can shorten them.
    I spoke to one of the guys at REC a few weeks ago and they were very helpful - worth giving them a call to see what your options are though.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyWhiteTrash View Post
    I understand that REC valves are stellite tipped so I don't think you can shorten them.
    I spoke to one of the guys at REC a few weeks ago and they were very helpful - worth giving them a call to see what your options are though.

Yes they are very helpful, Andy recommended I didn't take anything off. I was hoping he was only saying that to be 100% safe and cover themselves, I was hoping to hear others have shortened them without issue..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7B0lspsmQ

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Take their advice, if they say don't shorten them then don't as you're only asking for trouble. A little less lift is going to cost cost you next to nothing in terms off BHP.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Shortening any valves and using lash caps may be an option providing that there is enough room bewteen the lash cap and the cotter/retainer.
    REC valves or even Burton valves better not to be shortened.

+ Reply to Thread