User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help planning turbo build in a Sierra

Tyre Kicker Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Help planning turbo build in a Sierra

Hello everyone,

I have read quite a few turbo build threads here in TS. Still, I'm seeking some advice as I have troble applying what I've been reading.

Some background first.

The material to work with -
    I have a 92' Sierra with a type 9 gear box, 205 block (low comp setup) and a 2.0 carb head. All STD.
    The internals are all beaten up and heavily warn and need replacing. Wich I would any way for a turbo build.

The target to work toward to -
    Not a daily driver. Don't care about fuel efficiency. Don't care about ride comfort. Care about reliability very much, as I want to have more seat time than fixing time. A car for a weekend track day / drift event / car show. Not a full on race car.

The means to work with -
    I have no (yet) real fabrication skills. Can't weld, can't machine/cnc. But willing to learn and have a good set of hands and head. Not affraid to take my dremel to the pinto head, with the right guidance from a pro. Have no local access to performance parts, all has to be ordered on-line from abroad. Want to do as much as I can with my own hands (to learn and have fun) but will out source whatever I can't. Have no access to professional engine builders, so can't do advanced head porting, big valves, strapping the cam towers or alike.

Now, having all that in mind, I need to plan my pinto turbo build (swapping is illegal where I live) and keep the budget sane as I'm not going to say buy a stage X head (thought I loathe the Burton heads).

I ask the following questions only to be generally answered, as each of those can easily fill out an entire forum thread -

Should I take my dremel to the head ports? Exhaust? Or better stay away from the water jacket.

I intend to go injected, should I consider carbs?

Should I refresh the head/block with STD low comp internals or do I need to upgrade? What do I need to upgrade? What should I keep STD?

What tq/hp/rev range should I aim for? STD type 9 which I really want to last.

Should I go the turbo or super charger routs? Thinking about ease of setup here and linear boost which I think would be beneficial as it acts like an n/a in it's nature.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

Matthew.

Thanks

Re: Help planning turbo build in a Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by sigurko View Post
    ...Don't care about fuel efficiency...
    ...I loathe the Burton heads...
    Please excuse my bad English, wanted to say that:
    - I don't care bout fuel economy, I care very much about fuel efficiency -)
    - I love (LOVE not loathe) the Burton heads. Silly me.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Hard to know where to start here.

T9 is not a strong box....not much more to say there....but then a weak clutch might save it

A turbo setup will be much easier to DIY than a supercharger and parts will be more readily available.

If you cannot, or have never tuned either a carb or EFI setup before....again, really hard to know what to tell you. EFI will be more expensive and ultimately better...but tuning could be deemed another skill in itself and is something even those professing to be actual tuners make a complete ballix of nevermind amateurs or complete novices.
    And if you've no local support to help you.....it will be a steep learning curve.

A carb could be easier...but again...will require good working knowledge of how one works...and even more so how to make one happy with boost.

Head work....IMO a very basic cleanup, smooth the throat and leave it at that. Keep it simple. Don't waste your money here given the nature of what you want to do.

But to start.....buy some books on the subject. As much as the internet is a great resource, dont overlook paper. I havent read any of these books...but something like these might be helpful. Hopefully by the time something makes it to print...it shouldnt be total rubbish.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Turboch...to+turbocharge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Modify-...s=vizard+pinto

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sierra-Cosw...d+pinto+tuning

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbochargi...=turbocharging

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-T...fuel+injection

And whilst I did not think this book any good....it does still cover some basics...much too basic really but for a beginner they'd maybe see more value in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Mana...fuel+injection
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    Hard to know where to start here.
    Thank You for the books suggested. I already am reading the Vizard and Des books.
    I find the Des book more applicable for myself, as Vizard seems to be aiming for a full on race implementation stuff.

I do have local enthusiasts support and tuning EFI is something that I can achieve better, with local help, than a carb tuning. That is one of the reasons that I've chose that path.
    That is also most likely why I'll go the turbo rather the super charger route. More local knowledge there.

You have confirmed my thoughts that for my objective there is no need in heavy head modifications in a forced induction application. Thanks for that -)

So, I now need help to decide what tq/hp/rev range to aim for, in order to have a reliable setup, which would not kill my type-9, and that would meet my stated objectives to some reasonable extent.
    I read here in TS that 200hp can be handled by type-9 but than again I read that it's the TQ that kills them, not the HP.
    Any pointers here would be greatly appreciated.

Once I determine the target tq/hp/rev range, I can start planning the required engine internals.

Many thanks,
    Matthew.

Thanks

So, I now need help to decide what tq/hp/rev range to aim for, in order to have a reliable setup, which would not kill my type-9...

Once I determine the target tq/hp/rev range, I can start planning the required engine internals.
    I found a great thread that answers this question right here (by several very reputable TS users, one of whom is Graham) -
    http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159569

Saying that torque wise type-9 should be solid for 200 lb ft and that 300 lb ft will kill it immediately.
    So I guess that in the middle of that range I'll be okay. Obviously depending on driving style and clutch.

Now, knowing that, I need to approach that last standing question -

In a turbo setup, aiming at 250 lb ft of TQ, at reasonable RPM, s
    hould I refresh the head/block (carb 2.0/205) with STD low comp internals or do I need to use uprated internals?

Thanks

As long as the pistons do not have any large cutouts in them behind the oil ring, I'd be happy enough just using them as they are.

But without seeing what you have it's impossible to say. Crank/rods would be fine though

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As long as the pistons do not have any large cutouts in them behind the oil ring, I'd be happy enough just using them as they are.

But without seeing what you have it's impossible to say. Crank/rods would be fine though
    As I mentioned in the original post:
    - The internals are all beaten up and heavily worn and need replacing.

So, from what You are saying, I should be okay with STD low comp c
    rank/rods. That is great.

However what exactly do you mean by saying:
    - the pistons do not have any large cutouts in them behind the oil ring

If I would now search for pistons to buy, what would I be looking for to accommodate that? What to look for? Specific piston name/type/brand?

Also, am I good with the STD head internals (valves, cam, springs, etc) or are there considerations there as well?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

As I mentioned in the original post:

So, from what You are saying, I should be okay with STD low comp c
    rank/rods. That is great.

However what exactly do you mean by saying:
    all standard cast i.e not forged pinto pistons have large slots in the oil control groves, which leaves the ringlands for the compression rings weak, and is where std pistons break, all brands are the same. so if you want a strong piston find a forged piston or piston out some other engine.

the piston is the only really weak part of the engine, next weakest point from a turbo perspective is the head gasket. so if i was building a turbo pinto engine on a budget, i would have stronger pistons, standard head, injection one would be better, a std cam or something mild, like a 134 and a stronger head gasket.

such and engine should cope with 1 bar of boost and have a decent long life, and would give double a standard pinto engines power and torque, for gearbox, an MT75 is probably a good bet

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    if i was building a turbo pinto engine on a budget, i would have stronger pistons, standard head, injection one would be better, a std cam or something mild, like a 134 and a stronger head gasket.

such and engine should cope with 1 bar of boost and have a decent long life, and would give double a standard pinto engines power and torque, for gearbox, an MT75 is probably a good bet
    Thank You, Graham!!! This is exactly the kind of guidance I was looking for.

What comp ratio should I aim for with a setup like this?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i dont know how your going to manage the ignition timing, but subject to being able to find a away to retard the ignition as the boost comes in i would say keep the turbo size fairly small and go for around 8.5-9.1, standard pinto is 9.2, so maybe keep the boost down 0.6-0.8 bar and run the standard compression ratio, that way it will be lag free and economical on fuel off boost, in fact it should drive like a standard v6 or v8 engine nice and torquey

Thanks

i would say keep the turbo size fairly small and go for around 8.5-9.1, standard pinto is 9.2
    To achieve that, am I better off with a short compression height piston combined with a long rod?
    For an example like this one:
    "Accralite forged piston 90.93mm Ford 2.0 SOHC Pinto FT132/91" -
    http://www.burtonpower.com/accralite...-ft132-91.html

Or, are the benefits of those is less relevant, in a forced induction application, and I should go with a STD rod and a higher compression height piston?
    "Accralite forged piston 90.93mm Ford 2.0 SOHC Pinto long rod type FT135/91" -
    http://www.burtonpower.com/accralite...-ft135-91.html

Or, finally, should I go with a piston that can be machined plenty to suit my application?
    "Accralite forged piston 92mm: Ford Cosworth YB 35mm compression height SC303/92" (Can be machined down to 30mm) -
    http://www.burtonpower.com/forged-pi...-sc303-92.html

Thanks

To achieve that, am I better off with a short compression height piston combined with a long rod?
    I think that I've found a general answer to the above question in this TS thread
    "Pinto build advice" -
    http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=928147

if you ask me, for the average fast pinto the long rod route is not justified
    the wossners certainly are a thinner piston and have more odd bits machined away to save weight and i can clearly see why they are not favoured in high boost yb applications.
    So, AFAIU, short rod/long piston is the preferred configuration for a forced intake Pinto application.

Thanks

I would prefer a long rod and shorter piston every time, especially as the standard rods are so short to start with

But...there is no reason in this case to justify spending the extra money on new rods. But if you are intent on buying new rods and pistons...then go for the long rod.

Thanks

I have built a number of Pinto turbos and my advise for the first build is to use cheap parts to learn on.

Start with a standard low compression (8.2:1) or mid compression (the catalytic engine, 8.55:1).

Use a programmabe EFI (it IS worth the money), be it Megasquirt, MaxxECU street or whatever you find locally.

At 0,6-0,8 bar an engine like this will last unless you get detonation, it will give enough power to be fun, but not enough torque to kill the type 9.

It's a good start to know how far you want to take the next build. I think it is easier and cheaper to learn how to do the work if you stay away from custom internals to start with. Otherwise you risk ruining expensive parts with simple mistakes ;-)

Gustaf

18. The Following User Says Thank You to therealpinto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all for the great advice and informative answers.
    Your answers have fully satisfied my questions.

I will come back with more concrete questions, in a new thread, once I start the build.

Thanks again,
    Matthew.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

dont bother with long rod/short piston, it will be a waste of time/money. even on really high rpm engines, there is little proof that long rods really do any good, infact in some engines they are a negative, sure piston acceleration is slowed, which might be good for friction, but that can have an adverse effect on cylinder filling.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I would also stick with Grahams engine advice. For a reliable and cheap 180 - 200 Bhp Pinto, all you need is:

-standard block, forged pistons (this is indeed the weak link) and to be save 8,5/1 will do the job.
    -turbo which can handle 200 Bhp
    -preferable Cometic gasket but a good Reinz, O-ring or Felpro will do the job
    -standard Pinto EFI inlet setup with programmed ECU
    -no head work other than a nice rebuild with quality valves like ATE and a slightly stronger set of valve springs
    -use standard cam (save money on cam and head work and use I for a good dyno session).

By the way, if this is your first engine build I'm worried. It all sound simple but it's not for a virgin engine builder

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onyd View Post
    I would also stick with Grahams engine advice...

By the way, if this is your first engine build I'm worried. It all sound simple but it's not for a virgin engine builder
    Thank you for the build advice. This is indeed the route that I am taking.

This is indeed my first build.

The only task I'm undertaking by myself, unsupervised, is dismantling and cleaning the engine.

For everything else I'll be looking for local people with hands on know-how on engine assembly, to guide me through the process.

And off course I'll be seeking advice here in TS every step of the way -)

Matthew.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Good plan, most important, your ECU programmer.

Thanks

the piston is the only really weak part of the engine, next weakest point from a turbo perspective is the head gasket
    Quote Originally Posted by therealpinto View Post
    Start with a standard low compression (8.2:1) or mid compression (the catalytic engine, 8.55:1).
    I was having a conversation with local turbo Pinto enthusiasts, and I am being told that (locally) STD LC 2.0 Pintos are being safely boosted with up to 0.9bar/200bhp, while running on a complete factory engine. With the original pistons and gasket and everything else. That is given a programmable ECU and a good "safe" tune done on a dyno.

So, I come back to re-read this thread, because I was all confused about the contradicting information. And, as I read it closely, I see that here as well, I got two kinds of advice (unless I'm reading this incorrectly, with English not being my mother tongue).

Can I please ask for a more detailed insight into this?
    I am asking because I have an opportunity to purchase a fully re-conditioned STD LC (8.55:1) 2.0 Pinto, with an injection head.
    Really, a beautiful engine, with a lot of the re-conditioning process being documented by video and pictures. However, I do not want to kill it by boosting it.

So, what is Your take on running say 1bar of boost on a all STD LC (8.55:1) 2.0 Pinto, on EFI and being properly tuned?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
    Matthew.

Thanks

Post a picture of the underside of the pistons you wish to use.

Nobody can generically say a piston is no use, until they've seen exactly what you have.

Most boosted engines are killed by bad tuning, rather than the build itself, especially for a low compression low power build. But as has been said, some pistons fair better than others but we need to know exactly what you have.

But yes, 1 bar on a low compression engine should pose almost no trouble at all if tuned correctly.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I sort of agree. You CAN run 1 bar and the engine will last "for a long time".

But, before you get to that tune it's easy to get a boost overshoot to say 1,3 bar at the rev limiter. Pop said the ring land! Been there done that got the scars to prove it ;-)

The thing is, at 1 bar your margins are very slim, that's why I say start at 0,6-0,8 and learn how the engine reacts. When you have a working setup on that boost you will also be able to increse boost and power.

But as you start moving the boost target upwards you will need a better clutch and then the type 9 will be marginal. Another reason to start a bit lower with the boost.

Building an engine with forged pistons (or even "better" cast pistons) will make it more tolerable to mistakes.

I don't really see it as conflicting advise, rather different takes on the subject. It's also a bit different how you give people advise. Some people will read my first sentence as "a Pinto with 1 bar will never break" and those people are usually the same people who can break anything, anytime ;-)

Gustaf

30. The Following User Says Thank You to therealpinto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therealpinto View Post
    The thing is, at 1 bar your margins are very slim, that's why I say start at 0,6-0,8 and learn how the engine reacts.
    I intend to start very low on the boost, along the 0.6 lines, exactly for that reason. When I feel confident in the setup and the tuner, I'll move up, a "click at a time" -).

Thank you Gustaf for the advice !!

Thanks

Post a picture of the underside of the pistons you wish to use.
    I do not have an actual picture of the pistons installed in the reconditioned engine, that I mentioned above, that I am considering to purchase

However, I'm being told that these are standard (factory) low comp cast pistons, something along these lines:

http://www.burtonpower.com/media/cat...0/20152STD.jpg

Thanks

Would need to see the underside, or the side view with the oil ring removed to see the construction in that area.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

The point is, where is the line for "reliable". 0,7 bar is reliable. 1 bar and you are just waiting for an error. Little bit to long at full speed with just a bit less quality fuel or a good hot summer day or anything else that can promote pinking and done. A good tune, yes you can set fuel very rich (no longer making your 200 Bhp because of to rich mixture) or use knock sensor and let ignition take out all the power. That's also no advance.

When we talk about reliable, 1 bar is not. Engine running 1 bar and standard pistons and survive are engine which are driven by people who know how they can keep it save by using the power correct. If you start pushing it will go down sooner or later. If you try to save money and use standard pistons, I should stay under 700 mbar.
    Last edited by Dyno; 11-03-2018 at 23:54.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Dyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you tune it badly then expect it to be unreliable.

If not, then there should be almost no risk. 1 bar is not a lot of boost on such a low compression engine, unless you have no intercooler. But with that low CR you would never need to push timing hard either....which again adds a huge safety margin

But again, in part it does come down to piston design. Many will have the big slots, but not all hence that needs to be known first. But if happy to buy new pistons then it's easy to cover that aspect when building by buying decent ones that are more robust.

But it's clear the biggest risk here will be the tuning ( and build I guess ) because this is a first attempt and learning scenario....so there probably will be "bad tuning" in there simply because of that

But it is easy to take baby steps

37. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Little bit to long at full speed with just a bit less quality fuel or a good hot summer day or anything else that can promote pinking and done
    If you tune it badly then expect it to be unreliable. If not, then there should be almost no risk. 1 bar is not a lot of boost on such a low compression engine, unless you have no intercooler... But again, in part it does come down to piston design. Many will have the big slots, but not all hence that needs to be known first...
    I'll start by using the services of a reputable local tuner. I'll definitely get dirty with it myself, just not right at the start. Baby steps it is.

There will be an intercooler, knock sensor and a high'is octane fuel. Our pump fuel is 98 and since it's not a daily, I'll use quality additives to bump up to 100~105. Unfortunately, e85 is very hard to get a hold of.

If I go for the reconditioned engine purchase, I'll keep it under 1bar and have to mind my driving manners (we have hot weather ~9 months a year). Just don't want to pop open a freshly reconditioned engine, it sounds so good, not like an average Pinto that runs like a "sack full of nails" -)

Once I decide to push it past 1bar (or in case I end-up rebuilding my own lump instead of going for the purchase) I'll definitely invest in a set of good pistons, gasket and bolts.

Loads of good advice here. Really, this forum and it's user/contributor base is a gem!!

Thanks a lot!!
    Matthew.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

If you run E85 you will not have problems, if you really going to use 1 bar and standard pistons, one day it will fail, specially in high climate. Here we got a lot of Beetle engines, all air cooled. The small T2 vans don't have real problems here as long as build an tuned correct. Those used to go on holidays and run to the south of France or Italy do have problems very very quick. Minimum what is wrong the engine will fail.

Don't relay on octane boosters, it not going to make it much safer. There are not working as we'll as they are sold for. I NEVER use them and advice not to use them at all. Water / Methanol injection is a much better option.

Thanks

Again, you're after a low power, low compression setup. No fancy fuels or additives are required. Standard 97/98RON is more than adequate for a very safe build.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

About the safety and piston design. I do agree, if you don't have the "slot" type piston, a more boost can be tolerated with less risk. But I've never seen any Pinto piston without this (weak) slot design. As far as I remember there where only 2 makes, KolbenSmith and Mahle. Slightly different in design but both with slot.

Taking out more advance is not a good idea, first of all, power wil drop, so why setting more boost for more power and taking back out the power with less advance. And second, when you really start to back off advance, the exhaust valve will start to glow, can fail and can and will promote pinking on his own.

Honest, building an engine on standard pistons is ok but stay round 0,7 mbar max. It will make, if correct build round 200 Bhp. For all the rest, 1 bar and more, fit forged pistons. You can buy forged pistons very cheap today. If you feel this is the place to save money on your turbo brick, you are doing things wrong. Save money on other places but not on a piston for turbo use over 1 bar. For example, your don't need a modded head, nor do you need an other camshaft etc..

Thanks

About the safety and piston design. I do agree, if you don't have the "slot" type piston, a more boost can be tolerated with less risk. But I've never seen any Pinto piston without this (weak) slot design. As far as I remember there where only 2 makes, KolbenSmith and Mahle. Slightly different in design but both with slot.

Taking out more advance is not a good idea, first of all, power wil drop, so why setting more boost for more power and taking back out the power with less advance. And second, when you really start to back off advance, the exhaust valve will start to glow, can fail and can and will promote pinking on his own.

Honest, building an engine on standard pistons is ok but stay round 0,7 mbar max. It will make, if correct build round 200 Bhp. For all the rest, 1 bar and more, fit forged pistons. You can buy forged pistons very cheap today. If you feel this is the place to save money on your turbo brick, you are doing things wrong. Save money on other places but not on a piston for turbo use over 1 bar. For example, your don't need a modded head, nor do you need an other camshaft etc..
    Nobody said to take out advance nor really back off advance. But you also do not need to try and run things on the ragged edge.

Tuning is not difficult to get right, despite how many people seem to blow things up. And on a low CR, low boost setup...it should be incredibly difficult to get it so wrong it does break stuff.

It's just a fun car he's building...not an endurance racer. Even at 1 bar the safe tuning window will be very wide on regular 97/98

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

The problem with the Ford Piston is, the ring land collapse when it sees a bit of Power, it start consuming oil and will later detonate because of this oil. Little you can do about it.

1 bar is at the edge, not save window unless you got a piston with no slots.

Thanks

I'm well aware of the pistons, hence I stated this in my very first post.

Under no circumstances would I use pistons with the slots for boost, unless it was already built and I didnt care about the risk of them breaking at some point.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Honest, I've never seen any other as the slot Pistons in any Pinto (also not 1600 cc) and I'm into Pinto's for about 32 years. Maybe they have build small quantities of other engines but I'm 100% sure they will be very rare and not fitted in his engine.

I agree with you, if the Pinto Piston would look like a Volvo B21 engine I would indeed say it is save over 1 bar.

Bodger

Thanks

I basically agree with everything written here except that I do not understand how you define the reliability only by using boost pressure. Different turbos create different airflow at the same pressure, therefore different torque which kills the piston.
    My small experience suggests that 260Nm/4400RPM and approx. 200 BHP was fine (boost pressure was 0,7), full boost at ~4100-4200 RPM as far as I remember.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

airflow cant vary that much or boost pressure would change considerably

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kliobas View Post
    I basically agree with everything written here except that I do not understand how you define the reliability only by using boost pressure. Different turbos create different airflow at the same pressure, therefore different torque which kills the piston.
    My small experience suggests that 260Nm/4400RPM and approx. 200 BHP was fine (boost pressure was 0,7), full boost at ~4100-4200 RPM as far as I remember.
    Using boost as a guide is a very very crude way of estimating what an engine might handle as you are quite correct.

A GT25 at 10psi will not be moving the same volume of air as sat a GT35 at 10psi and power/torque available from the two would be very different, as would loadings on the engine. Although the two would also have rather different driving characteristics too with power bands in very different places.

But detonation will kill any engine....keep clear of this as will be easy for a low compression low boost build and it should be very easy to make the engine live a long happy life. The only caveat as already mentioned is the pistons with big slots. Just dont bother using them

Thanks

airflow cant vary that much or boost pressure would change considerably
    Different turbos will yield very very different power at same boost pressure..

Something like a small GT30 might be hard pushed on a decent 2.0 4cyl engine at say 5-550hp at 30psi. Stick a GT42 on it and it could easily yield 2-300hp more at same boost pressure.
    Same could be said for a baby T3 vs a GT30

Thanks

The only caveat as already mentioned is the pistons with big slots. Just dont bother using them
    Please educate me. Could you, or anyone else on this thread, post a picture of a "good" and "bad" piston, where the relevant difference is visible, and point that difference out, with a big red arrow -)

Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread