User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I知 dumb MOT question

Bodger

Thanks

I知 dumb MOT question

New regs re MOT exemption from May .I can稚 seem to find how you apply for said exemption.Only form I can see ,V112 just mentions pre 1960 vehicles.Can someone enlighten me,Thanks

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: I知 dumb MOT question

Quote "Keepers of VHIs exempt from periodic testing continue to be responsible for their vehicle’s roadworthiness. Keepers of vehicles over 40 years old can voluntarily submit vehicles for testing.

Keepers of VHIs claiming an exemption from the MoT test should make a declaration when renewing their vehicle tax. The responsibility to ensure the declared vehicle is a VHI and meets the criteria, rests with the vehicle keeper as part of their due diligence. If a vehicle keeper is not sure of the status of a vehicle, they can consult a marque or historic vehicles expert, a list of whom will be available on the website of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.

If a vehicle keeper cannot determine that the vehicle has not been substantially changed, they should not claim an exemption from the MoT test."

I think that covers it - on the tax renewal.

Bodger

Thanks

So does that mean you can’t renew on line as there is no facility to add a note on on line application?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Maybe not now but after the 18th May - who knows!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Yes that is the date it changes not before. So if your mot is due before that date you either get it mot'd or wait until after May 18th.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

And it raises the question - Just because you can skip the MOT, why would you? And will you clear it with your insurance because they will, no doubt just love to void the policy if they find no proof of roadworthiness, in the event of a claim?
    I haven't heard a squeak from the insurance industry regarding this - obviously keeping quiet!

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

I wouldn't want to skip the mot. It's always nice to have someone else's perspective on the car.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Well we already have no mot for pre 60 cars and not to mention the thousands of historic lorries and buses that didn't need one long before the pre 60 thing either. There has been no MoT stipulation from insurance for those vehicles plus they cant overule the law of the land either. They get out of it by saying in the small print the vehicle must be kept roadworthy.

+ Reply to Thread