User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cop

Bodger

Thanks

Cop

Hi does anyone know if these fit my duratec? Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20180317-115838-140x249.png Views:	283 Size:	13.8 KB ID:	82360
    Last edited by orangepeel; 17-03-2018 at 13:01.

Re: Cop

Not sure on those as the your pic is poor but these will https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-...sAAOSwrnRaa0lH

Iv'e bought from this guy before with no problems

Bodger

Thanks

Yes my pics are rubbish it keeps saying their too big and then when taken below the limit they are crap! Thanks for the link, I'm on it��

Bodger

Thanks

Iv got the cop's but they dont fit to my cam cover, i want to keep the cover. What do other people do?
    I was thinking strip of alloy picking up two of the cam cover bolts.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orangepeel View Post
    Iv got the cop's but they dont fit to my cam cover, i want to keep the cover. What do other people do?
    I was thinking strip of alloy picking up two of the cam cover bolts.
    Like this? ....... http://www.jayracing.com/images/products/IMG_1068.JPG

Thanks

That's a great idea, i wanted to keep my alloy rocker cover but ended up buying a plastic one as it had the holes for COP

Bodger

Thanks

that looks just the job, im out in the cave this afternoon, will get cardboard and scissors busy

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Cop

Quote Originally Posted by 5tox View Post
    ended up buying a plastic one as it had the holes for COP
    Was that a galaxy cover as that is what i have found to have cop as standard

Thanks

i think it was from a fusion or something, cant quite remember
    would prefer to use the ally cover though

Bodger

Thanks

Can you paint the plastic cover? I crackle painted my fibreglass dash binacle and it looks good?

Thanks

i have crackle painted the front timing chest which come out really well but wasn't sure if i'd get the same effect on a plastic cover (you have to bake it in the oven)
    which is why i was keen to keep the ally rocker cover and convert it somehow to COP

Bodger

Thanks

I sat mine above log burner and it crackled lovely. I take it the plastic cover is used to reasonably high temps? I'll post up what I come up with, got a strip of alloy today and made the template so will get onto it over next couple of days.

Bodger

Thanks

Got this done today, only problem is I need one more of the long cam cover bolts, like the one in the second pic, anybody up for it? Click image for larger version Name:	20180404_194409-480x640.jpg Views:	202 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	82587Click image for larger version Name:	20180404_201812-480x640.jpg Views:	201 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	82588

Bodger

Thanks

Here is it in place, not sure if I will paint or polish?Click image for larger version Name:	20180404_201745-480x640.jpg Views:	214 Size:	120.0 KB ID:	82589

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

That looks great. Think i may go that way when i eventually get to that point.

What ECU will you be running and will you be using the the cam sensor ? I will be using megasquirt which i am using a crank trigger for on my pinto and assumed that would work fine for the duratec as well.
    Last edited by wildo105e; 05-04-2018 at 10:45.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks man, aye I'm happy how it's turned out. I'm going dta 60. I have never used an ecu before so I'm getting the local rolling road to set it up so not sure about sensors.

Thanks

That looks really good

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Got this done today, only problem is I need one more of the long cam cover bolts,
    will a long bolt or threaded bar with a nut halfway down not work ?

Bodger

Thanks

Aye it could be a solution but the alloy cover bolts come with a special rubber on them for sealing the oil. The plastic cover uses normal bolts. I might make up a threaded tube to screw onto original bolt then screw in bolt to that.

Bodger

Thanks

I ended up turning up a small threaded spacer that screwed on to the original and let me attach an Allen bolt from above.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Aye it could be a solution but the alloy cover bolts come with a special rubber on them for sealing the oil.
    Could always use a dowty seal or similar.

I ended up turning up a small threaded spacer that screwed on to the original and let me attach an Allen bolt from above.
    Nice solution all round.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    Could always use a dowty seal or similar.

Nice solution all round.
    Aye got there in end��cheers

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Here is it in place, not sure if I will paint or polish?Attachment 82589
    Thats a really neat solution. Looks great. Maybe just keep the polished finish as a nice contrast to the black cam cover?

One question, did you buy the COPs from that eBay link? Are the COPs the same fitment for all Duratecs 2.0, 2.3, 2.5?

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks, yes pleased with it but change of plans might mean it won't be used, iv bit the bullet and ordered a fancy cam cover.
    Yes I got the cop from that link, not sure about fitment. Think all the heads are same.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Thanks, yes pleased with it but change of plans might mean it won't be used, iv bit the bullet and ordered a fancy cam cover.
    Yes I got the cop from that link, not sure about fitment. Think all the heads are same.
    Is your fancy cam cover the one from Dave Willett? If so, its the same as mine. It should take COP fine. It has the bolt holes for them. I'm going to order a set of those COPs from eBay and hopefully they'll fit.

Bodger

Thanks

Aye it's a lovely piece of kit, not in the habit of spending big but this is the exception. Want the wow factor when I open bonnet��

Bodger

Thanks

You guys actually have luck with those? Must get better ones in Europe like all other ford parts. I have a set of these I didnt use because you need an ignitor or stock ecu to run them, they also tend to die easily and when they die they kill the ignitor. Now I can make you guys jealous. I just went and pulled half the coil packs off a chevy truck and use ford ranger duratec ignition wires to be coil near plug.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    I have a set of these I didnt use because you need an ignitor or stock ecu to run them, they also tend to die easily and when they die they kill the ignitor.
    Can you explain further ? I have MegaSquirt which will run a coil pack direct. My plan was to use COP but run as wasted spark format which i believe is possible.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Just to butt in LOL - If the Mega is running a coil pack wasted then it will also run COPs wasted BUT The COP's resistances are usually way lower than a coilpack so they need to be run in series ie 1 & 4 paired together and likewise 2 & 3 - this gets the 'circuit' resistance up to 2.5 - 3ohm which won't hurt the ignition driver amps in the Mega. Only downside (ish) is feed voltage is halved but they seem to cope happily at 6 - 7v ok. Or throw a 1ohm 25w resistor at each one and run parallel wiring with 'full fat' 12v power.
    There are plenty of 2 or 4 channel Ign Amp modules around - VW and Audi routinely use them - they do the heavy current switching leaving the Mega to just to the switching on and off.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

Can you explain further ? I have MegaSquirt which will run a coil pack direct. My plan was to use COP but run as wasted spark format which i believe is possible.
    Most megasquirt builds can only run logic level ignition coils, those would be 3 or 4 wire coils. 2 wire coils are actually powered by the ECU so they draw a lot more current through the signaling wire. You can get cops in the 3/4 wire style coil from most 2000s toyotas, different engines have different boot lengths and I don't know which ones fit duratecs.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

If needed, I have 4 brand new ones coming from a factory engine that I am not going to use.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Just to butt in LOL - If the Mega is running a coil pack wasted then it will also run COPs wasted BUT The COP's resistances are usually way lower than a coilpack so they need to be run in series ie 1 & 4 paired together and likewise 2 & 3 - this gets the 'circuit' resistance up to 2.5 - 3ohm which won't hurt the ignition driver amps in the Mega. Only downside (ish) is feed voltage is halved but they seem to cope happily at 6 - 7v ok. Or throw a 1ohm 25w resistor at each one and run parallel wiring with 'full fat' 12v power.
    There are plenty of 2 or 4 channel Ign Amp modules around - VW and Audi routinely use them - they do the heavy current switching leaving the Mega to just to the switching on and off.
    Sorry for the thread hijack but i am sure others will benefit from it. So i currently have MS with what i believe to be 2 signals 1-4 and 2-3 and also run a live to the coil pack. If i understand correctly i would still run each pair of COPS off the one feed from MS ie 1-4 and 2-3 and give them a 12v feed each. Will i need a resistor as mentioned ? If so does that go in each live and why ? Is just to reduce the power a bit ?

Sorry if these seems silly but i am no electronics guru but appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by wildo105e; 27-05-2018 at 17:58.

Bodger

Thanks

Sorry for the thread hijack but i am sure others will benefit from it. So i currently have MS with what i believe to be 2 signals 1-4 and 2-3 and also run a live to the coil pack. If i understand correctly i would still run each pair of COPS off the one feed from MS ie 1-4 and 2-3 and give them a 12v feed each. Will i need a resistor as mentioned ? If so does that go in each live and why ? Is just to reduce the power a bit ?

Sorry if these seems silly but i am no electronics guru but appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance
    If your ignition coils only have 2 wires the megasquirt can't drive then directly. The MS only provides a low current ground signal for ignition coils, the 2 wire coils trigger with a high current 12v signal. You might be able to get the 2 wire coils to run with a resistor like that but it's going to significantly reduce the life of the ignition circuit in the MS and drastically reduce the coil output, also it will double the charge time of the coils and require you to double the dwell, which will probably hurt your spark output further at high rpms when there's not enough time between spark events for the full amount of dwell.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Hi does anyone know if these fit my duratec? Attachment 82360
    Resurrecting this old thread to ask how these ebay COPs have performed? Three years down the line and the ebay link in the second post is still alive. These COPs seem so cheap compared to the ones from Burtons. Anyone used them? Any quality issues with the ebay ones?

+ Reply to Thread