User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best oil for turbo pinto

Bodger

Thanks

Best oil for turbo pinto

Old tech motor with a hi tech Garrett ball bearing turbocharger. It seems like any choice with oil is going to be a compromise. I've always used a quality, high zinc 20W/50 mineral in NA pintos but it's not a good oil for turbochargers. So what's best option? I have been recommended Redline, ester based full synthetic 15W/50.
    Thanks

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Best oil for turbo pinto

I've gone for Millers Competition Drive 10w-60 https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115231-...ngine-oil.aspx

Although I found out after ordering that Opie Oils would have advised going for a 10w-50 instead

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

I still use a 20W/50 in my Pinto turbo, the Valvoline VR1 Racing.

The producer says it is suitable for turbo use and I kind of trust that. The new engine has only been ran for one summer though so there's not too many hours on it yet.

Gustaf

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks. I have been using Penrite HPR30 20W/60 mineral oil which is also meant to be okay for turbochargers. Nearly all turbochargers are water cooled these days and coking isn't much of a problem anymore.

But Penrite have a nasty habit of saying thier lubricants suit a wide range of applications when they really don't. I've read plenty of good reviews on the Valvoline VR1 but it's not available here in Australia.

+ Reply to Thread